Bollinger band trading with MAs

Short GBP/CHF
Short USD/CHF
Long EUR/GBP
Will see how they turn out…all swing trades.
Any thoughts or comments welcome :slight_smile:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Perhaps perhaps :slight_smile:
Anyway, the above 3 plays are invalidated for me when a candle closes above the hungover men or below the morning after candles :stuck_out_tongue:

Everything is a bit difficult with all the intervention in the FX market at present, lot’s of undecided charts out there. I too am off for some beer…I’m back in Canada at present :slight_smile:

Wish you wld do this more often San, like evry week.

Cheers
Ade

I try to put some up from time to time but my swing trades only come up every so often. I believe RC has an intraday thread going at present…
If you understand the reasons for the trade then you don’t need me to post :slight_smile:

Will see what develops today with these trades, preliminary SL is around 200 pips for each but if they close above/below the wicks then I’m out.
USD/CHF worries me a bit as it looks like a bullish pattern but it is over extended so due for a pull back. Some FX pairs might slow down today awaiting NFP.
Still +450 on EURAUD short, closed EURCAD last week, which was a bad decision given the interest rate increase :slight_smile:

RC, looking at your screenshot above, am I correct to assume you set up your indicators to indicate overbought/oversold on all charted pairs then simply open positions back towards the channels? Do you then manage the trades not from the charting window but from your account balance window? What I mean is do you set a percentage of your account balance as a target, simply closing all positions once your target (daily, weekly or whatever) is reached - or such a time as your positions lose value equivalent the percentage of the account balance you’re willing to risk?

These trades have not moved very far today, I will leave them a little longer but will definitely be exiting before the NFP tomorrow - I had hoped to get them to breakeven before that.

Goodluck San! I got lucky on a few of my trades today too lol.

Lol, I’m short and up 25 :slight_smile:

TBH, these swing trades thast don’t move at least 50 pips within my favour in 24hrs is never a good sign.
+25 GC
-40 EG
0 UC

I’m prepared to give it the Asian session but will likely close out for a small loss in the morning.

Got an EJ trade about +30 at present so that pays for a bit.

Perhaps but it’s Friday and I’m up 15% for the week.
I’ll play it safe and reassess
…discipline…cough…cough excuse for exiting trade…cough cough :slight_smile:

You never know with NFP, some made up number to boost the markets. Actually, I think Obama “pre released” the number today didn’t he hence the rise…

This is very close to what I do for entry set ups. I have been using account balance as a stop. On most winning days I make about 20 to 40 pips on a good day around a hundred rarely more than that. A ranging market is very important to the way I have been trading. One of the things I have been doing that is generally not advised is letting trades run pretty far away in terms of pips and letting them come back. They don’t always come back. I use account balance as a stop I don’t just let them run forever. I trade the Asian session. This is important.

The Asian session as we all know most nights leads to the London break out. A break out must be preceded by a range. Often the entire preceding range is covered long and short by Frankfort open then London open. This action will most nights get me out of any bad trades I am in IF THE TRADE IS SMALL. I dont leave trades unwatched I close them all with a click if I reach my limit most way before I reach my limit. I do use an “oh crap stop” that if hit is bad but not devastating. As with any method it does not always work. Sticking with the money management is critical. So far I manage just over an 80% win rate and the R/R on individual closed trades averages around 1:1 that’s more then enough to build a balance fast. That’s over 500 or so trades most on a tiny real account small enough to consider the same as demo.

Trading like this for the first time with some real money I managed to double my account in 11 trading days. I used 4% loss and 10% gain as my MM targets. Now I have done what no self respecting new trader ever does. I took all the money out. Sorry guys no tale of crazy gain followed by horrible blow up. I am going to buy a car. A used car;) So I am back to a tinny account for now but with some new wheels:D. Thanks Australia and New Zealand.

Great job, Sean. I wish I could learn to trade your way. I can’t seem to get a system where I can get such good gains off a small account size. Working the smaller TFs has lead to too much emotion and disastrous days like I had today and working the more stable, larger TFs just is simply untenable for a small account (150-200 -pip stops?!).

That’s why I commented on RCs screenshot. It looked like he might have been doing what you do with your MM system - managing trades by watching account balance.

Next… your over reaching in terms of lot size. I know your gonna come back it works but I once traded a $1000 account off the high/ low 5m boll bounce and got it up to $3000 only to see it go. What you going to do when and if your account hits $100k plus?

You need to focus on real MM… no offense. Boom and bust big time will find you hanging from a tree somewhere. Seriously its all about the MM and compounding not about big lot size. If you have found a strat that works for you stick with it but ease off the big lot size might take a few years more before your buying that boat but at least you’ll get there.

If I lost 14% of a 100K account in one night I wouldn’t have to hang myself from a tree my wife would be more than happy to do it for me. I hear you loud and clear. I have been around long enough to see when someone post they doubled there account in 2 weeks often thats the last we ever hear from them. I doubt they are relaxing on the beach somewhere. I thought it prudent to apply one of the axioms I use on individual trades. Take profit early.

Seriously no offense taken. I know with the way I am trading with my entry and exit I net positive pips over time. That plus a conservative MM plan will add up in the end. With much less risk of any sort of blow up caused by me or my system. So why have I been doing it this way? I have developed a trading style that is very screen time intensive. With the amount of capital I have at any one time its very frustrating to spend hrs at the screen for a few bucks with a conservative plan. Sort of a catch 22 so much of trading is.

I know some focus on slow steady growth with much less of a draw down is in my future if I want to trade a big account or make one. At least my method is risk scalable and seems to work on up through the longer time frames to some extent. The Asian session range factor does not really work on a longer time frame.

Howdy!

This is post 3812 on page 381.

Your screenshot has a green mid BB for the 15m tf.

1. Q. On the 1hr TF the mid BB is red, was this reversed on purpose?

2. Q. How do we know when the spike has hit its highest/lowest?

Thank ya!

Red

Glad your strat is working for you. Just remember, compounding your accoung over a couple years and you’ll be rich. The begining is slow but it does pick up. I’m trying something similar to your strat, though much more basic lol. Gotta start encorporating news into my strat. Took a big hit because of the JPY news. So, I wont be trading tomorrow:D lol. Goodluck

Howdy again, this may be of a similar vein, if so, please forgive me.
Post 3815.
Page 382.

Thanks again.

Red

GBPCHF hit my asleep TP of +200 so that closed out from my limit order, which is nice.
Closing out EG and UC now for -80 and -20.
Still holding EURAUD at +500 but that’s long term.
Have a good weekend all and if you hold onto any of the above trades through NFP - best of luck :slight_smile:

I don’t know whether to post here or on the daily punt thread :confused:

So anyway today was my best so far with Carter’s 2lwma high low. Just looking at daily. I was only on demo because of nfp but wanted to see what would happen. +400 give or take a bit.

hey, watching Last of the Summer Wine first season and leaned new British phrases. so what’s a pillock? LOL

male chicken can have more than one meaning of here LOL

what word do you blokes use to imitate the sound of a rooster? over here it’s c0ckadoodledoo (I had to replace the letter o with number zero to get that to show up)

trading going into the weekend? I thought you didn’t hold em over the weekend. Or going to close them out tonight?