Democracy - European Union Style - is this real democracy?

Hypothetical question

There is an election in a democratic club to elect a president and there are several nominations.

There are discussions among those responsible for choosing the short-list and when the 600 voters are required to vote for those on the Ballot paper - there is only ONE candidate.

Is that “Democracy” ?

• Yes that is Democracy
  • No that is Not Democracy

0 voters

Ok well so far we have 6 votes

and as may be expected, there is no doubt in the respondents minds ;

I’m now going to give you some background to the question, but I’ll leave the poll open and invite people’s comments as well.

The reason I put up this post is because on monday, some people whose names we do not know had a meeting and thrashed out a few nominations and decided on a person to be made President of the European Union. On Tuesday this person was announced in the “European Parliament” - a few more than 600 MEPs and they were allowed to hear her policies (SCARY stuff). Speeches were then allowed by some of these MEP’s and they were allowed to vote for their “Preferred Candidate” - BUT Remember there is only one on the paper, and that name was not even known to the MEPs until that very morning.

Nigel Farage was allowed nearly 2 and a half minutes and here is what he had to say;

Now this is what Europe and the EU looks like.

As you can see this is quite a large place and this woman is now President of it - Ruling over it just as any other “President” does.

Let me ask you Americans and Asians, Australians, New Zealanders, Africans, and yes Fillipinas too ! would this situation be acceptable to you ? Is this how “Presidents” should be "Elected " ?
It should perhaps be borne in mind too that even with only ONE Candidate - she only got a majority of NINE ! -

It remains a mystery to me how anybody can really WANT to Remain under this tyranny !

Democracy in the EU - and why we would rather not participate - thank you for your kind offer !!

1 Like

European Commissioners being democratically “Elected” today

Listen to the Rapturous Applause :sunglasses:

Was going to post this a few days ago - but this seems an opportune time.

After 31st Oct and the UK leave then the brexiteer’s nemesis - Michel Barnier’s job is done, he will not lead the negotiations on a future UK/EU trade deal.

That job will fall t o the new EU Trade Commissioner - he’s not French or German or from any of the other EU countries - he is a little closer to home.

You sit in Germany criticising our sovereign decision to leave - We are still members and paying for the waste and beaurocracy of which I speak. Whilst I am paying - I am entitiled to point out the dreadful mess you are in !

Lol ! :rofl:

Expect more punishment beatings then !

Actually he has a good reputation, was agriculture for a few years, seems to have done a reasonable job on that very difficult front - I heard the PM make mention of beef in Dublin the other day.

Sometimes difference in language can cause difficulties, perhaps a word differently interpreted or a phrase having a different meaning - at least there will be none of that.

I’d expect you’ll see a trade deal done that’ll help everyone and it a very short time frame.

Hmm - so how would that work ?

Was he nominated for example by Varadker ?

That might explain somewhat the rather strange comments made by both of them, if Boris knew about it before the meeting - as I expect he would.

As you know I’m from Construction and have negotiated frequently, with Irish on my side and also on the other side. They are generally speaking bloody good at it !

And several times, after shaking hands, I’ve been tempted to count my fingers afterwards ! :wink: :rofl::rofl:

Aye, it was well signalled that Hogan was in the running, he is a deal maker - is a farmer and you know how those guys can haggle, then a handshake and the deal is done.

Throughout the whole process they never fall out and both parties come away satisfied.

He is already making his mark this evening and he’s not even in the job yet!

(The thing is the DUP are still dead against a NI only backstop after their no.10 meeting today they say the PM will never let them down - hard to tell what’s going on in the background - strange story doing the rounds re a bridge from Scotland to NI, i kid you not.)

That’s the bit where you absolutely KNOW - you had more fingers than that - when you came in ! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Well that and the implementation of said “Agreement” !

Dotted i’s and crossed “t”'s - being absolutely essential.

If people knew - they would reject EU !

“The people of Europe will not be silenced”
"It is time for the EU to practice what it preaches "