Can beauty pageants ever be empowering?

It’s super big here in the Philippines. :sweat_smile: But I feel like it’s mostly because we usually make it to the top 15 and higher. :thinking:

1 Like

She’s pale as a ghost!! Oh god! You sure she’s alive? haha

Beauty standards are really only useful when picking a model for advertisements or something like that. It’s just for mass appeal. Producers try to pick a girl that is attractive to as many people as possible. That’s what I think.

However, it’s also a reflection of society. This is what men generally find attractive. GENERALLY. It’s not a rule. There are girls with big noses that a super hot. There are darker skinned Koreans that are super hot.

I don’t know who this is. I just googled ¨dark skin Korean girls¨ and and found her.

She’s definitely smokin hot. She’s not pale at all. So, now what?

After a while, you stop worrying about mainstream standards so much, and you just start having standards for yourself. No one’s perfect.

Besides, let’s not forget the hot/crazy scale.

2 Likes

HAHAHA but generally in korea, they do like it when you’re super pale! :smiley: I feel like that’s the case in most countries in East Asia. :confused: That’s why hot and tan people are still considered inferior to the pale ones.

I SEE THIS EVERYWHERE HAHAHA do guys really adhere to this?!

1 Like

Yes! But every female will bring some kind of craziness into a man’s life, because men and women are different. For women, their behaviour is normal. but for men, it’s crazy.

Some men prefer what are called ¨comfortable 6s¨. That means she looks good, but not hot enough to attract too many guys and create excessive competition for his girl.

It seems to me that all those beauty pageants are completely rigged. Even the most prominent ones, like Miss Universe or Miss World.
Some oligarch or head of a drug cartel decides to promote his girlfriend in this peculiar manner.
There is nothing empowering for women.

Perhaps the winner is rigged, but there is still the spirit of competition in the pageants, regardless. The World Cup could be rigged, but it’s still fun to watch, and the players still compete at their best.

Or no?

Absolutely. There is one winner but possibly hundreds of participants. They need energy, determination, stamina, persistence and of course a competitive spirit. All gain and develop these strengths through competition.

1 Like

Not really @ria_rose - the crazies that are Hot get their own way mostly - and the Guys regret it at leisure later ! - Ever heard of “Amber Herd” ? “Meghan Markle” ? - I know the scale sort of works in the West - but I somehow get the feeling that in your part of the world perhaps it doesn’t apply so much ? - Yet even as I type this I am becoming less sure ! :rofl:

1 Like

Agreed - so long as the competition is reasonably fair - clearly in the competition @dushimes posted above - It was NOT ! - in such cases - it merely serves to bring the whiole competition into disrepute and leave a nasty taste in the mouths of all genuine participants

1 Like

Yeah, but it’s men’s fault mostly. When a girl is very attractive, men often are scared to disagree with her and end up tolerating disrespectful behaviour from her because they don’t want to hurt any chances of getting something physical from her. So, she lives in this reality that she can do what she wants without consequences. Hence, the craziness. That’s one reason for it. The hotter she is, the less men correct her.

I agree. Imagine how the other participants felt! ¨That’s not even a girl!!!¨ That’s terrible.

Right! But let’s not forget at the more local levels, also. I doubt the smaller pageants are rigged as much as the world class competitions–the stakes are too low at the local level. There are tons of participants across the world at the local level who have a fair chance of winning. Unfortunately, in the sample above a boy actually won, which makes it even more sad.

3 Likes