(ALMOST) Perfect Swing Trading using Trendlines

When will you move your SL?

I picked up 10p on my 1st attempt in a demo account.

I found an idea on another thread of using fractals and 1 hour chart and simply drawing a small trendline between the last 2 fractals (after a new opposite fractal forms) and waiting for the break of that line. Moved 50p but my stop was at +10p before I went to bed so that is all I got. Not a bad 1st attempt.

a bit of warning about using fractalsā€¦ fractals repaints. In history it shows very well max and min values, but on practice they repaints very often, and I found that they are not very useful to trade, at least on smaller time frames (4h or less)

I will keep an eye on that thanks medi.

I wait for a fractal to form and then draw a line between the previous 2 on the opposite side of the price action. I keep the line if it is not between 0 and 45 degrees or between 135 and 180 degrees (or between 12 o clock and 1 o clock or between 5 o clock and 6 o clock.) I also keep the line if it does not pass through any candles SINCE the latest fractal forming the line. I got a 52p short move last night (picked up 10p) and a 98p long move afterwards while I was sleeping.

I see you guys using different trendlines. Iā€™m just using normal trendline (has the most touches).

This is the trendline I draw on H4.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The reason why I said it respected this trendline very well:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So I think trend has changed. Iā€™m waiting for it to break 1.92000 to add more trades.
Anyone has the same idea? :33:

Itā€™s great :slight_smile: Iā€™m also in a trade on EURNZD, but my trend lines are a little more conservative than yours because there are what is called ā€œfalse breakoutsā€ and I want to be sure that the trend has shifted directions before placing a new trade.

This is specially important for me when I trade counter trend like this trade, because H4/D1 trend is downtrend at least for me.

Price is struggling to break the strong supply zone above. I think it will break that zone sooner or later because it has already built a strong demand zone below to support the war.
Just my conservative thoughts :33:

medisoft - With your conservatism, how many bars do you go out to confirm/deny breakout?

I like the GBPNZD because there are very, very few false breaks.
My buy is at +109 pips.
I have my SL at about BE.
I see that a Trailing Stop of 100-120 pips can work when the trend gets underway, if youā€™re away from the computer all night, like me. But it is better if you can be there, because you can close a trade sooner for 100 or so more pips. I use it just as emergency, just in case. I prefer to close the trades myself, if I can be there when the price happens to be breaking a trendline.

Also, if you want extra confirmation, you can use the crossover of two SMAs, settings 8 and 17 on the close.

I donā€™t see any of the pics that were posted on the last few posts by you guys, just so you know.

can you share your chart? Thanks!

I hope we can pull a couple more hundred pips out of this. Iā€™m up 100+ right now. Thanks Pipscompounder for starting this thread. No more scalping for me.:45::45:

Today I add one more trade when price broke 1.9200
I think I was too hurry with that trade but I still believed I was going with the trend. Price retraced about 50 pips after I enter then it resumed the trend and went up about 50 pips. Looks like there a big news and it dropped down 75 pips. The best choice is go out of news. Fortunately, I closed that trade at 1+ pips :34:

Very nervous!

Lesson learnt for me: be PATIENCE, check news!!!

I still have a trade took yesterday, already locked at BE+15, will let that trade run as long as I can :).

If you slow down just a bit and use charts that are at least 1 HR, 4 HR is better, and have patience to let candles close before you make moves on the market, youā€™ll relieve a lot of stress. This strategy is intentionally easy. But slow. Keep your open position open. Use big stops and risk smaller lots. 100 pip stops and taking profit at 500-600 pips is very normal with this strategy.

(Remember I waited almost two weeks into the new year for my first entry here.)

pipcompounder - Another great strategy! Iā€™ve been on the sidelines watching this thread and playing with some trendlines. I had a projected reversal date of the 14th, but it moved a little quicker than I expected and I got in this morning after waiting for a couple of confirmation candles; thatā€™s OK. Do you move your initial Stop once the trend gets going in the correct direction? If so, do you use an automatic TS or do you move manually? How often? I suspect you keep a 100 pip distance?

I like a 100 pip trailing stop, same size for initial SL. If I am there at the charts when a trendline is broken, I like to exit the trade myself for max profit. When Medisoft modifies the EA he posted to close trades when the trendline is broken, I think the best would be to have a parallel trendline that is a bit away from the actual trendline, just in case price spikes and unnecessarily closes the trade.

I entered earlier on eurnzd and it is now with +221 pips, with +121 pips locked. Also in another account I entered gbpnzd and it is now +100 pips.

Both entries were done automatically with the EA I posted, only I defined manually the trend line.

eurnzd has only 3 pip spread while gbpnzd is about 7 pip spread with my broker. But what is 7 pip on a +200 pip profit?

pipcompounder, what do you think about letting the trades open on weekends? I think they can be open on weekends without a problem, isnā€™t it?

I think they are fine on weekends.

Now, I will admit my broker was closed for new years, and that was a significant gap, but when you look at the daily charts normal weekends donā€™t seem to be a problem.

Buy is at +158 pips now. :smiley:

Pipcompounderā€¦ I was hesitant for a bit and traded your strategy on Demoā€¦ and boy I was wrong :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing this, and thank you Medisoft for clarifying everything. Cheers, My trade is still open and is going over the weekend with you guys.

This is the new version of trend me leave me.

This one supports inverting the trades. When you place a buystop trend line, and it is broken, just after a new buy trade is opened, all the sell trades (opened by the same EA) will close.

TrendMeLeaveMe.zip (17.9 KB)