COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

Very interesting Peter! If I look at the very early chart, when we were sleeping, still it did not reach your exit point. I do not know which S&P500 I have as I cannot choose from different ones. I attach the picture of my 4H chart and I also show the highest and lowest levels.

FE

Btw, an update on tomorrow and end of month flow:

September Month-End Model Favors Slight USD Strength

Yes FE,

That chart is def a Dec Future for S&P.

Iā€™m thinking that maybe only brokers in UK and Ireland offer the ā€˜rolling dailyā€™ via spreadbet (for us gamblers I bet).

The rolling daily has the small advantage of a tighter spread, but then rolling charges apply if kept open overnight.

I notice on Oandaā€™s MT4 they show the mid for the rolling daily - itā€™s very close to 2 broker feeds that I checked.

Hi Peter,
What would I do if you were not there to explain all this? Well, actually my broker is also UK based (GAIN UK) so I guess that I should have the rolling daily option but I donā€™t.

Anyway, for today it is enough for me to learn there are different S&P500 values. I just care at this moment the one S&P where I am in the market and if that goes hopefully high. Tomorrow I can learn about the other S&Ps and why is it so complicatedā€¦

It is also great you mentioned us the month end fix. I do not know the others but I forgot it comletely. After reading the article, it does not have a large influence this time though. What is interesting, we have talked last time to sell USD on London open and buy it back on London close. Well, Matt does not write anything about selling, only that USD should get stronger. So I have to say your information is better.

Would you agree that JPY and CHF holds good today vs. USD and GBP because of risk off sentiment? At least I do not see any other reason why exactly these two are holding to their levels.

Hi everyone,

Before I go, I have a surprise for you guys:
Live Trading Sessions | FOREX.com UK

I do not know too many brokers but Forex.com has great support and also good education. So I attend sometimes these live seminars. I do not think that you have to sign up to watch it live. Now do not expect new tricks there, it is mostly there for newbies. Still, the good part is that you can ask any questions. That is why I am there. They analyse the charts on technical levels and I ask live what I want. There is also a live coverage for NFP reports every month. I will be definitely in for that one. They make also a trade and explain how they enter, SL, TP etc. Quite good. So if you guys have the possibility then come into it. There are usually 3 people who hold these seminars, one is Matt, who wrote the article on ā€œmonth end fixā€ - the article Peter attached.

Good night guys, I go to read and check everything tomorrow again!

I was happy re cable today - I am not just as sure about any follow thru tomorrow, - the risk re Hong Kong may increase.

Anyways, letā€™s see what tomorrow brings us.

Hey guys.

Here comes Monday.

EUR: +4 -0 3///+2 -0 1
CHF: +3 -0 4///+2 -0 1
CAD: +2 -0 5///+0 -0 5
GBP: +2 -0 5///+2 -0 1
USD: +2 -1 4///+2 -0 1
JPY : +2 -2 3///+2 -0 1
AUD: +1 -6 0///+0 -5 0
NZD: +0 -7 0///+0 -5 0

Well the Majors took this one. +10
CAD was the strongest Comm. And not had a down day against anyone. There was a whole lot of evens today.
NZD was weakest. Period.

Here comes 00GMT shot.

Talk to ya in the am.

Mike

Thank you Peter for sharing this! , Iā€™ll keep this as a manual in trading indexes. I do understand the correlation between bond and stock market however what I donā€™t quite comprehend is how is CRB or commodity index blends in with all of these whatā€™s it correlated to ?

Hey guysā€¦

Reading all the good posts Iā€™m starting to think I may be falling a little behind on this learning curve while you guys are all on S&P500 well except for me and Mike everyone seems to be on it. Iā€™m enjoying the discussion guys and thank you Peter! for being here with the noobs and sharing your wisdom :slight_smile:

FEā€¦ looks like weā€™ve been agreeing on a lot of things lately and I saw your response to Mike on technicals and should I repeat myself again that I agree with you on that as well ! These days equipped with fundamentals and COT bias Iā€™m finding myself trading naked charts as I find so called levels proving hard to hold when re tested if the fundamentals donā€™t align.

How low do you guys think NZDUSD could go? Looks like dollar rallies are overdoneā€¦ or not?

Hi PipDiddy,

on the NZDUSD we all have the same view actually: south. Based on our fundamental view and COT report it will fall in the future too. The pair might retrace some or take a break but there should be no change in the trend.

Good luck

Well a short-term target for me would be 0.7710. We just reached it. Over the long term we will have to wait and see how persistent New Zealand are keen to lower that exchange rate, if they are then at least 0.7200.

As for dollar, I think the consensus is that it is overdone but its not time to sell it just yet. Iā€™m sure the rest of the group will have more elaborative answers for you as well.

Good morning fellas! :44:

Well Iā€™m surely no expert, PipDiddy, but it does look like thereā€™s a struggle between the market and their central bank. We have been hearing how they still want a much lower exchange rate, even intervening to get some momentum. But the market loves to ride them up from time to time. I think itā€™s gonna be a gradual decline. The more and more they keep talking it down, the more the market will give in. The interest rate differential is what the market loves. I think that will make it such a relatively slow decline. Weā€™ll have to keep a close watch on the COT figures to confirm that. They are a tough cookie to crack though!

Mike

Well said Mike!, youā€™ve pretty much said my thought on this that leaves me with nothing much to add on top. I see youā€™re getting ahead of the learning curve lately Mike, but donā€™t be that fast I mean at this rate youā€™re going to get a Doc title pretty soon ā€¦

Docā€¦
You sure do make me feel good with those comments. I appreciate it a lot!
But, I am not that smart. All I know how to do is put things into perspective, THATā€™S IT.
YOU guys are the ones with the intelligence. I am missing so much knowledge itā€™s not even funny.
Knowledge is everything. And thatā€™s what makes us all a good team. You guys provide the inside intelligence, and I will put it all together, wrap it up and ship it out.

Thanks Docā€¦but I will always look up to you guys.

Mike

Well there you go, no follow thru, back to some good old USD buying.

1 hr chart, from the open this week so far. USDollar index. 0918 GMT Tuesday.

Ok. How about the MONTHLY chart.

Hey guys.
Man, I made a mistake. Corrected it now.
It was CAD numbers against the Majors. So they were up against their own yesterday, but against the other team they held off everyone. Even against the Majors. They are the only thing holding up the Comms lately.
They must be riding the coat tails of the mighty USD.
Interesting.

(sorry about that)

Mike

Hey Peter!

I see youā€™re online :51:, I posted this earlier while you were away and its lost now probably few pages back. So Iā€™m writing it again in case if you have missed it you mentioned how you look at CRB index in trading S&P 500 index along with stock and bond market correlation. Whats it correlated to and how is CRB blends with all of these confluence factors, correlation. I understand the correlation between stock and bond market. What I donā€™t get it CRB index ? Iā€™m thinking hard but canā€™t find any reason :34:

Hey guys.
Interesting article about whatā€™s going on in China. You guys up on this stuff?
Why Hong Kong unrest scares markets.