Coffee is life, don't you agree?

Yes I did like the bubble tea. I had a classic, with tapioca balls, and then one that was spicey - I don’t know what was in that exactly. These would be very refreshing drinks on a hot afternoon.

I would buy one again. But I also admit it did seem I was paying a lot for cold tea with some lumps…

Excuse me, they’re called “sinkers.” haha I kid.

Even though I’m Asian, I’m actually not a big fan of them milk tea drinks. I feel like they’re just giant sugar bombs with tapioca balls.

A spicy drink though, that’s something I haven’t tried yet. If you can remember the name, maybe it’s something our boba tea shops here have. Sounds kind of good IF it isn’t too sweet.

Sinkers - I like that.

I know what you mean - very sweet. The spicy tea was not very spicy, I think it had a lot of sugar too. But well worth trying and I will get another type soon.

I’m in for fresh grind, medium roast, organic, black, no milk or sugar.

Used to drink coffee all day long up until dinner. Now I’m done at 2

KC

1 Like

Me too. Rarely drink real coffee late in the day - good coffee is strong coffee, and strong coffee is a morning thing.

Incidentally, where you say “dinner”, because I am from the north of England, I say “tea”. Just thought I’d mention it.

Fresh grind is a different thing all together. Definitely stronger. I’m down to two cups a day now since the switch. i do love a good coffee after dinner though. More for taste and maybe habit (addiction?), but yea, it screws with your bed time for sure. I’m a night owl anyway, and with a coffee late in the day, I can stay up until the sun is breaking through in the morning.

I’m just getting started finding out about freshly ground beans, so maybe everything will be strong compared to what I used to drink!

The following interview really pushed me to fresh grind all the time!

Here’s the link great interview by Terry Gross of NPR with Dr. Emlen who is an entomologist. But the best part is the paragraphs from the interview that follow!! :open_mouth::laughing::laughing:

GROSS: …but why do you think that even entomologists don’t like cockroaches?

Dr. EMLEN: I shouldn’t have said that. I’m already going to regret it. But I knew - I know several entomologists that they have not liked cockroaches. For one thing many, many people are allergic to cockroaches. They have - basically cockroaches developing in your house or in a building, shed their cuticle, their skeleton and their skin as the molt as they grow. And they also have (unintelligible) or feces that they produce and these have chemical residues on them that many, many people are allergic to. And, I mean, I hate to say this on record but you’d be hard pressed to find any building probably in this country that’s not infested with cockroaches at some level or another. Certainly all public buildings, they’re - it’s impossible to keep these things completely gone. And what happens is then the shed pieces of cuticles and frass get picked up in the air duct systems of these buildings and dispersed around the buildings.

And a lot of people suspect now that may be a major trigger for asthma, one of the causes of asthma because so many people are allergic to or sensitive to cockroaches. I can tell you an anecdotal story about that if you’d like…

GROSS: Please.

Dr. EMLEN: …that is sort of - okay. It’s peripheral to what we’ve been talking about but when I was an undergraduate, I was hugely influenced by a professor of mine, a biologist and entomologist named George Ichor(ph), one of the greatest entomologists I ever met. And I remember driving across the country with him when I was a college undergraduate. He was an advisor to me. I was doing research out at a place called The Rocky Mountain Lab in Colorado. And we had to keep going way out our way - this was in the late '80s, this is before there was a Starbucks on every corner and you can get really good coffee.

And he was fiercely addicted to caffeine - to coffee. And we’d have to drive way off the interstate to go find good coffee in that day. I mean, we’d go 45 minutes off our route to go find a place that had whole bean fresh ground coffee. And I remember giving him a really hard time because we were wasting a lot of travel time trying to feed his addiction because he need a coffee every couple of hours. And he finally explained to me he had to drink only sort of whole bean fresh ground coffee. And it was because of cockroaches. There’s a point to this story which is that he found out the hard way from teaching entomology year after year after year, handling cockroaches - people used cockroaches as the lab rat for entomology labs - he got really badly allergic to them. So, he couldn’t even touch cockroaches without getting an allergic reaction. And because of that he couldn’t drink pre-ground coffee. And it turned out when he looked into it that pre-ground, you know, your big bulk coffee that you buy in a tin, is all processed from these huge stock piles of coffee. These piles of coffee, they get infested with cockroaches and there’s really nothing they can do to filter that out. So, it all gets ground up in the coffee…

GROSS: Oh.

Dr. EMLEN: …and he was actually allergic to pre-ground coffee because of that sort of spin off from having handled them teaching entomology for all those years.

1 Like

50:50 fascinating and disgusting.

2 Likes

True!!

The industrial food complex… I don’t think we know the half of it!

Very grateful for the simplicity and convenience but…

KC

I wish I could experience what others experience from coffee, but all I get is a racing heart, a brief surge of energy and then a most unpleasant caffeine crash, so I have long given up on coffee. :frowning:

yea, i guess coffee isn’t for everyone :frowning: what about tea? :slight_smile:

That’s disgusting to hear if it’s completely true. So another win for whole beans then!

What about decaf? Still has caffeine. Perhaps an option?

Found this for you that gives a couple things to try if the caffeine hits too hard. Actually, it’s an interesting read.

• Buy Arabica beans
  • Try a darker roast (always thought darker meant more caffeine for some reason…)
  • Coarser grind as finer grounds release more caffeine
  • Use less ground coffee

I am not that fond of the taste to bother with decaf. Usually I just prefer a mug of hot chocolate instead.

It depends on the amount of the coffee anyway, no matter how you put it - it really created to be there for whatever reason. How can we go on with that ? If you will drink a lot of coffee it will loose whole his effects with that matter anyway, how can we compete with such ? drink less.

Drink more to live more!

Every two additional cups of coffee improved one’s odds of an extended life span by 22 percent, researchers determined.

Okay okay, it’s not definitive, but until the next study comes out saying coffee kills, drink up!

But only if you do know your measure - correctly. I do want to make correction that it will not help if you will make it like 10 cups of day routine anyway. Also I suggest you take it in grains for whatever reason you may have correctly. Coffee should be used in right dosage.

I measure my own, so I’m good with the measurements. Plus, both studies that were mentioned in the article gave a range of 1-8 cups and 1-4 cups of coffee. I guess your own number of cups could fluctuate if you drink larger or smaller sized cups of coffee than what is normal, but I don’t ever drink more than 4 cups of coffee in a day.

I am completely a coffeholic, but yes, I do take care that I do not over do the intake.

Read this today. I don’t drink anywhere near this. It’s actually crazy to drink this much coffee!

I’m trying to actually decrease my caffeine intake. I hate being dependent on something. (Although if you think about it, we’re all dependent on food, water etc. anyway lmao.) But yes, the insomnia and the diuretic effects of it is starting to get a tad bit annoying.