Current Affairs effect on the market

Chose the FLT company because the CEO is a friend.

Inflation (cpi) is merely a reflection of what’s happening on the P&L of business.

On the “expenditure” column the 3 largest numbers are usually wages, energy & shipping, often in that order. When the expenditure no.s rise then business must raise prices to offset.

In the past the usual culprit of rising expenditure thus inflation has been wages - this time around that has not been the case - the other 2 have been the driver.

Inflation change is slow, takes a while for increased prices to reach the consumer - oft times the mfctr will absorb some increases then likewise the wholesaler, eventually the retailer - competition is the driver here.

Shipping rates peaked late 21 at just over $10k per container - up from an average of 1.7

The drop has been steady in 22 - by mid June just over 7k - still high nonetheless - finally back to 2k beginning of 23.
Problem is that energy prices went back on the rise mid 23 with wholesale energy stubbornly high - those have begun to fall in recent months.

The key going forward will revert back to wage levels.

EG is usually influenced by Eur/Usd & Gbp/Usd

Take today for example - EG on the rise from 87.00 & reasonable chance is headed to 87.50

GBP/USD today fell back about half yesterday’s rise on the cpi news, on the other hand Eur/USD has fallen about a quarter.

Intermarket analysis by John Murphy is a good read on the Gold/Bond/Usd relationships

China/US meet now on - if good outcome then could have positive effect on Aud - early days (hours) yet.

For guys following the EURO. I think better days are coming for this currency. If you trade the EUR/USD pair I think now is the perfect time to enter a long trade. Why? For two reasons:

• Historically the Euro always tends to finish the year in an uptrend. This is related to the consumer behaviour of the Europeans. As the end of the year approaches, people from Europe tend to spend a lot. Whether it is connected with Christmas shopping or investing their saved money, they spend. This positively affects the economy and the currency.
  • Another thing is the economic indicators. The last ECB meeting was the first time they didn’t decide to continue with the hike of increasing the interest rate. This is positive news. This means that the inflation is within the frames and knowing that the central banks react slowly, I think the next meeting will have even better news.

Yup. I was talking to a crop importer and she was saying prices are still above pre pandemic levels but def way below 2021 peak. Asking friends in the food industry also and prices have come down but still pretty high like you said. Curious to see what will happen in Q1 2024.

Many factors at play I suppose.

One factor for sure is good ol’ profit making - it will take some competition to rectify.

This headline from BBC this morning.

Makers of some popular food brands have raised prices by more than their costs over the past two years, according to the UK’s competition watchdog.

Interesting. And if people keep buying them then I guess we’re stuck with these ridic prices.

That was Oct 31 - Yen reached 152 (almost) 2 wks later - since declined - and then even more momentum today on the back of comments from the BoJ

Guess there are several ways of defending a line.

Pretty much like very other affairs on the market. How I see things basically now is this: unless there is a mass extinction black-swan event like covid, there is a very slight change that everything will go lower across the board. Sure, everything is going to have some sort of effect on certain asset classes. But the net effect only will be the fact that the money just has to shift somewhere else. While something is going down, something else is going up somewhere else, you just need to locate that.

In other market news - US Stocks.

Ryan Detrick noted last week that 60% of S&P constituents hit a new 20day high - a signal that suggests gains for the S&P over next year.

Accuracy?

It’s not a common occurrence - 15 times to be exact - 100% accurate.

1 Like

All time high on the Dow has been hit - is it still likely a US recession come 2024?

I think not, so too does the market.

1 Like

Many ‘experts’ were saying yesterday to fade the rise on the Russell 2000 today.

Their reasoning is that when compared with the others the small caps are lagging very far behind.

The failure with this reasoning is to recognize that small caps are lagging because higher int rates affects them most since they are seldom cash rich thus greater need for borrowing.

The rise in stocks yesterday was primarily caused by an expectation that the ground is being laid for an end to rate rises and a fall in same.

So who will benefit most in such a scenario?

Today the Russell 2000 outshone the others

1 Like

That it did back last week, 2 days back it broke it’s most recent daily high and then retreated.

The down candle caused by sellers?

Next day, yesterday, the candle was a green one - no sellers on hand.

Anyways - today has a certain importance - it’s to do with Santa.

Today is the 1st day of the Santa Claus Rally - a 7 trading day period - if stocks rally then that’s seasonal and therefore not a biggie.

It’s when a seasonal trend does NOT happen that ears prick up - so let’s see the next 6 days - today’s close on par for a SCR day - with 1,5 hrs to go that is.

Those 1.5 hrs can be crucial to a whole days trading

1 Like

Santa Rally - day 1 - flat

1 Like

That same all time high hit on that day’s close was support 1 week later.

For the year ahead it’s still possible to hear some guys calling a recession - thing is there is little evidence for this call.

The US Treasury Sec, called inflation right and the outlook for recession back 6 months:

"Growth has slowed, but our labor market continues to be quite strong – I don’t expect a recession,"
She linked the jobs market with prices:

"The most recent inflation data were quite encouraging,"

That was an interview as reported by Business Insider on July 17 2023

We have had an 8 week run higher on the S&P - worth checking what history says happens after such a streak.

Have a prosperous 2024 everyone.

1 Like

And coming into close on day 7 - flat.

Then again it’s not actually the close, just over 1.5 hours to go.

Or perhaps even a whole week’s trading

Indeed an entire year - can the ‘flat’ be support or resistance for the S&P & stocks for 2024?

Some chatter about military activity re Yemen - full cabinet meeting UK just over - Starmer also briefed.

Could have an effect on risk assets and oil price.

Edit: should add that freight rates have taken a marked increase in recent weeks - if the rise were to continue then could hamper efforts to decrease inflation rates.

1 Like

Oil rose to just over 75 & then fell back to under 73 - likewise stocks backed off the highs - it’s a weekend - increased geo political risk over weekends is not a time to hold buys.

1 Like

That was last month - nothing much has changed except more all time highs.

Upcoming recession?

Nope.

1 Like

That post highlighted a horiz line on the daily S&P - it was a significant move that day in Nov thus why I posted

Thought I’d update that chart following yet another manic Monday - I have painted an arrow on the candle re the earlier post.

S&Pdaily
the reference to TA & FA coming together.

1 Like