Bollinger band trading with MAs

Gained 50pips as i went long with last night trade.I am using standard lot,though.Like i said last night, you could have lost some bucks if you leave that trade at short last night.

RC,how do you get Regression line of 5 period if i wannna trade your system of Advanced Trend line? I am somewhat confused with this.Please help.

I’m looking at the 20ma bolls on the 4h and still holding my breath waiting for a clean break

ps john4pips here you go…

linreg 5 LRMA.zip (727 Bytes)

I don’t like the look of that candle on 1h and it’s color neither. :slight_smile:

D-PIP,
Thanks so much. I will use it and get back to you.
peace.

PA is sitting on .6349…having a rest and thinking about where it want’s to go. :smiley:

[B]Merchantprince[/B]

Can you see now [U]why[/U] it was better to get out in time…? :slight_smile:

And keep your powder [money] dry. :smiley:

Hey,
How do you add this to Meta Trader4 indicators? Please show me the steps.

Put it into MT4 indicator folder. Restart MT4 and you’ll find it under “Custom” in the Indicator menu item.

but how do you know when it’s time ?

You’ll have to compile it, if it’s the .txt file but change the extension to .mq4 first

With this mehtod it is the candle wicks on the outer 2,3:20 BB’s. On 1h and 4h. And the candle color changes and Ma’s 3,6 and/or 3,9 crossing and/or 6,9,14 pointing in one direction.

Personally, with GU I [U]always[/U] keep an eye on EU and Gold.

Gold moves
EU moves
GU follows.

So what made me go in in this particular case…?

Gold moved
EU moved
1h candle wicked on 2:30 outer BB and changed to same color as previous 1h candle that touched outer 3:20 BB.

3 signals to take a trade. :slight_smile:

TalonD or anybody who knows this,
I m confused now. Can you please walk me through this. Also,what is the best way(step by step) to add new indicator(s) to Meta Trader 4.
Thanks for your help.
John.

John4pips
I tried to open that zip file and couldn’t but the other attachment is a file that ends in .txt if you open it with something like notepad you will see the actual human readable code of the indicator. If you aren’t a programmer it probably looks like greek. So anyway, all you have to do after you save that .txt file into your indicators folder which is in your experts folder which is in your metatrader folder for your broker on your C:/ drive, save it in there. once you have it saved there then right click on it and change the extension from .txt to .mq4
when you open up metatrader you should see it in your list of indicators. But you will still need to compile it. so right click on it there in the list of indicators and click on ‘modify’ that will bring it up in another window where you will click on ‘compile’ there should be no compile errors showing at the bottom. Then close that window and you are back in metatrader and then you can drag the indicator over to your chart.

hopefully that’s not too confusing, if it is, let me know and I’ll try to explain better

I think we already have enough here to get on with but I wanted to get to work on backtesting something out of interest and found an article, which uses an extra filter around the crossover points of the middle bollinger for whether to get into a trade or not.

The basic filter is a:
5 period smoothed MA applied to the high & a 5 period smoothed MA applied to low. Only close trades when PA has a close outside of this tunnel…assuming an entry on the crossover of the middle bollinger.
…it’s late - hope that made sense :slight_smile:

…wondering what people’s thoughts are on the “Tunnel of 5” strategy in conjunction with TalonD’s middle boll crossover?
Recently the strat hasn’t needed it, and RC has talked about a hedging strategy to counter the times PA traverses/ranges back and forth across the middle band but, as you know, this is the major worry with crossover strategies and this is an extra spin/filter on staying out of trades during the ranging periods. As you know, as a spread better, I cannot hedge so I need something extra to base around these trades.

Another alternative to hedging would be to close out half portions of trades and leave 50% to run, etc. etc. but this misses out on pips.

Sharpening Your Edge Series: The Moving Averages - Forex transcript by Fx Knight(Andrei Pehar )

Well today was pretty good, I got a big piece of that drop.

[B]SanMiguel[/B]… excellent post! I would say everyone who is not an experienced trader should watch this. I already use this strat. I have up a 20:2 std dev boll and a 5:1 boll which does the same job. When PA steps outside both its a pretty certain bet its over bought/ sold. When PA is moving it will likely be outside both bolls. I like the 3 o’clock and 5 o’clock explanation. Basically he’s saying when the center line boll is 3 o’clock PA is ranging, when 5 o’clock its dropping steeply.

I have posted my 5m & 15m charts (expand to 200% to get a better view).

Just one other thing… don’t use high or low but open or close on the 5:1 boll it makes a big difference. :slight_smile:

With due respect to this guy were looking for PA steps outside the boll as indications of over bought/ sold on this thread. Using his smoothed MA’s PA will likely stay within the tunnel and not give a clear buy/ sell signal… my reason for using the 5:1 boll.

Dam… this guys giving away all the good stuff!!! :D:D:D