Editing limit?

is there a limit to how many times you can edit a post? or maybe after so many days you cant edit that post anymore?

I’m wondering the same thing.

I just found a couple of errors in one of my recent posts, and then I found that the EDIT feature has been removed.

I make frequent use of that feature — I do a lot of editing, for typos, as well as factual errors.

What’s up with this, Babypips? Please tell us that this editing glitch is a [B]bug,[/B] and not a new policy.

Hey guys,

Nope, not a bug. The editing limit is currently set to 24 hours. Yes, this is new. Part of the reasoning behind the change is related to moderation (that amount of work will decrease in some instances because of the change) and another part is to minimize members from editing old posts for mainly unsavory reasons.

Also, we’re still giving you a full day to “sleep on it”, and you can come back within 24 hours and still make changes to your post if necessary. If a change is über necessary outside of the 24 hours, you can always PM a moderator to have a look. We also hope this change will help members to be “thoughtful” in their responses.

We’ll see how it goes for the time being. It’s a policy we can be flexible about if the need arises. Your feedback is welcome.

Pipstradamus

i like the idea of people being more thoughtful about their responses. i edit my posts a lot so as not to spam i usually just add onto my last post(in my own thread) sometimes i copy and past and delete the old one that way its still bumped with the new info added and people who are following will take a look.

not a big deal for me just a minor inconvenience.

EDIT :D: whoa nvm its a “you can only edit your post within 24hrs” rule isnt it? that will be a major problem for me i can deal with it but id rather not make another post whenever i wanna add something to my trading plan on my thread…i want people to be able to see it first thing. And its a work in progress. i guess ill make do but this sucks for me honestly

We’ll see what we can do for the OP in this instance. Stay tuned.

Pipstradamus

Well, in my opinion, this new policy is a terrible idea.

The “Going Offshore …” thread (click here) — which some of us have put literally hundreds of hours of work into — has to be edited about once a month, in order to remain relevant. That will now be nearly impossible.

A number of other threads which I have started, or contribute to, need to be kept updated, and editing is the only practical method for doing this.

And I’m not the only member who posts time-sensitive material which requires updating in order to stay current.

This is going to stifle certain threads on this Forum, in ways that you have not considered.

good companies ALWAYS find a way to kill off their products.

time and time again.

I noticed I have to be logged in to view pictures and profiles. How is that meaningful if I’m already reading a threads main body? Login to contribute or communicate is fine.

tut!

Thanx for being so considerate u guys are awesome. If I ever become a millionaire it’s your fault :smiley:

Hey Clint,

We’ve increased the editing window to 10 days while we investigate a solution that hopefully benefits everybody. It’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but let’s start there. Thanks for your patience.

Pipstradamus

Good companies are also flexible with their decisions, which we’ve already stated we are above. Your image issue is one related to a recent software fix. We’re aware of the issue and are working to fix that shortly. Thanks for pointing it out.

Pipstradamus

I hope you guys come up with something here as while I see the need for the new policy. I see some very negitive side effects in cases like Clint pointed out. Also ict thread where he edits his first post often to keep his videos and such easy to find after the thread gets long. So maybe an option for the op to edit there posts. I do agree with the policy though as it will make people put more thought into there posts before hitting the post button

Hey Clint,

The posts being continually updated, are they usually the first post in the thread or spread throughout the thread? Do you have more examples that I can look at? Thanks!

Pipstradamus

I have the same problem as bobmanic pointed out. ICT thread is always updated, and the easiest way to find his videos are in the front page.

I have started my own thread aswell, and now having difficulty updating my first page with results or new/updated trading plans.

Looking forward you resolving this issue.

We wanted to let you all know that we are testing a fix that would give the OP indefinite time to edit the first post of a thread. We’d still keep all other posts under the new editing time limit, currently set at 10 days (this could still change). Once we’ve thoroughly tested the fix, and have approved it, we’ll let you know. Thanks for your patience.

Pipstradamus

The "Going Offshore… " thread begins with a long list which we call the Offshore Broker List. This list is spread over [B]three[/B] posts, each of which needs to be updated from time to time.

Being able to edit only the first post in the thread will not be useful.

I have discovered a factual error in one of my posts in the thread titled “The LIBOR Scandal”, which I would like to correct. However, that post pre-dates the changes you have made to the editing protocol, so I’m unable to make the correction.

This new editing policy is very annoying. Please abandon it.

If tracking down and banning trolls is the objective here, please find a more practical and user-friendly way to do it.

Hey Pipstradamus…

I can only speak for myself on this matter, but I have a lot of material coming over the next few months… this OP access on the first post would be essential for me. I hope this is permitted atleast. Clint thanks for bringing this to my attention as I was not aware.

Thanks! :57:

I agree with Clint, the community always helps the moderators to bring spam to your attention, so for me this new rule is pointless and not needed in my opinion.

A lot of forums operate with a time-limit on edits.

Being able to mark the first post as indefinately editable is unusual and should be welcomed warmly. Perhaps it could be coded in such a way that the OP/thread owner could mark other posts in the thread as indefinately editable, or editable for another 24 hour period? This I feel would solve almost all of the issues being put forward by thread contributors.

…or if they wanna keep their 24h rule, moderator’s status should be given to ICT, Clint, and other heavy contributors so they can operate freely…

Not a great update at all.

Please please make the first post okay to edit!

With new members come the very same questions over and over and being able to add to the first page with answers of these questions and update it as new posts are made is essential! Without it a lot of threads will be killed from the good contributors left reading the same questions everyday who will then leave!

Thanks,

Johnathon