Closing winners too early

Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum. I am looking for help. I have developed a bad habit of closing my winners too early. Has anyone else experience this and how have you turned it around. I know there are some issues going on in my life that I am struggling with that have made this problem worse, I lost a close family member.
I just can seems to stick with a winning trade and I close it out after a few pips of profit or after it hits the first support/resistance. My account is going now where fast as I am only making small gains. Risk management on the losers isn’t a problem as I have developed good habits. A friend of mine has told me that he is also having a similar problem at the moment and is taking a break from trading.
Any help would be appreciated, how can I just let my winners run to their targets?

Thanks in advance

Hi @Ackack,

Welcome to BP! Some questions for you…

Are you trading EST?

What time frame?

What are your reasons for closing the trade?

What percentage of your account are you using on each trade and what is your lot size?

What’s your screen time in checking on your trades? Does it take you a few minutes to a half an hour to check them and then walk away or are you monitoring them tick by tick, sitting in front of the monitor hours at a time?

KC

1 Like

welcome to this forum as a newcomer , happy trading

1 Like

Hi Franflost.

I dont trade EST very often, I am European based. I trade across all time frames but mainly 15 mins for entries. No good reason for closing trades just it gets to first support/resistance and compelled to close it by emotions. I only risk a max of 2% when I am in the zone, sometimes I go as low as 0.1% in a drawdown, my average is around 1%. I am actively checking and watching my trades at the screen. So tick by tick.

Thanks

@Ackack ,

If you trading on very small time frames maybe you’re not closing your trades too early.

It may seem so in retrospect but to make that call of closing a trade quickly, on a fast, small time frame is challenging.

Signals to close would appear more often on lower time frames then higher time frames.

So perhaps, objectively, you’re closing based on information at hand given the time frame you are trading.

I am sure anexperienced trader will stop by to give their input.

KC

Do you suggest trading on a higher timeframe?

NO I don’t think its about trading on a higher time frame. Its more about using the higher time frame to determine entry and exit.

Thank you.
I do that as part of my setup, I trade with the trend as much as possible, and I prefer to find trades that in line with what the trend is doing. If I can get the trend working in multiple time frames then that is my preferred direction.

OK, Let me explain it a little further, its good to know that the multiple time frame confirmation determines your entry. the implication for this is that if for example you entered a bullish trade on 15m time frame for a pair, you have seen a bullish candle building on the 1hr and 4hr or possibly the d1 and w1 time frames. So 4hr being the largest time fraction within a day( I mean that the day is broken into 6 4hr candles) (I assume you are trading intraday). so you should be expected to wait for the end of a 4hr candle close before you make a decision on exiting a trade

2 Likes

Excellent, that makes a lot of sense, thank you

How do you define your exit rules? Maybe they just need tweaking and testing again? Do you have clear exit rules?

1 Like

Hello @Ackack

I agree with you when you say that trade management is much easier when your in the negative as opposed to managing a winning trade.

Instead of closing your position when price reaches a new s/r level, maybe you should move your s/l up and let your position run?

1 Like

That’s interesting, I’ve heard many people use a lower time frame - meaning an hourly or 30 minute or 15 minute instead of a daily - for entries and exits.

KC

1 Like

Try closing in tranches. When price reaches the area where you’re tempted to close, just close half. If it goes even more, and you’re tempted to close again close half of the half.

2 Likes

@GilasTrading , this is a great approach! I tend to do this.

KC

1 Like

Thanks for your replies everyone. Definitely some good ideas and food for thought.

Trailing stop loss. You can find plenty of videos on YouTube. It’s a practical habit we all should use.

Happy Trading!

1 Like

I suffer from the same problem, because I’m trying to “not lose money”, so every time a trade is winning, I want to keep the profits, even they are small. And when I’m losing, I let the losers run and my average loser trade is bigger than my average win.
I’m trying to develop a better trading plan by setting targets for exit the trade, they are based on Fibonacci levels and moving averages. And I also trail the stop loss to breakeven after an x amount of pips is gained, and to profit levels after that. Closing half of the position on profit is also a great idea, let the rest run to better profits. The best approach would be to let the trade run to your profit target and not close it before that happens! Hope I could help.

1 Like

Hi; I set my TP & SL according to the position of support and resistant.

1 Like

Mark Douglas - Trading in the Zone