Do You Currently Take Less Than 5 Trades Per Day?

If you add an “E” as in ever you will have the complete meaning of my name. And yeah, when I start threads they usually are to elicit particular results. Thanks for your input and feel free to jump back in at any time.

I usually make 2-3 trades/day due to my swing trading strategy, focusing on quality over quantity. It involves analyzing each potential trade thoroughly before acting. Although more trades could speed up learning, it could also increase risks, especially for new traders. It’s vital that your trading frequency aligns with your strategy, risk tolerance, and schedule.

1 Like

I use to trade this way but was bad for me and definitely led to over trading. I also did this a lot when my strategy wasnt super clear to me. I now have nailed a strategy, I never default from my rules and that usually equates to a few good trades a week. That’s all you need

3 Likes

Wow, you look stunning! Your inbox must be filled with messages like Is that really you in your profile picture? Need a mentor or something? You’re rocking the supermodel trader vibes! :joy:

1 Like

I have been at this off and on since 2015/2016 so I still consider myself a newbie but others may disagree.

When I first started trading in the Forex market, I thought that I had to get into multiple trades during multiple sessions everyday but I notied that I was giving it back everything that I won to the market so it was very counter productive and depressing to me.

Today, I never worry about the number of trades I make per day, week or month. It’s most important to look for the ideal setup and enter the trade accordingly. Also I have learned over time how I like to set my Stop Loss and Take Profit that satisfy my needs.

Also the market is dynamic so it’s always changing and the instrument that you trade may change over time due to market conditions so keep an open mind to what you are doing and in trading it’s better to receive than to return :slight_smile:

At the end of the day, I’m happy getting one or two good trades during the week. I’m satisfied because those trades tend to generate enough capital to put a smile on my face for little effort.
Also I have learned to not get mad when I was preparing for a trade and I missed it for whatever reason because on one will catch ever good trade and if they act like they do, plus run from them.

I know just what you mean. Looking as good as you and I do every day is not an accident and it takes some work.
:wink:

2 Likes

I understand what you mean. I don’t feel the exact same way, but I can relate. As for me, I’m quite lazy. Very lazy, in fact.

So, I prefer to trade D1. H4 and faster TFs are too wild for me. Idealistically, if some pairs are related, I could take two or three trades per day, and they’ll last a week or more. They could go up to three months!

I don’t really like being in front of the computer for long. For now, I have to because I’m studying charts. But, my trading shouldn’t take more than two hours (if I’m placing trades). If my trades are running, and I just need to check on them, it’s closer to 30-40 minutes.

@THE_GOATE How much screentime are you getting everyday?

This seems to be written by someone looking to goad newbies into increasing market liquidity. You should never trade based the number of trades you make. That is no way to make money, only give it away to people who are more prepared. It takes time to understand your game plan, the market setups, etc. If you are making 5, 10, 20 trades a day, even with proper risk management, you are losing money. The market doesn’t provide setups that often. Scalpers with ultra-low margins may get away with it, but they are professionals with years/decades of experience. BabyPips is a place for newbies to come learn, not for sharks to come and feed.

The post above this appears to have been written by an infant because it was so infantile. Unlike this person I dont believe my way is the only way to trade or make money. What he is saying here is similar to telling a gardener that because they are not doctors or lawyers their work is not really work. What motive would I have or benefit could I derive by doing what he is accusing me of? When I was in high school many years ago one especially important lesson I learned when taking external exams was to answer what was asked in the exam. I find that a lot of people on here, including this guy, struggle badly with that. They cannot answer a simple straightforward question.

Here’s your answer. 1 - 3 trades per day. When want I do more, I go to one of my other funded accounts. I have never been able to adequately manage my account risk with more. It’s too easy to end up chasing the market.

Now to address the elephant in the room: I know of no trader with less than 3-5 years experience who can scalp successfully shotgunning trades like you mention you do. The markets have a rhythm that newbies can’t feel yet. If it works for you, I applaud your success. However, the facts don’t lie - 87-93% of all accounts lose money. Period. One of the biggest arguments against the retail forex market is the accusation that companies and brokers market to the average Joe just to get them to open an account, knowing there is a significant chance that all they are doing is losing it, i.e. creating liquidity. don’t give the Powers-that-be a reason to take a harder look at forex. While not every trade has to have a winner/loser, the same is not true of small retail traders. Scalping in and out creates a loser - every time. Yet one of the hallmarks of a good trader is the ability to not get caught up in the emotions of trading. Scalping breeds emotional trading in unseasoned traders.

You can take offense at what I said in my original post. But I stand by my words of caution to new traders: Don’t get caught up in rapid-fire trades. You will lose in the long run. The statistics prove it. Be paytient. Learn what works for you and then trade your plan. You say you don’t believe your way is the only way to trade, yet you said, “I find that I enjoy testing my wits/skills against the big bad forex market so much that if I dont do at least 20 in a day I feel disappointed and empty.” Your success, such as it is, sets an example. You don’t caution newbies but rather goad them into trading your strategy. You state, “But as a someone new to forex and testing various strategies etc. how could you be only taking 3 trades per week??? You should be doing 100 plus per day to get your thing right.” If you are talking back-testing, that’s one thing, but you don’t specify back-testing. So I stand by my accusation using your own words - you are using people to fund your own liquidity. Now prove me wrong without calling me “infantile”…

2 Likes

First…because someone responds to something you wrote which is not to your liking does not mean they have taken offense.

I find there are a lot of people like you out there who believe because they personally dont know something means it doesnt exist or is impossible. Pure arrogance.

How do you determine what a good trader is? By your standards? That issue for your information is entirely subjective boss man. I am sure there are traders out there who think swing trading is nonsense in the same way swing traders discredit scalpers. I have seen people here trying to convince me that the process of trading forex is more important than actually winning trades. You reason as if you are with that faction.
You claim that I dont caution newbies but if you took the time to check you would have seen me say on more than one occasion in my posts “Dont try this at home”. Why on earth would I be here trying to goad anybody to trade my strategy? They dont even know what my strategy is. All I am saying is that as a newbie they should be practicing a lot to get their thing right, not doing 3 trades per week.
And if you believe what a non entity like me says can in any way affect the market in the way of liquidity or that I am suggesting people open live accounts and place a hundred trades per day perhaps we are nowhere near as bright as we seem to think.
All that was necessary from the start were the first 3 sentences of what you last posted. No need to try to impress the room.
Yet again another naysayer who cannot produce even demo account results so people can judge their credibility.

No offense, but i wanted to reply @money_honey :expressionless:

lol thanks and yes that’s really me, i’ve got goals!

I’m currently in my 4th day of doing a FTMO challenge, and i do more than 5 trades per day so far.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be too harsh… after all, this is a forum called “Baby Pips”. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

That is correct risking $1 to make $9, but it uses different techniques to everyone else.

1 Like

Your points are well-articulated and I love the facts and logic therein. Trashing a strategy or others who do not take 20 Plus trades, if I am a swing trader, why the hell do I need 20 trades in a day??? I bet people should be more about the psychology of trading rather than being a goat over strategy. If your strategy works, trade it, do not trash mine. One thing I am certain, the GOAT does not trade with a SL and targets small TPs, which for me, is a no, but if it works for them, well and good, we all are here to make money.

1 Like

No one said the loss is equal to the profit, correct the trade selection is extremely accurate, and what if the markets are 95% or 99% noise, then they are not opportunities lost but a ‘cost of business’ which are not absorbed if you eliminate them, a hybrid system is closer.

I have been trying to limit that to even less than that. I follow different volatility indexes daily, and when they cross a certain threshold I am trying to trade more often, because that’s when I get more opportunitiies, more assets tend to move more viciously across the board. When the things are calm, I transform into a calmer trader, wait for my breakouts, learn about my assets, research their spedcifications and basically expand my knowledge about the things I trade.

1 Like

Yes, because I have to mesh my time with suitable volatility. I rarely see more than 5 or 10 daily opportunities in the timeframe I can trade - that have enough movement to justify the risk (after a while the spread and commissions start to take too big a bite if things are slow.)

1 Like