Can beauty pageants ever be empowering?

Critics of beauty pageants argue that it is demeaning to women that these contests evaluate women purely on physical appearances. This is self-fulfilling of course, as that is why the contestants enter. These contests do evaluate women on their physical appearances - they are beauty pageants, not character pageants. The name is honest enough and nobody is being hoodwinked.

As far as the demeaning is concerned, I’m not sure who is doing the demeaning. Is it the men who watch or the women who watch or the women who compete?

Nor which women they are demeaning. Maybe somebody who does believe in this “demeaning” hypothesis can offer some suggestions.

2 Likes

I have never understood beauty pageants, who is to say if the blond or red head is more attractive, then add race and you open another can of worms, it is no better than a dog show, how can anyone say a French Poodle is more attractive than a Cocker Spaniel. It is all so objective, as Hungerford once wrote " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

1 Like

True.

Plus I think they’re not great entertainment for an evening.

2 Likes

I seem to remember them being a big deal back when we only had three channels to choose from, and even then I remember them airing in the summer when the other channels were in re-run season

No entertainment value at all, I never understood Trump getting involved, maybe he just liked have dressing room privilege

3 Likes

I think they’re a bit daft and not something i’d particularly like my daughters devoting their time to. However, I definitely wouldn’t want them banned. I think it’s fine, entertaining for some (you also have Mr Universe for men), but ultimately pointless. However, I don’t always particularly use my own time that constructively, so who an I to go on about it?!

1 Like

Hmmm. :thinking: That’s a very interesting point, and tbh, I haven’t really thought about “who’s being demeaning,” when it comes to beauty pageants. :confused: Now I can’t stop thinking about it. Hahaha. :sweat_smile: But somehow, I feel like the problem some people have with beauty pageants has something to do with them creating extremely high beauty standards that normal women, especially the young ones, struggle to live up to. :thinking:

1 Like

I hate to say it, but the analogy makes sense. :confused: Beauty is still very subjective, but I suppose that for centuries, there have been various “depictions” of beauty? :open_mouth: Like, there are certain standards, and the closer you are to it, the more beautiful you are. In Korea, they equate beauty to fair skin, small face, big eyes, and slim body. The closer you are to this, the more beautiful you are. :open_mouth: I’m not sure how it works within the context of beauty pageants though, especially since those are international. :thinking:

1 Like

Not in the PH! Hahaha. :sweat_smile: I feel like our country is very big on beauty pageants, but it’s more about “Filipino Pride” or something. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

With such limited choices, I get why it used to be a big deal. :sweat_smile: Haha.

1 Like

Hahaha! :smiley: That’s an interesting perspective. :stuck_out_tongue: What if one day, one of your daughters tell you they’re interested in joining a big pageant? Would you let her?

1 Like

I think the girls who take part in them are being silly. I think a fair part of the objectification of women comes from other women. I’d tell a daughter of mine that!

1 Like

On that note, I think you will find the TV audience for these pageants is overwhelmingly female, or at least it is in the US

4 Likes

Men are attracted to beautiful women - women are attracted to successful men ! - in the old days, boys and girls sort of sorted themselves out into couples based on reasonably matched desirability.

Women are at their most attractive around 18-21 years old and showing themselves off in a competitive way like this is a pretty good way of advertising to the successful men who tend to be a bit older. - If they can make some money out of it and increase their self esteem in doing so - what the hell is wrong with that ? - Ok so it’s a bit of an annoyance to the less attractive and downright plain women who know they can’t compete - but hey who said the world was going to be fair ?

• Any of my girls wanted to enter ? - Why the hell not ? wandering about a stage in a bikini is a damn site better than Prostituting yourself on “Only Fans”
2 Likes

Hear hear - but in honesty it’s not only women who have been wrecked by the Frankfurt School Professors ! - and even then - there are plenty of women who would prefer a traditional way of life - but feel forced into “being strong and powerful” - just watch them panic as they approach 30 - childless !

2 Likes

There is always an unpleasant smell of snobbery, both culturally and intellectually, surrounding people who say that this thing or that thing is unhealthy to watch.

These people say that naturally, they would not be damaged or their attitudes corrupted or negative ideas encouraged in their minds - but this might happen in others.

Who are these others? Their answer is people in lower classes, either intellectually or culturally. The self-appointed moral guardians of society wish to control what the masses see. But of course they don’t want anyone controlling what they see: they are superior enough to not need this protection.

These people reek of rotten condescension.

3 Likes

I’m finding myself “Liking” a lot more of your posts than I used to mate ! - ODD - either you are changing and getting closer to my view or I am changing towards yours ! :rofl:

4 Likes

I think this has to do with age too. When I was younger I used to think this way too, that pageants are objectifying women etc etc. But honestly, if this is what they want to do, isn’t that empowering? That they get to do whatever the heck they want? Anyway, I find that as I’ve gotten older, my beliefs are no longer so tightly held and grace is something I value more.

I know what you mean. Some things I didn’t used to have a single opinion on are very important to me now. But I would say mostly that the more I know through age and experience, the less I understand about how the world really works. Its not so simple as I thought it was when I was 17.

Yup. Also I used to think in black and white. Never made any room for gray areas or nuances. Looking back, it seems so energy-draining. But also that is a feature of youth. To the young, the old probably seem jaded lol.

1 Like

I’m conflicted about pageants. I have a niece that does them and the pictures are always beautiful and I know she has a lot of fun. I used to want to do that with my daughter, because I feel like she’d enjoy the fun aspect of dressing up and it would make for good photos to have.
The reason I decided never to put her in them is because I just can’t get the idea of handing a trophy to a girl on the basis of thinking she’s pretty. I would much rather celebrate her for being smart than for her looks and don’t like the message these pageants give these girls. I think that it can create feelings of insecurity for the girls that never get the trophy. I would much rather see contests that celebrate acts of kindness, reward kids for reading, etc.

1 Like