Bollinger band trading with MAs

Well, I found a way to make trading RC’s method easier, and more profitable. No, I don’t have some magic indicator that shows the true high/low (or do I?). I simply use a specific period of time in which I look for price to break the 2 LWMA and retrace. I noticed that between X hour and Y hour most of the bounces occur and also the most profitable ones. Look at the 15m chart with the mtf indicator and it should be fairly clear to you.

Price tends to make it’s high or low for the day in early london trading I think. When the day first gets started a 2ma tunnel will be fairly narrow. Wait till it widens and price steps outside, then make your play. the ma doesn’t make price move. Price makes the ma move. So wait for price to be in a favorable position.

I think trading an MA tunnel is kind of like trading a bollinger tunnel. Great when it’s horizontal but what about when it starts climbing or dropping…

has anyone heard of an indicator based on bollinger bands where you can apply a different standard deviation to the upper band vs the lower band ?

Here ya go, SDC. Change extension to mq4.

thanks robk you had the same idea as me lol, I did the same thing to the mt4 one after I posted that last post and thought about it some more.
I’m making some other modifications too, to try and improve the bollinger bands its going to have 4 bands with the center two giving a crossover in the middle during the periods where normal bollinger bands start climbing the stairs.

So what will the settings be for the two middle ones? Are they all deviation or are you going to use another SMA?

Im going to use deviation for two and at the same time have two LWMA for testing … i might not keep them in it if the deviation ones work how i am hoping they will i thought i had it already but i ran into a problem with the code its not showing all my lines im going to go back over it now and fix it

Always make sure you have enough buffers! :slight_smile:

+2% today. 1 win 1 Be. Just focusing on trading 2 pairs using RC’s method (no mtf OB/OS, no fancy BBands etc.). Its been great so far, only problem is I need to be on Londons time frame or I’m gonna be losing some sleep in order to trade this strat.

Not sure why everyone is trying to add so much to the original strat:confused:

I’m not trying to change your strategy I am working on something else that is related to BB trading it is actually for an EA that uses multiple different strats. I am trying to improve entry and exit points by BB signals for EA trading by creating a built in crossover of two sets of BB’s. Apologies if I hijacked your thread i asked my question on your thread because I figured your thread subscribers might already know soemthing about such an indicator.

your not hijacking my thread as it’s not my thread, your not changing my strat as it’s not my strat. Just wondering why everyone likes to change RC’s strat lol. I think we all owe SM an apology for hijacking his thread lol.:smiley:

Working on an EA to trade RC’s strat. Found a way to make it more merchanical which is needed when programming EAs, I havn’t found a way to program discretion :stuck_out_tongue:

Your indicator sounds need, would be cool to see how it looks. still trying to understand it.

There seems to be confusion over when to enter a hi/ lo 2 LWMA trade. Of course on the longer TF you could trade both ways i.e. with and against the trend… but obviously its better with the trend where clear. Trying to pick the true bottom of a trending PA move is at best pushing your luck. :stuck_out_tongue:

From the attached screenshot you’ll see I have only three live/ active trades out of a possible twenty. That is because I have already taken the with trend trade on the others and am now playing the waiting game i.e. waiting for PA to climb to the hi/lo LWMA against the trend before re-entering again. Half of all trading is in fact not trading but waiting for the set up to occur! :smiley: Hope how I trade LWMA hi/ lo is now clear?

Might need to expand to 200-500%

Questions for you on this :slight_smile:
1/
Let’s take the Euro as an example.
The monthly trend is down, yet the intraday trend is clearly up.
So, are you shorting every available chance whe price hits the upper 2LWMA on the Weekly or Daily chart?
Same question for cable.
Reason I ask, is something has to prevent you from getting in short on a pair like that when the temporary trend has changed to upward.

For example, what did you do at A, B, C, and D in the chart?
Also, do you wait for price to move through the 2LWMA or you just set your orders at the 2 LWMA edge.

2/ Trend changes:
I noticed you were short on EG (I am too but on a different basis) yet the monthly chart shows EG in an uptrend don’t you think since 2007.

3/ Stop losses
What do you think about working out the average distance that price exceeds the LWMA by and using that as a stop loss. I think you referred to using a 200 pip stop loss before.

4/ It looks like you place limits at the edge of the LWMA. So, if there’s an uptrend, you place a buy order at the bottom of the LWMA and the limit at the upper LWMA and that’s the exit of the trade? I had assumed you were holding on for longer, which doesn;t seem to be the case.

Nice to see you back San!

I’ve moved away from the daily recently… if we except the differing TF’s are fractals then it doesn’t really matter 50-100 pips on a daily trade or 200-300 pips on a weekly. plus sure free’s up some time! :smiley:

You’ll notice I throw up a green horizontal line around the area I’m looking to enter a trade and generally wait for the white horizontal line (price) to get close before even getting remotely interested. On a few I now have a pending entry order in case the set up occurs during the Asian and overnight (for us Brits).

Yep I’ll wait until PA hits the respective hi/ lo LWMA against the trend… never before… why chase a trade… theres always another when looking at 20 pairs then enter. I set TP across the tunnel LWMA as standard on all trades. This will be dynamic across the days and need adjusting… as PA moves with the trade the LWMA will move down/ up with it. If against it will move against the trade (shorten the spread between hi/ lo). I always wait until PA hits the other side though. If the trade goes the other way i.e. the trend reverses it will usually still be a BE trade given the weekly TF and in consequence spread in pips between hi/lo. You know my OMG policy on SL. But even on the weekly TF 100 pips should be more than adequate if the trade is taken at the LWMA hi/ lo against the prevailing trend.

EDIT: Ah… missed that bit of your post. Now I’m running with the weekly I don’t feel the need to check the monthly or daily TF… a sort of ‘in the middle’ position trade. :slight_smile:

I pop in from time to time :slight_smile:

Ok, but if that’s the case, what happened when you went short on those EURUSD bars at the top of the Weekly 2 LWMA?
…presumably you entered a short based off the bar tyouching the high 2LWMA today?

I know you haven’t because I see a buy order on your screenshot but I’m trying to get out of you why you’re entering longs, ie what made the bias change to longs as the Monthly trend is still down. :slight_smile:

Now, the key resistance on the Euro is 1.27-1.28, so let’s say price bounces off that resistance downwards.
You have your buy order on the 2LWMAs 300pips lower (that’s about the average the hilo seem to be apart on the Euro weekly).
Price comes down, hits your buy but keeps pushing lower.

Where do you place your SL? Price only seems to go beyond the LWMA with a spike about 75 pips so would it make sense to put a SL 75 pips below? If the LWMAs start angling downwards, then you’re in trouble at a trend change point?

…hence my asking about whether we could tailor stop losses to each individual pair. ie LWMAs are 300pips apart on EURUSD on average so SL could be 150 or less.

Alternatively, after how many pips do you move to BE?

Just thrashing out a few things as I know lots has been discussed but no-one has talked too much about pitfalls with the method.
When I say pitfalls, I don’t mean that in a bad way but I think people should know what to do regards money management.
We all know it’s easy when the trade goes in your favour :slight_smile:
I like to concetrate on the possible pitfalls before the potential profits haha. Last time I got into this, the discussion was “diverted” by some other posters so I gave up…

Ok with you on this. Looking to the E/U now I see only an upside. Thats not to be blikered to your statement about 1.27/ 1.28. But for now the trend on the weekly Tf is clearly up and the hi/ lo tunnel is well formed. Plus throw in HA and all points to an up for the last four weeks. Taking trades within the parameters of trend hi/ lo LWMA as long as this pattern remains. If you look at A/U interestingly we have a four week up trend and positive HA candles but the LWMA hi is coming over the top. Interesting trade then, do we buy at the low or sell at the high? :slight_smile:

I didn’t and havn’t shorted E/U for four weeks. I have only gone long at the lower LWMA and exited at the upper and awaited price to return to the lower and re-enter long. E/U is currently in an uptrend on the weekly TF.

Take another look at post 4762. :slight_smile:

Yeah the posts crossed, I thought you used the monthly TF but it makes sense using the angle of the LWMA just on the weekly if you’re doing that very quick.
I honestly never thought there couldbe a use for the Heiken Ashi candles but throwing them up on the chart is enlightening :slight_smile: - obviously they average in later and you’ll see that EURGBP’s heiken candle has turned bullish today but I’m still with you on the short on that one.

So, last thing :slight_smile:
Stop losses…

What are you thoughts on using the average amount of pips that price exceeds the bands as the stop loss? The 2LWMA essentially guides you as to where price could go so if we use the average then it shouldn’t exceed that.

Alternatively, take half the target (I think that’s a bit too much only giving a 1:2 RR when this seems like it could be more of a 1:3, 1:4 + RR strat).
So, EURUSD distance between bands is 300 pips, so we use 75-100 pips on the SL.