Common indicators in sideway trading

hello every body
What are some common indicators or tools used to identify potential entry and exit points in sideway trading?

Hi,

Sideways trading, or range trading, refers to a market condition where a security’s price moves within a specific range for a certain period of time, indicating a balance between supply and demand. Here are some common tools and indicators traders use to identify potential entry and exit points in this type of market:

Support and Resistance Levels

Moving Averages

Bollinger Bands

Relative Strength Index (RSI

Stochastic Oscillator

On-Balance Volume (OBV

Fibonacci Retracements

No indicator is perfect, and they should ideally be used in combination with other analysis techniques (fundamental analysis, for example) to confirm signals and improve the overall trading strategy. It’s important to set proper stop loss levels to limit potential losses.

2 Likes

Hi, I can add ADX.

1 Like

Is this something you really want to do?

2 Likes

Hey there! When it comes to spotting entry and exit points in sideways trading, some common tools are Bollinger Bands, RSI, and support/resistance levels. These tools can help you gauge volatility, overbought/oversold conditions, and key price levels.

2 Likes

are you asking me?

@maya95

Sideways is my favorite, favorite trade Days.

9,20 200, 500 emas.

1 Like

No @ProfesorPips, I wanted to ask @maya95 but although I clicked to reply to their post, my post didn’t link back with it.
Cheers.

2 Likes

support and resistance (if you really feel you must trade ranging markets, for some reason!)

some people try to use Bollinger Bands as a lazy substitute for support and resistance, and often dress that fact up with the strange phrase “dynamic support and resistance”, but it’s a poor substitute for price support and resistance

Here is what I could find on Google: The indicators used to predict sideways are the Relative Strength Index (RSI), Stochastic Momentum, Average Directional Index (ADI), and Bollinger Bands . The major historical sideways trend occurred between 1966 to 1982. The traders noticed three cylindrical sideways moves in the U.S. stock market.

Hello @mondeoman
Thanks for the great info.
I use the first two.
But i have not heard about Stochastic Oscillator
and Bollinger Bands i should have a search on them.

Oh and sorry in what combination do you use them?
the staffs you have mentioned above?

Hello @paulina_wagner
thanks yeah i myself did some research and find a list of them, I wanna know who in fact use those the most in real trading.

Yeah, I personally use support and resistance, but I’m sorry, I’ve never heard of Bollinger Bands. I’m new to trading.
As I see skilled traders here, the majority of individuals rely on the support and resistance I identified here. @flamingoproxy, many thanks

Is it based on technical analysis ? am i right?
I suppose this is one of those that is frequently used

what do you mean?
I used the support and resistance indicators i wanna make sure that I ma going through the right path. coz I am sort of new to this business.
wanna know hat others are using.

I think I somehow fell behind because I had never heard of it before. what i was doing??? :sleepy:
every body knows bollinger.

It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoy sideways trading. sideways markets might present uncommon possibilities.am I right?

yes, Average Directional Index (ADX) Definition | Forexpedia™ by BabyPips.com

not really - nothing “uncommon” about them: markets are ranging more often than they’re trending, so you could say they’re “common possibilities,” really (i find them much harder to profit from, myself, comapred with trending markets, but that might just be me)