Don't Make Your Personality Adjust to Your Trading Strategy: How This Female Trader Learned Her Lesson

Known for her cheerful personality and intense love for emojis, ria_rose quickly became a ray of sunshine for the BabyPips community. Despite being fairly new to the forums, she has made strong bonds and connections with numerous members, and continues to do so one emoji at a time!

She has shared her journey with the BabyPips community right from the beginning. We were with her as she read through the School of Pipsology (3 TIMES!). Apart from this, on her thread “I’m trying out the HLHB system!,” she’s shared her trading experiences using a system developed by our very own Huck. Although she hit a roadblock using this system, this did not dampen her spirits!

In fact, she’s now back with another attempt at a new strategy on her thread “Long time no see guuuuys! (Ria’s 2nd trading journal attempt!).” It’s her determination and passion to learn forex that pushes her to keep on going despite facing a lot of challenges along the way.

She has been very open about her trading journey, but today, we dig even deeper as we also talk to her about her frustrations and motivations.

P.S. Happy 4th of July to our U.S. readers!

Without further ado, we give you @ria_rose

1. Tell us something about yourself, What are your hobbies and interests, etc.?

I’m a 24 year old from the Philippines. :slight_smile: I’m usually all over the place ‘cause I love trying out new things! Hahaha. But among the things I’ve tried out in the past, I guess it’s cooking and baking that really got me hooked. :slight_smile: I’ve always been a fan of really good food so I do my best to also make good food for my friends and family. :smiley: I hope that, eventually, I’d also be able to share my cooking with more people. :heart:

Oh! I also love watching TV and Netflix series. Haha. :slight_smile: I’m currently watching Chernobyl, and I can see that it’s really worth the hype and historically accurate too! Haha. :slight_smile: I also love the Handmaid’s Tale (although it’s really not for the fainthearted), Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and light and fun things like Friends and The Office. :slight_smile:

2. How were you introduced to forex trading? What were you doing before you discovered forex?

I think I’ve mentioned this a couple of times before :sweat_smile: Haha. But, my uncle initially introduced me to the stock market. It was a lot to take in for me, and I wasn’t sure how to make sense of all the jargon he was talking about :sweat_smile: so he told me to check out Babypips. Hahaha. And I guess you could say it was history from there.

Before that though, I was just working a couple of part-time and freelance jobs while taking care of my grandmother. I had job offers from companies but I decided to work part-time so that I could spend more time with my family. I guess that’s also why forex really appealed to me. The thought of being in control of your time, while earning money at the same time, just sounds so amazing. It’s something that I hope could become my reality. :))

3. In your trading journal entitled, “I’m trying out the HLHB system!,” you shared your experience with the strategy. What do you think was the biggest issue with your execution of the system?

Oooooh. :open_mouth: That’s a tough one! :open_mouth: Disclaimer though, I think that the system’s great! Huck has been bagging them pips with it,and I’m sure it works wonders for some people.

But as for me, I guess the very first (and most important) issue with my execution is that I didn’t really try to understand that it’s a “Trend Catching” system. :thinking: I pushed my luck with it and still tried to use it for ranging markets. Also, I TRIED TO ADJUST MY TRADING PERSONALITY TO FIT MY STRATEGY, when it should be the other way around. Don’t try this at home!! Hahaha.

I thought that it would work for me, just because it seems to be working just fine for other more credible traders. I had to learn the hard way that that’s not really how things work. :confused: You really have to find a system that works for YOU. It doesn’t have to be super famous or perfect since you’re really meant to tweak it along the way.

4. We all know forex trading isn’t a walk in the park. There are surely dips and challenging times, especially for beginners like you. What keeps you going? What motivates you to continue learning?

I think I’ve shared this with the community, but this is a problem that I recently faced. :confused: (And actually, come to think of it, it’s always lurking around the corner. Hahaha.)

You can view it either as a blessing or a curse, but I think I’m fortunate to have been raised with a very optimistic mindset. Of course it’s also great to have experienced traders reassure me, saying that failure is inevitable when you’re still starting out with forex. But, I also just try to remember that people have their own pace. I shouldn’t compare what I’m going through with what others are going through ‘cause their journey is unique.

Taking a break is okay. Resting is not quitting. It’s just getting ready to give it another go.

5. What pairs do you usually trade? Why did you choose these?

Hmm. :confused: I mostly check out the majors because it has been recommended for newbies. :open_mouth: They’re more stable compared to the other pairs (although of course, they still have their moments. :sweat_smile: But outside of the majors, I’ve been watching the charts for NZD/CAD lately. :slight_smile:

6. Could you share with us the proudest moment of your trading journey?

Hmm. :thinking: Each win, regardless of the number of pips, make me happy. :smiley: Haha. But I’d say that my wins using the current strategy with the MAs and chart patterns make me the most proud. :slight_smile: Just thinking that I only relied on myself and my chart analysis to catch the good positions. :slight_smile: Haha.

I know it sounds suuuuper shallow. So sorry about that. :sweat_smile.:

7. If you were to choose 3 BabyPips members you look up to, who would they be and why?

Oh gosh. :open_mouth: Do I really have to choose just 3? But there have been so many amazing people who have helped me here! :open_mouth: Let me break the rules just this time. :sweat_smile: Haha. (OMG so hard. :/)

@anon46773462 is the first person who comes to mind. :slight_smile: He’s been such a big help, even back when I was a complete newbie to this. :smiley: I’m so so lucky that he’s been very patient even though I admit that I could be an airhead at times. :sweat_smile: I just think he’s amazing and I think we’re all lucky to have him around. :blush:

@Falstaff and @tommor and @PipMeHappy:smiley: Haha. Yes, they’re great traders. But these are also the people who have inspired me to really talk about the things that matter to me here. :slight_smile: Talking to them made me realize that this is more than just a trading community, and that you can talk about things that are important to you too. :slight_smile:

Of course @Clint and @Dennis3450 are like pillars of the community so I also respect them a lot! And oh! @dpaterso. :smiley: Haha. :slight_smile: We haven’t really talked much, but I see his replies often and I’m just amazed at the time and effort he gives to really help out other members of the community. :smiley:

I’m sure there are a whole lot more, but in my stay here so far, the members I’ve interacted with have really changed my life for the better. :slight_smile: I love you all! :heart:

8. What is your message to other beginners who are currently just getting to know more about the forex market?

Trust the process. And don’t just think that you know everything there is to know about forex and that you can predict exactly how everything will go. :slight_smile: Finishing the school here, or a Youtube series, or a paid course somewhere is only the tip of the iceberg. :smiley: But that’s what makes it all the more exciting. :blush: Don’t worry! :smiley: You have us to do it with you anyway. :smiley:

9. Non-forex related question! If you could spend a day with a celebrity, who would it be and why?

CHRIS HEMSWORTH. Hahaha. OMG. Am I the only one who thinks he fits the role of a god so well?! I MEAN LOOK AT HIM!

10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Aww. :blush: Hmmm. :thinking: Nothing grand or fancy.

In 10 years, hopefully, I’d be a profitable forex trader, spending most of my time with my own family. :smiley: We live in a simple house in our province with a spacious garden. Haha. I hope that we’d be financially stable then that I would never have to worry about how I’d send my future kids to school and stuff like that. Haha. :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Thanks @ria_rose!

This was a great Q&A! I am sure you will reach those goals!!

KC

7 Likes

Thank you, @ria_rose, for the compliments! Although I have to say, that it is your own drive, open-mindedness, and commitment that has led to your development far more than anything that I might have written!

As you are surely aware, there is a constant stream of newcomers here, but we rarely take time to acknowledge that hardly any of them last very long. You are one of the great exceptions and that is witness to your own persistence and passion for trading that will surely end up with your success in what you are seeking! :smiley:

This is a typical example of your progress through your own objective self-analysis.

Most newcomers (and some oldcomers, come to that) seem to take the line that it is the strategy that is the master and the trader is its servant. When things go wrong they blame the strategy. It is always the strategy’s fault and they find ways to mend it or chuck and put another in its place. But you have recognised that the strategy is only the servant and that the trader is the master - and the only one responsible for the outcome.

Whatever profession we look at there are the right tools, the right clothing, the right rules, etc. But without the personal skills to carry out the work these are just useless artifacts.

As I am sure we have shared before: a good trader can succeed even with a mediocre method - but a poor trader will fail even with the Rolls Royce of strategies. You are looking at all the right things.

These for you from my garden: :kissing_heart:

10 Likes

Congrats kabayan on the well-earned recognition. Cheers to more happiness and prosperity. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice Q & A from @ria_rose, and as always you’ve managed to make it a fun read once again.

Well I’ll tell you just like @anon46773462 said, there aren’t many who stick with this long enough to give themselves a fighting chance at success which is something you have been doing. That puts you in the “most likely to succeed” category lol.

Good luck and hope to see even more of you around :wink:

3 Likes

yes indeed

1 Like

I especially like that her personal favourite actor was and is CHRIS HEMSWORTH cause he is my favourite as well LOL I do not agree a bit about Chernobyl cause it’s something which is not that good in explanation with Western media, all else I liked;)

1 Like

Awww. :blush: I was super anxious about this interview, but I’m sooo happy to know you guys liked it, even though I know it’s not as educational as the others. :sweat_smile: Thank you soooo much @frandlost. :smiley: I super appreciate it. :blush: I hope you reach your goals too! :blush:

1 Like

Awwww. :blush: Those are so beautiful @anon46773462! I bet you have such a beautiful garden. :blush:

I think I would’ve quit a long time ago if it wasn’t for you and your trust in me. :smile: Having someone so wise and helpful by my side really inspired me to keep going too. :smile: And for that, I’ll always be grateful! WHATEVER HAPPENS! :blush: I know that I could be a pain sometimes cause I sometimes let my emotions get the best of me, but thank you for staying patient! :slight_smile:

I’m sure you’re also a blessing to everyone around you, and I hope that someday, we could also meet in person! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you kabayan! :blush: I hope we could also grow together! :blush: I wish you all the best too. :sunny:

1 Like

Awww. :blush: Thank you so much @macilme! Waaaah. You guys are so so nice. :blush: I really hope I succeed so that I could also make you guys proud! :blush: Thank you for the support and I will also always be supporting you. :smiley: Good luck to you too! :smiley: I’m sure you’ll do even more amazing things. :blush:

Hahahaha! :smiley: He’s like a God isn’t he? :smiley: He’s sooooo good-looking. Huhu. :slight_smile: Thank you so much for dropping by my humble interview. :smile: I hope it made you smile somehow and I hope you learned something from it. :sweat_smile:

Lots of smileys. Love it!

Hahaha! :smiley: I actually tried to reduce them for this interview :sweat_smile: Cause I knew that it could be irritating for some people to see that many smileys in one post. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This is great interview. Many useful things can be learnt from experience from other traders. Certainly these kind of posts are very useful reading material for all new traders to understand better Forex market and forces that exist on it