Algo trading Fx

2021 - Week#14

This week was positive. Last week I mentioned dynamic position sizing based on “favourable” conditions. Those “favourable” conditions are…

1. Price is below/above 200 and 21 EMAs
  2. Candle is completely below/above EMAs.
  3. Price is in the range of 35% near 10 days low/high.

This week:

Journey so far:

1 Like

Really interested to see how you are managing.

Have you any thoughts to move into MT5 programming?

@chrisfraser05 I haven’t thought of MT5 programming. Actually I have never used either MT4 or MT5.

2021 - Week#15

Everything happens for a reason! Until mid of the week my Algo didn’t take any trade. I was like, okay at least I’m not losing money :slight_smile: Then I realized that my Dashboard indicated there were multiple solid setups but no trade was taken. I checked my code and everything was looking just fine. Ran backtest code, it took those trades but my live account didn’t. When the next setup happened, fortunately I was in front of my machine, I ran Algo manually and found that I messed up the configuration for Dynamic Position Sizing. Finally fixed it.

Also, after analyzing my trades (~800), I decided to trail my profits. So, once the price reaches my TP price instead of exiting I’m now trailing the price. Combination of dynamic position sizing and trailing profit gave me around 100 pips profit this week. I haven’t seen 100 PIPS profit but many 100 PIPS losses :slight_smile: I hope this is not just one time luck. Will see…

This Week:

Journey so far:

1 Like

Fantastic!!!

Long may it continue!

1 Like

2021 - Week#16

This week ended on a positive note! There were no big positions because of no favorable conditions. Which turned out to be good because I have two open trades which are more than 100 PIPS down but are not that significant in terms of money. Will see how they will end next week…

This Week:

Journey so far:

1 Like

2021 - Week#17

1st positive month after 9 months of gap. I hope this positivity will carry over to next month and beyond. At present I’m ~15% down. In 11 months of live trading I haven’t blown my account. I guess that’s good risk management! :slight_smile:

Journey so far:

1 Like

2021 - Week#18

The good thing is that my losses have reduced because of position sizing. There was no proper setup for a big position this week.

This week:

Journey so far:

2021 - Week#19

I’m loving dynamic position sizing! Lets see how long this love will last because I know it only takes one trade to start hating any strategy. :slight_smile:

I have also started experimenting with a new strategy. I call it ‘NearHighLow’. Strategy is as under…

1. If price on ‘M30’ is within 5% range of 10 days high/low then take reverse trade. So if near high go short and if near low go long.
  2. Stop loss at 20 pips and take profit at 40 pips. However, the catch is that taking profit is hypothetical. Meaning once the price touches 40 pips profit puts a trailing stop at 20 pips. Let your winner run!

As per my backtest this strategy will take 5-6 trades a month per instrument with 65 - 70% win rate. Instruments going to trade will be GBP_NZD,EUR_USD,EUR_NZD,GBP_CHF,EUR_CAD,EUR_AUD. Will see how ‘NearHighLow’ will treat me :slight_smile:

Anyways, this week was nearly a breakeven week. Lost some and recovered some.

This week:

Journey so far:

I like to use those EAs that I have built on my own.
However it’s exciting to see people sharing what strategies worked out for them. Maybe others could consider and implement them as well.

1 Like

2021 - Week#20

I wasn’t expecting these many trades for this week. But it turned out ‘NearHighLow’ strategy took more trades than expected. There were big losses however they got neutralized with big wins.

At the end of the week one dynamic position turned face on me and gave a big blow to my account that resulted in a big losing week. But that’s the part of the game. :slight_smile:

This week:

Journey so far:

2021 - Week#21

It seems ‘NearHighLow’ strategy is paying off. It’s the beginning of this strategy. Let’s see how it will treat me in the coming days.

This week was a positive week with no big losses.

This week:

Journey so far:

2021 - Week#22

May ended with some losses however it wasn’t too much.

This week I did a manual intervention in one of my trades. I have been experimenting with a variant of my ‘MagneticWicks’ strategy in the Demo account for about 3 months or so. The results are really good in the demo account. So last week I implemented it to the live account. Algo took a trade on GBP_CAD. Everything was going on well and I was about 20pips up. I manually placed stop loss at break even. After some time my stop hit. The problem is not here because at least I didn’t lose any money but the problem is if I would have not manually put the stop loss I would be in a significant gain. Which is what happened in the Demo account.

So the point is, it doesn’t matter if you use Algo or manual trading style, if you are watching charts while in trade you will interfere and detour from your plan. I guess I need to stop watching charts and let Algo do what it is suppose to do.

Anyways, I’m happy with the results I’m getting so far from the ‘NearHighLow’ strategy.

This week:

Journey so far:

1 Like

Have you been changing your algo, or kept running the same thing?

Algorithms work differently depending on market conditions. For several years before covid, the market was making small moves mostly going sideways with small moves up and down. I have an algo that works great in those conditions, back tests show really good profits and very high win rates.

When covid happened, the market dived towards JPY and USD for a couple of months and has mostly been a year long trend of everything else going up against them. My algo is terrible in these conditions, because it works on finding the reversals which haven’t been happening.

The problem right now is identifying when the market will get back to ‘normal’. It looks like the majority are back in the region or slightly above where they were pre pandemic, but with all the talk of inflation and recovery, the risk on attitude may continue for a while yet.

@chesterjohn
No, I don’t change my Algo’s core strategy unless it is really really bad. For example, I started my Algo trading by analyzing candlestick patterns in a 4 hours time frame. It failed miserably and I stopped trading that strategy. Then I started trading my ‘MagneticWicks’ strategy in Oct. last year and I’m still trading. However, over time I have tweaked it based on my findings after analyzing my trades. I didn’t do a significant change to the core strategy as such but lots of changes in risk management and position sizing.

At present the only variables in my Algos are instruments, position sizing and risk management; everything else is constant unless it fails miserably.

@s_kushwah even if you trade manually, it is a good idea to check your strategy settings against historical data

2021 - Week#23

Let the profits run!!! I think this is very important and I’m seeing the effects of it in my journey. I had losses in the beginning of the week however I let the profit run on a couple of trades that resulted in a winning week.

I’m enjoying my ‘NearHighLow’ strategy. Let’s see how long this fun lasts :slight_smile:

This week:

Journey so far:

1 Like

2021 - Week#24

Woo! This week on June 15th I completed 1 year of live trading. I’m happy that I’m still in the game and haven’t blown my account. Few lessons that I learned in my 1 year journey…

1. You are a good computer programmer but not a good trader :slight_smile: , yet.
  2. Don’t think Algos will make you a millionaire billionaire in 1 year :slight_smile: or in the coming years.
  3. Always put stop loss or trailing stops.
  4. Dynamic position size is a must. If in doubt, trade very small but if confident then trade big and let the market dictate the trade.
  5. Let your winners run. Very important!
  6. You have to learn a lot.

I’m hovering over 15% loss for a while. This week lots of losing trades…

This week:

Journey so far:

1 Like

2021 - Week#25

This week was hard on me. Lots of losses! But I believe everything will be okay.

This week:

Journey so far:

2021 - Week#26

So the month ended in red. But the good thing is it’s not that bad. I think I have to start analyzing my trades for strategy ‘NearHighLow’ because I have observed that after hitting my stop price reverts back. I can understand if this happens once or twice but if that happens frequently it means there is some scope of improvement. Will see what stop loss strategy I come up with.

This week:

Journey so far: