Beginner's Disaster!

Oh Voleo

You have no idea how much I love your reply. Why? Because you sound exactly like me and probably 99.9% of all traders who have started in forex.

I have also had trades turn around almost as soon as they stopped me out. I think most beginners have. And if you have read the way this thread started, you’ll know that I am probably not the best person to be giving out advice, but I’ll give you my 2 pennies worth by going ove some of MY mistakes.

First mistake was probably a classic newbie mistake. OVERTRADING. It’s hard to take the advice of ‘not overtrading’ when you are a newcomer and keen as mustard to pull that trigger, but going looking for a trade instead of waiting for the opportunity to show itself to you, is sure to end in heartache. IT WILL, trust me, I’ve done it !!

Have a better reason for getting into a trade than just " I think it might go that way." Do your analysis. Draw lines everywhere. Support lines, resistance lines, trend lines. Find a web-site like babypips or DailyFX that gives opinions on price direction. Why do THEY think price will go that way, look at THEIR analysis

Another thing I was guilty of when entering a trade was not waiting for pullbacks in price. If price was moving in a certain direction I’d jump in, sometimes entering almost exactly at a new high or low. I’d then place my stops and targets only for price to pull back, stop me out and then carry on the way it was going. So use your support and resistance lines. Try not to buy at resistance, don’t sell at support, wait for pullbacks, they will happen.

Following the signs given by candlesticks are exactly that, SIGNS. It is not written in law that the appearance of a bearish engulfing pattern, for instance, will definitely mean a move down. It might, it might not, so be careful.

Another good little thing I started to do was analyse the charts of my LOSING trades. Why did I get it wrong? Were there any signs that I missed that price was going to do what it did? Was there any news I missed that caused price movement?

Keep an eye on economic news calender. Try not to get into a trade just before an important data release. Even if price does eventually go the way you were hoping, a sudden spike can ruin everything.

The last thing I will mention for now, because this is getting a bit long, ( I have made a lot of mistakes !! ) is your stops. A trade needs room to breathe. Price doesn’t rise in a straight line, it doesn’t fall in a straight line, it will bobble up and down on it’s way in one direction. So give it room to breathe while keeping your stops and your money management in mind.

My account is currently standing just in the low $70’s. If I place a trade, depending on recent highs or lows, I may be willing to risk between $5 and $10. I read in different places to use 2/1 ratio or 1/1. But for me I just think recent highs or lows dictate my trades. Obviously I’m not going to risk losing $10 if I’m only targeting $2, but you need to have a realistic amount of room for a trade to breathe.

At one point in the trade I just wrote about I was 90 pips down, but I had decided I could risk 120 pips for a target of 130 pips. This gave my trade plenty of room to breathe and if I HAD been stopped out, well it meant that I was just plain wrong about the trade in the first place.

So in summary I would say : PATIENCE, HOMEWORK, PATIENCE, HOMEWORK, PATIENCE, HOMEWORK and then some PATIENCE AND HOMEWORK.

If I could learn these lessons myself, I’d be better placed to give them out as advice.
HoG

Hi HoG
I have enjoyed reading this thread and I think I have made every mistake you have listed, the only difference being my mistakes were made in a demo account.
I am about to start live trading and have just re-read this thread as a reminder and hope that I can learn from your mistakes. I bet I still make a few of my own though.
Its nice to know I am not alone and even better to see that you appear to have turned your fortunes around and are now making profits no matter if they are not quite as large as they could out have been.

Hi Yaman

Nice to have you with us. There is something that you should probably accept right from the outset. YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES. Everybody does, in every walk of life.

I think, apart from the ‘DO NOT OVERTRADE’ advice, the most important thing to remember ( as I mentioned above ) is to get into a trade for a reason, not just the “I think it’s gonna go that way” trade plan.

I try to ask myself this before I hit the button now. Why am I doing this? And if I have a decent answer it’s trade on. I’m still a bag of nerves when I’m in a trade though but I guess I’ll learn to handle that better as time goes on, at least I hope I do !!

Also don’t try to hit the home run straight away or with every trade. I tried it, lost 9 tenths of my original account balance.

I maybe wouldn’t go as far as to say I have turned my fortunes around as yet. Still have less than 20% of my original balance, but recently things have moved in the right direction, with the odd hiccup here and there. I still see myself as being in survival mode but I’m still here, still fighting.

The good thing about a forum site like this is that you can throw some of your ideas around. There will always be some-one who will say “Yep, I think you’re right.” or maybe politetly say, " No, I think you might be wrong there." But the important thing is to use forum sites like this to LEARN. That’s why they exist in the first place.

Let me know when you go live and keep us up to date with your progress. Don’t be afraid to tell us about your mistakes, they can’t be any worse than the ones I made !!
Good Luck
HoG

HoG, one key is to stay in survival mode all of the time, not just for a while. As indy traders, preservation of capital is JOB 1, to do this don’t overtrade, overleverage, start trading a pair you know nothing about, don’t change systems unless you are sure it is the system and not you, get to the point you can put a trade on and feel nothing. Now once you get to this point you can think about size, that is also part of the mental/emotional component. 10 mio/large looks a whoooole lot different than 100k.

The Ever Been There And Done That VIPER

Wow HoG you cought on to probably the most important thing that you should KNOW as a FACT of chart movement/price action specially for people who dont have hundreds/thousands of hours of screen time… “Bearish engulfing pattern doesn’t always mean its going to go down.” And the reason its so important is that it makes it easier to start thinking(before or while in the trade) about the market with the IF and THEN mindset. IF i see bearish engulfing THEN i will short. IF it goes my way but then turns around THEN ill let it hit my stop. (at this point you can analyze if your homework was correct and the market just did its thing anyway, or if your homework was not very well thought out) That way like WildChancer said, you dont need to look for reasoning behind the move. Thx for reminding me of this!

Hi

I like this post:

You create good material for community.

HoG yea I think we are not alone with going through time of frustrations and most people probably just quit instead of evaluating and learning. Good side is I am only trading small lot sizes so I can afford to keep learning.

You got many good points. Not overtrading but actually enter a trade because it is analyzed towards lines, support, trends and such.

About waiting for pullpacks. I have been thinking a lot about that if I after getting a signal should I enter directly on an engulfing pattern or always wait for a pull back. I see a lot of trades that keep going on after an engulfing signal and never look back. But I also see a lot of trades that just love to reverse exactly after engulfing signals and therefore require a big stop loss to catch eventual winners. Waiting for pullback is a good thing that many people agree with because then we do trades on the systematic principles to buy lows in uptrend and sell highs in down trend. On the other hand if the move has a momentum built up it can just keep moving without pullback so in that case hoping for a pullback is the same as trying to pick tops and bottoms against the trend. It is real hard to find a balanced entry method to also catch the ones that keeps moving without pullbacks. If building a trading system it really feels I also have to catch those that keep moving or the system will be a mess without rules. Or the thing maybe is that knowing when to wait for pullback is what makes a good trader.

My frustration is mostly about that my prebuilt systematic trading systems with clear rules behave so differently between demo paper trading and real money account live trading. I will keep trying them with small lots to get large real samples so I can see if it is not just bad luck every time I try a new system live. I can already smell the feeling of another typical 8 losses in row and alright this system suck feelilng on my next live try lol.

as a complete newbie…

1. Read a couple of things about MACD, Bollinger and Stochastics and decided I knew it all.
  2. Didn’t know it all !!
  3. Came home from work at night and thought I could just sit down and get on with it. Paid no attention to economic events or news.
  4. Started chasing to regain losses by using bigger and bigger lot sizes. Just lost more.
  5. DIDN’T use stop losses.
  6. Probably didn’t start with enough money, but then in this case that was probably a blessing in disguise.
  7. Pure and simple, didn’t, and still don’t, have the education to be messing around with FX.

…these are the best 7 tips I’ve read so far!

But the great news is that now, you are a disappointed to make ‘only’ 37 pips, whereas a comparitively short time ago you were disappointed when trades stopped out on you for a loss. This shows how your confidence is building, which takes time but does come, once it is clear that a system is beginning to work. Once there is that confidence, it becomes easier to trade mechanically, and suddenly the odd loss is like water of a duck’s back, as it is more than offset by the wins. Then suddenly it becomes easier to let trades run. So whenever the Reward is more than the Risk, you really begin to compound up the account.

I made all the mistakes listed on this thread when new, and am still going through the same learning process that others have described. Trading mechanically, letting trades run and not overtrading are three of the hardest elements, and take time and persistence to master. This week I placed just four trades; when I started out I would place more than that in a morning. We all evolve different styles, but I believe that these three areas are important to most, and among the hardest to master. I used to wonder if I would ever manage to find the steel to let trades run, once a decent level of profit was reached, but by improving in increments I got there.

Anyway, this has descended into ramble, but I have just caught up on the thread after a couple of weeks of not being around much. Great thread, really interesting reading, helpful to a lot of people.

ST

While I was googling for something else I stumpled over this excellent stuff:

Secret to Value Investing: Ignore Market Noise - Seeking Alpha

It’s a little older, but if I compare books or articles of old age and what I can get now I tend to prefer the older stuff. Just generally speaking.

that was an interesting article about staying away from the noise thanks

I have recently wrote 3 articles which I originally intended to post on my beginners fx diary blog. However, I have decided to post them here first.

I went back and re-read this entire thread the other night and as I went through it I began to ask myself, " What is it a complete beginner REALLY wants to know ?" I’ve wrote about my mistakes, I’ve tried to convey my feelings about the psychology involved, but right at the start, when I was first looking to get involved in Forex, what was it I wanted people to tell me? What article was it that I was so desperately searching the internet for that would make me believe I could actually do this?

Then 3 replies were put on this thread that really made me think :

[U]First reply ( #167 ) came from Voleo[/U] :

"About waiting for pullpacks. I have been thinking a lot about that if I after getting a signal should I enter directly on an engulfing pattern or always wait for a pull back. I see a lot of trades that keep going on after an engulfing signal and never look back. But I also see a lot of trades that just love to reverse exactly after engulfing signals and therefore require a big stop loss to catch eventual winners. Waiting for pullback is a good thing that many people agree with because then we do trades on the systematic principles to buy lows in uptrend and sell highs in down trend. On the other hand if the move has a momentum built up it can just keep moving without pullback so in that case hoping for a pullback is the same as trying to pick tops and bottoms against the trend. It is real hard to find a balanced entry method to also catch the ones that keeps moving without pullbacks. If building a trading system it really feels I also have to catch those that keep moving or the system will be a mess without rules. Or the thing maybe is that knowing when to wait for pullback is what makes a good trader.

My frustration is mostly about that my prebuilt systematic trading systems with clear rules behave so differently between demo paper trading and real money account live trading. I will keep trying them with small lots to get large real samples so I can see if it is not just bad luck every time I try a new system live. I can already smell the feeling of another typical 8 losses in row and alright this system suck feelilng on my next live try lol."

[U]Second reply came from SimonTemplar (#169 ):[/U]

"Once there is that confidence, it becomes easier to trade mechanically, and suddenly the odd loss is like water of a duck’s back, as it is more than offset by the wins. Then suddenly it becomes easier to let trades run. So whenever the Reward is more than the Risk, you really begin to compound up the account.

I made all the mistakes listed on this thread when new, and am still going through the same learning process that others have described. Trading mechanically, letting trades run and not overtrading are three of the hardest elements, and take time and persistence to master. This week I placed just four trades; when I started out I would place more than that in a morning. We all evolve different styles, but I believe that these three areas are important to most, and among the hardest to master. I used to wonder if I would ever manage to find the steel to let trades run, once a decent level of profit was reached, but by improving in increments I got there."

And the 3rd reply was the great link posted by [U]Buckscoder about Ignoring Market Noise.[/U] I urge you all to read it if you haven’t already.

So back to the 3 articles. Before I add them there are a couple of apologies I would like to make in advance. They are ;

1. If it sounds like I am trying to be a know it all, I’m not. These were / are simply my feelings both currently and when I first started.

2. If I’m wrong about anything I apologise. But I trust If anyone disagrees with anything they will tell me why.

3. The articles probably will be quite long compared to normal replies. So if they do drag a bit, again, I apologise.

So I’ll add them now. Probably won’t get the 3 of them on today though cos I have to leave for work very soon but they will all be on by tomorrow at the latest. They are called ;

1. Myths, Legends And A Healthy Fear of The Unknown.

2. What Is A ‘Trading Strategy’ ?

3. Losing Your Head, While All Around You Are Keeping Theirs!

Oh, here’s another quick apology. If you think these articles are crap, I’m sorry !!
Talk Soon
HoG

There is a point in life, that the realisation you aren’t getting any younger really hits you hard. All of a sudden you go from dreaming about what you want to be when you grow up, ( even though you are already 44 ! ) to worrying about how you’re going to survive when you retire. Because now you’re beginning to see that retirement on the horizon and just like a lot of people, you don’t have a pension plan to see you through to the day you do eventually shuffle off to the big golf course in the sky.

This point in life is usually referred to as the 'mid-life crisis'. And now you have two options. 

First option is get a divorce, get a fake tan, dye your hair some ridiculous gold colour, buy a porsche with your half of the house sale, hook up with some bimbo who's less than half your age and start to wear clothes that really just make you look like an over-stuffed teddy bear.

Second option is start to plan for that retirement now. But what to do?

In my particular circumstances, I was left looking at this scenario. I’m 44 years old. I have no pension plan, no great savings that will carry me through my old age. The only thing I am really trained in was construction. ( My first job when I left school with no qualifications ). But my body now couldn’t take going back to construction, so what do I do?

Going back to college to re-train at this age is possible, but any subject or degree qualification would take 3, maybe 4 years. And at the end of that, at the age of 48, who would employ me, a guy at 48 with a degree and absolutely no practical experience ?

This is when I decided to start looking at Trading Shares. I opened an account with a broker and put £500 in it. After a few weeks of reading through the newspapers I decided to buy some shares in the Lloyds TSB Bank. And then about 3 weeks after buying them I began to think that this could possibly be the single most boring thing I have ever done in my entire life.

I began to ask myself, " Can I REALLY see myself trawling through a companies reports for the next 20 years of my life, " trying to buyshares? No ! I'd rather get a fake tan and buy a porsche.

So I began to look for something else. Something that moved a bit quicker, something that keeps your attention, makes you think AND, most importantly, can make you money. So this is when I found currency trading.

I opened a demo account with a broker and spent their pretend $50,000 quicker than my kids blow my wages, and that takes a bit of doing I can assure you !!

So I started to read in to FX a bit more but all I ever seemed to find was “EXPERTS” who were only too ready to tell the world that [I]ordinary[/I] people shouldn’t go within 10 million miles of a Forex account, because they simply don’t have the brains for it. Only those with the collective wisdom of Albus Dumbledore should be allowed to play with such toys.

And if YOU listen to, or read, enough of that crap, you WILL start to believe that they are correct.

Voleo wrote in reply #167 of this thread “I can already smell the feeling of another typical 8 losses in row and alright this system suck feelilng on my next live try lol.”

One web-site I found, when I was first looking into forex, was written by a lady who lives in the south of England. She wrote she first started trading shares. Moved on to commodities, then CFD’s, then advanced trigonometry, rocket science, the inner workings of the central nervous system, how to create a complete solar system before lunchtime and then, finally, ONLY after all that, progressed to Currency Trading. ( Obviously poetic licence prevailed a little just then )

But I honestly believe, with all my heart and soul, that this is just total and utter garbage. I believe, that THE VERY FIRST LESSON anyone who is starting in Currency Trading should teach themselves, is very simple, but probably THE single most important one of all.

Right at the start, right from the very second you decide that you are going to give this a go, you need to tell yourself; " I CAN DO THIS, I CAN LEARN THIS, IT IS NOT BEYOND ME !"

Because, just like anything else in life, if you set out with the mind set that you CAN'T do it, why be so surprised when you fail? So clear all doubt from your mind, you either enter this arena with the right positive attitude, or don't enter it at all.

Sure you're going to have setbacks. Which path in life doesn't? I started my account with $400 and tanked it down to a low of $43. But I'm still here. I'm still fighting on. My account is now back up into the $70's ( almost double my low point ). So if I can almost double my low point, I can almost double my low $70's right ? Of course I can.

And then, with patience and by gaining education, there surely is nothing to stop me growing.

Sure there are going to be nerves. After all, this is your cash you’re playing with, you worked hard to get it. But nerves are healthy. They’re what keep you alert. And until we gain such experience that we can put these nerves aside, they’ll just have to be another thing we have to conquer.

But the important thing is to accept the WE CAN conquer them. There’s no rush. Take your time. There’s a lot to learn, but you can learn it. Tell yourself that, everyday !

“Once you choose hope, anything’s possible.” - Christopher Reeves.

HoG

Good stuff HoG

I’m sitting on a net loss of $15,000 in forex. I can assure you that the dollar value lost means little to me now. Yes it sucked while I was losing it (and continuing to lose it) but what really gnaws at me psychologically is how I can make the same mistakes over and over again. I’ve literally run out of new mistakes to make.

I see myself going down paths that I’ve been down before, ones I know end in misery, but I’ll keep doing it because the emotional factor makes the WRONG choices FEEL RIGHT. It’s really terrible to experience. It makes me feel stupid, and even lose trust in my own ability to make rational decisions.

There’s lotsa zen gurus out there that’ll advise you to stay calm and that losses are part of the business, but the reality is this: you lose $500 in one night of trading, and then have to go to a job you hate for an entire week to make that up, you are going to FEEL BAD. This is psychological warfare and you will have to learn to deal with those losses emotionally, one day or another.

I admit it to you folks that emotional control is not my strong suit. Obviously it is not, otherwise I wouldn’t have lost all the money. But I do get better. I didn’t give up, and I’ll never give up. I have even considered the possibility that it might be in my best interest to give up, but I still won’t.

The fact that this is so difficult draws me back week after week. I respect the market for how it operates. What I mean to say is that I can actually appreciate the market taking my money, because I know it did so because I was a weak player. I don’t want to be involved in an arena where the weak win…because it probably means it is rigged.

Well let me cut this short and wrap up. You can do your best to make a 3 digit account feel real. You can track the % gains and feel bad about your 10% loss of $50. BUT your emotions know what Real money is, and only when you are trading the Real money will you get the Real emotions.

Unless you’re rich and just don’t care about the account! But as they say “the rich get richer”, no point moaning about the laws of nature! :wink:

Very good HoG, I owned a golf store for 15 years and am now 47 selling mattresses. I did almost everything right with my business but was put out by the internet and my location #3 market for foreclosures in the USA before coming to Hawaii. I got nothing but my intellect to fall back on so am really looking to make this work. Hopefully I manage to do well and avoid SOME of the pitfalls most have gone through. The thing that sticks to me is got to stay in the game to make in money so capital preservation is my most important objective. I will be starting to trade paper in a couple of weeks when my plan of attack finalizes and will hopefully not lurk but contribute as well.

Ouch! Better luck next time!

akeakamai

Wow ! I don’t know where to begin writing an answer to your post. It genuinely has left me feeling confused, angry, nostalgic ( believe it or not ) and frustrated all at the same time. The reasons it has made me feel these things I’ll tell you in a minute, as I go through your post one paragraph at a time. But let me just add this before I start.

I know already, before I even start to write, that my reply to you is going to sound confrontational, angry and even possibly a bit judgemental. And for this I apologise in advance. But I’m just stunned by what you wrote. Anyway here goes nothing.

My feeling of confusion comes simply from your tag underneath your name. ‘FX MEN HONOURARY MEMBER’. And here was I thinking the FX MEN were people of wisdom. People who had gained experience through proper discipline and practice. Guess that blows that little theory apart.

Some years ago, ( and I promise you all this is a true story ) I had a friend who was a member of Gamblers Anonymous. And before he joined GA, he put his wife through a torrid time. He’d blow all of their money, then they’d have a fight and he would end up at my house crying about what he had done.

The feeling of nostalgia I spoke of earlier is because what he would sit and tell me, is almost word for word from what you wrote in those first two small paragraphs. How the monetary value of his loses actually meant nothing, it was the rush of betting that controlled him. And afterwards it would annoy him how he continually makes the same mistake over and over again.

Trouble was he knew he was doing wrong, but somehow, something inside just made it feel right. And afterwards he hated himself. He hated himself for not being in control of his own emotions. Does that sound familiar at all ??

Of course loses are part of the game. Loses are part of every game, they’re part of life for God’s sake. Did you really believe that you would somehow be the ONLY TRADER ALIVE to win every single trade you made? As for the “reality” of losing $500 in one night’s trading then having to go to the hated job to repay it, well, to be honest, it doesn’t sound to me as though you ARE trading at all. It sounds more as though you have made a bet, you’ve just gambled this week’s wages hoping to hit that home run. And more often than not, you don’t !!

It’s obvious that emotional control is not your strong point, but that to me just sounds like an excuse. It wasn’t emotion that made you lose the money, it was impatience and bad trading practices. I am delighted, however, that you have not given up, but to continue as you are is surely pointless. Surely it is time you changed the way you do things? Surely, at some point, you must step back and ask yourself what it is that you’re doing wrong and actively seek to change that thing? And don’t sit there saying ‘you’ve tried everything already’. Because you haven’t, otherwise you wouldn’t still be making those same mistakes over and over again.

It isn’t the fact that Forex is difficult that draws me back, it’s the testing myself, testing my ability to work things out. It’s proving to myself that a small guy like me CAN do the things the big players say we can’t. That’s what draws me back. And as for appreciating the market because it took your money, have you been drinking?? Send me $500 every week and I’ll let you appreciate me all you want ! The market didn’t take your money because you are weak. It took your money because you were WRONG. You are only weak because YOU are telling yourself you are weak. So stop that, instantly !

You have to know that you are better than the market, you have to believe in YOU !

However much you may believe that you get the right to claim the monopoly on “REAL” emotions just because you’ve lost more, you don’t !! Just because you lost more money than me, or anyone else for that matter, doesn’t mean you FEEL more than us. Cash amounts are all relative my friend, and if you didn’t have it in the first place you could never have lost it. So I don’t feel sorry for you, for two good reasons. First one is that you not playing the same game as I am. I’m trying to survive. I’m making a REAL effort to learn, and my small change $50 account is STILL ALIVE because of my efforts. While you just seem hell bent on chasing that one big payday.

And the second reason I don’t feel sorry for you is that you are feeling sorry enough for yourself without me offering my shoulder out for another gambler to cry on. I’ve done that once, no more !!

People who are rich, are rich because they DO care about their accounts, and we ALL have the same opportunity to get rich.

I wonder, after my angry little reply, if you would do me a favour. After all is said and done, you gave us a honest account of your Forex woes. I do not doubt your honesty. So I would appreciate it if you could give us an honest account of your last LOSING trade if you have that information.

Tell us what pair you traded, what lot size you bought ( or sold ), your entry price and why you chose that entry level, your target price and why you decided on the target, your stop price and why you decided on that stop. But the most important piece of information I would like you to give us is this,( and again I’m trusting your honesty here ). WHY DID YOU GET INTO THE TRADE IN THE FIRST PLACE ?

If it was pure and simpy because you had a feeling that the price was going to move that way then simply say that. But if you don’t HAVE an answer to that question, or for that matter, any of the other questions relating to that trade, then maybe that’s the biggest clue as to what you are doing wrong.

I hope to talk to you soon, I really mean that. I’m sure things can be turned around for you, just stop being so quick to throw good money after bad my friend.
Anyway I’m off to bed now, been up and around for near on 22 hours now and the head is beginning to nod.
Best Wishes
HoG

You say that like it’s a bad thing (just kidding sir! I haven’t personally tried it)

Mmm… on to the larger point, 15k USD really isn’t all that much in the grand scheme of things. As far as educations go… it’s pennies on the dollar. I’ve been up, I’ve been down a few times in life; certainly I’ve made bigger mistakes than 15k myself along the way.

Financial mistakes weren’t the ones that I regret, though; the ‘big one’ was that I lost about a decade and a half of my life to cubicle land. In about sunrise, out about seven~ish in the evening, anywhere from 60 to (no joke) 80 hours a week on occasion. Ah yes I was very successful. Made management and all that. But in reality… for what? Nobody truly cares if you have a nice lawn, nor is the hurried vacation somewhere overseas really worth it, when you are constantly checking back with the office in spite of it all. I’d sold my quality of life, cheaply. Ten years ago last month, I’d literally done the ‘walk out’ thing on an executive position and burned my resume at a beach bonfire, surrounded by friends, not long after. Had I not, I would have snapped, or had a heart attack, or something.

Your warning is good in a general way; certainly those looking simply to gamble, or perhaps might be arithmetically challenged ought not try forex. Though I doubt we can really know what to advise people from what we read. My guess is that someone truly in trouble would do just about anything but admit their trading losses. Just a hunch. I’m certainly not a professional therapist, but I might rate almost as high as ‘bartender’ on the scale of insight sometimes. Admission of losses is a very, very positive and realistic sign in my book.

I have no ‘reading’ of anyone here, but I would say, perhaps each and every one of us should examine our goals, motivations, and actual ability. Silently and with reflection. I for one have no doubt that I shall have some losses in my future… but then, I took losses with my first business (in my twenties; it failed; I lost several hundred and maybe six months of time). The business I’d started ten years ago ~ half my product line went nowhere. Dead as a parrot in a Monty Python skit. I’d had a string of other nonstarters, up to and including my plan to make ‘apps’ for smartphones… I can make the apps well enough, but the business side of that makes forex trading seem like a basket of kittens. All that said… this is one more venture. Three of my ventures have had traction in the last ten years; were it not for risk I would not have had success. Those three successes so far keep me comfortable enough; I doubt I’ll ever have to work for anyone else ever again. Forex so far has been promising. Like you say, it can be done.

I applaud anyone who can admit to losses on here. It’s quite brave, and I think our strongest asset here is… each other. In some of my other ventures, I’m quite good… mainly because I’d made every mistake there was to make, and then some more, and thus really got my head around things. For instance, University of California is in the neighbourhood of 100,000+ for one of their degrees when you add up all the incidentals; people pay that much regularly for education, with no assurances of returns afterward. Depending I suppose what someone’s income potential is, might be indication of what a significant loss to them might be. Who can say?

If I had a confession myself… I’m not here because I have dreams of wealth, or desperation, or oppression at work (I have none of those issues). Rather… it’s because forex is just so… how to explain it… it’s relatively [I]tidy[/I]. My other businesses, I’ve got a blizzard of tax forms and inventories and customer enquiries and odd supplier issues coming up; it’s one thing after another. Yes, there’s a lot to keep in mind with forex, but if you simply want to stop dealing with it for a few days, or scale back a bit, you can. Try doing that with a small business that has well over 1000 regular customers ~ you simply can’t ever take much of a break. I’m here to balance not my financial portfolio, but my sanity portfolio… grin

Good article, Home of Golf. Ill look out for your next ones for sure!