Can beauty pageants ever be empowering?

I’m just as convinced that beauty pageants are harmless to the contestants - its very possible that just entering such a competition would be very affirmative and positive to the girl in question.

No doubt all the contestants have to learn quite a lot of self-discipline and build up a lot of confidence in order to get out there in front of judges and audiences. Its always been held drama lessons in school and learning the art of public speaking are great abilities to develop in the young. Isn’t this similar?

Sure, its superficial. But why would that be inherently harmful?

1 Like

They intelligent women Good luck using their beauty to elevate their lifestyles

I guess if you live in a culture where pageants are a big deal, superficial features become front and center for everyone. In South Korea, it is common for women to eat just a sweet potato for dinner lest they gain weight. Anyone who’s slightly heavier than 110 lbs or something is treated differently. Plastic surgery is also very common (which I personally have nothing against.) But just pointing out that when it becomes normalized, society behaves in a way that optimizes for whatever is rewarded the most which in this case is beauty.

Yes this exactly. Aka if you’re born poor and not conventionally “pretty,” what then?

I could argue for both sides lol since it is also empowering to do what you want to do even if that means joining beauty pageants.

1 Like

Look, just because not everybody can get the prize does not mean the competition is without value or negative.

This is the whole ethos of sports. They are developmental. As the saying goes, its the talking part that counts.

Should mountain-climbing be banned because not everyone can climb the mountain?

That one is based on skill at least - or it seems so. Like you need to physically train in order to be able to do those things. Beauty pageants rely on the features you were born with. BUT I suppose you can argue that contestants need to train, work out, etc. But the obvious premise though remains the same - you need to look a certain way. Vs. mountain climbing where ok physically not everyone can do that BUT if someone tried hard enough they might just be able to. If you’re deemed sujectively ugly in your society’s standards though… how can you try hard enough lol.

But the world isn’t in reality divided into only either people perceived as beautiful and people perceived as ugly.

Meeting cultural values in aesthetic terms is not a reason to get elected president or get a top job in a big bank or be charged with running a nuclear power station. But it is OK if you want to get into a contest against lots of other people perceived as beautiful and see which one is perceived as most beautiful.

I would be very happy to learn if right now somewhere in the world there is a competition in progress to find the most beautiful disabled lady. Hard to see that as anything but positive.

Just to be clear, I do see your point lol. I’m just trying to explain how others see the other side.

I’ve not seen one. I have seen trans beauty pageants though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

All depends on the intent of people entering and viewing them I suppose.
The child parents are something that don’t sit well with me .
If they people that attend don’t have kids in the pagent or are relatives that would raise a red flag for me

I’ve never won a beauty contest but I live in hope :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Everything has a good and a bad side. Some people are naturally born beautiful, they can use beauty of theirs to win pageants. Some women may use this platform to bring out social awareness, and messages, such as regarding social standards of beauty, struggles of poverty, gender inequality, and others. The word empower implies to make someone stronger and more confident, particularly in terms of directing their lives and asserting their rights. Thus, beauty pageants can be empowering as they give a woman the title of authority.

1 Like

Two years late on this…here I go.

Not always. There are features that are more widely accepted as attractive. Facial symmetry, full cheeks, smooth foreheads, big eyes, less fat in the neck and face, and more.

Sure, who each individual finds attractive varies, but there are general standards–even across different cultures.

Most men don’t like fat chicks, just like most women don’t like short men.

1 Like

Nah! Beauty pageants often prioritise physical appearance above other qualities, which can create an unhealthy focus on appearance and lead to negative body image issues.

2 Likes

Trying to tell women what they can do and what they can’t do almost always leads to negative issues. It is still a popular pastime in some backward parts of the world.

2 Likes

I don’t see it as a pastime. It’s for their own protection. Women need protection from themselves. Men provide that.

Sure, some men are dirtbags. But that’s not the same thing. Men should be leaders for women, but not abusive.

Well, anything with good intentions can lead to something detrimental. But that doesn’t mean the original activity was intentionally bad. Women already have negative body issues. Getting rid of beauty pageants wouldn’t change that.

Women’s dating place market value is mostly based on her looks. That’s why women spend so much money on cosmetics, dresses, high heels, and a bunch of other stuff. The same way men compete in strength competitions, women compete in beauty.

You can argue that women compete in strength competitions like men, but that’s a super small group. Most women don’t like touching dumbells over 3kg because they don’t want too much muscle and end up looking like a man. Women would rather suffer osteoporosis than lift heavy weights and try to prevent it.

And sure, beauty pageants prioritize physical appearance above other qualities, that’s how the world is. But, it’s a competition so certain aspects get amplified. That’s literally what a competition is. People step up their game in a competition.

When was the last time a guy noticed a girl from across the room because she has a bright personality?

Like most competitions - the only people who don’t like them are those who are not good enough to compete !

Like fat women ! :rofl:

1 Like

Not true anymore. This fat boy won a beauty pageant!

@Falstaff what do you think?

Fat women not winning a beauty pageant is not cruel. It’s just reality. If a man goes to a crowded pub and there are 30 women, do you think he’s approaching the fat girl first??

He’s not approaching the fat girl unless there’s a bet with his friends, or it’s 3am and there’s slim pickings.

This is the natural state of the dating market. The beauty pageant is similar. The only reason it can be held liable is because it’s an institution. No one can hold a bar accountable for fat chicks not getting men’s attention.

The judges of this pageant, however, either gave in to pressure or are delusional. The cross dressing boy should compete in a drag queen show. Should women compete in a drag queen show? No! Because she’s not a drag queen!! You don’t enter a dog in a cat show, do you? Of course not.

I’m starting to digress. I just wanted to share that video.

Back on topic.

Beauty pageants can be empowering for women in the sense that it ignites the spirit of competition in aspects that speak to the nature of women. Generally speaking, women care more about beauty, clothes, and makeup more than they do about sports.

How do I know? Women are more likely to spend money on cosmetics than tickets to a sports game.

But, for some reason, we question the pageants because we’re not accepting the main thing that women are valued for: their beauty.

Of course, there’s more to a women than her physical beauty. That’s why the contestants get involved in charities and such. Much of which is fake, which supports the idea that women value their beauty more than their character.

I used to think that beauty pageants are shallow. Well, that’s what beauty is, isn’t it? Physical beauty is literally skin-deep! By definition, it IS shallow. But that doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. It just is what it is.

1 Like

Superb post @dushimes - What a shame i can only give one like ! - there are at least 5 points you made that I was impressed by - In particular your image of the fat boy winning the beauty pageant !

I have to say - none of those women were super - attractive - but most at least had slim ankles and shapely legs (that’s my own fetish !) - that “donkey” whom you said “won it” - well I suppose that sort of stuff is why the OP felt it necessary to start the thread ! - and anyone who says “She was the most beautiful” - is living in a fantasy world !

1 Like

Well, it’s a competition. Let the chips fall where they may. I wonder who got 2nd place? Maybe the on-site plumber got 2nd, since they’re letting anyone compete.

I just realized I never even read the article in the first post. So, I skimmed thru it.

I wanna address this point:
“Pageants are horrible but that is from my vantage point as a white, privileged woman who had a really good education. I talked to a lot of women, particularly from the South, before we made the film, and for them, pageants were ‘a way out’.”

It’s funny because, nowadays Instagram is so big that women can post pics of themselves and get invited to almost anywhere in the world. Posting a few pics can turn into a real opportunity.

Beauty Pageants are a more formal avenue for that. But even if they’re not a way out, they still inspire competition. Of course, sometimes competition brings out the worst in us. That just comes with the territory.

This was a kinda messy thread so I’m not sure what I feel about you reviving it. :sweat_smile: HAHAHA. But I do agree that sometimes, certain cultures have “beauty standards.” A strong example would be Korean Beauty Standards which are very very specific.

But curious to know your thoughts on beauty pageants. :thinking:

1 Like

I agree. :confused: But I think this is already rampant on different forms of media and social media, with or without beauty pageants. :frowning:

2 Likes