Ema Step System

Posts 65-67 answered my questions…Guess I should be patient and read before I ask…Thanks to everybody who has helped out with this thread…I hope I can be of help too later on.

So I finally sat down and went through this whole thread today…wow.

I’m giving this a try with a few of my own ideas added in. I’ll post back if any of my ideas are successes.

Maurizio:
Post 173 was the most helpful one I’ve read yet.(I’ve only made it to 195 so far, reading when I can and studying charts to make sure I get it = lots of time…but it’s well worth it!!!)

I just want to make sure that I understood it right…are the entry and exit signs the same for long AND short…that’s what it looks like, I just want to be positive here…also, on today’s chart (Oanda, USD/JPY, 30 min. chart) at 06:00 NY time on 10-31-08 there was a possible entry candle, (to help you locate the one I’m talking about, the price was around 97.010) the ONLY thing out of place was that it wasn’t very close to the bottom BB, if that trade had been taken you could have gained over 200 pips!

My question is this: Would you have entered that one, or was it too far from the bottom BB line?..I’ve noticed several trades that would have ended up really good, but if I understand the rules correctly, I would have stayed out of them…any clarification there?? :smiley:

Thank you so much for all the work you’ve put into this thread…and a big thanks to everyone else who’s helped out too:D

I tested this on 1 hour chart of 2008’s GBPJPY data. Was winning but not by too much. (doubled up with 5 month worth of data)

Lots of big price movement happened when the stochs are in the oversold/overbought area and there are lots of times the stochs would stay in the oversold/overbought area for extended period.

Overall I like this system and I believe it would work much better with a different charting software because in mine a cross of EMA would usually take 2 or 3 candles to complete (a cross usually happens between candles). it caused lots of confusion and unnecessary waiting. I also think a better set of indicators other than stoch that could filter the entry signal better would greatly enhance the efficiency of the system. IMHO The CCI is a more reliable exit signal than stoch from my very limited experience.

I feel nervous posting this as anytime I post something positive about what I’m doing I for some reason start screwing up (it’s a mental thing), but with this technique I feel I’m better prepared to meet the market on a daily basis.

I use the Stoch, RSI, ema 5 and 2 (FXCM won’t let me set EMA 1), I don’t use the CCI as I feel the other indicators are sufficient (plus R&S lines), even with the ema 2 setting I can enter in a timely manner normally before the cross, I use the cross as the indicator that tells me I"ve entered correctly and if not I punch out immediately.

This is an excellent scalping system, with time you develope your own style/technique with guidance from the system, I feel very successful, even with losing trades, I know there is always another time that I can enter and have a successful trade.

With that said I over trade, but that is another issue I have to overcome, ok I"ve rambled long enough, [B]Thanks for the system[/B] :D, I’m a scalper through and through (now to see if I have the balls to trade this using a mini account in lieu of the micro accountand perhaps upping the leverage)

Ok, this time thing just confuses the crap out of me. On a daily chart does a new candle start at 5:00 am GMT which would make it midnight EST? IS that right? Of, course, I’m CST so that would make it 11:00 pm here. No wonder I can’t trade Forex, I can’t even read a clock…:confused:

Well, if Maurizio is still out there, bravo! I’m starting to demo your system, and I’m really getting the hang of it. broke even yesterday, but today I made 86 pips on two trades and lost 45 on two (but some of that was USDCHF, so it didn’t count as much ;)), so I’m up about 700 dollars. I shall continue my vigilance, and hopefully continue to win.

Well, had a couple losers after my win streak, so I’m only up about 200 now for the week. :frowning: and worse, my stupid landlord was showing the house I’m renting this morning, and I missed the big move on the USDCHF from 9 to 10. That’s 80 pips so far, and probably more, but I can’t enter now in case it turns up again.

Is this thread still alive? Havent seen TS post for a long time already? how’s the progress of this method? anyone using it with good winning ratio?

Hi everyone
I going to try and demo this system but I dont like the charts on Oanda so I will use Oanda for the broker and another chart company to view the set up on.
Does anybody know a chart company with the same time and price bars as Oanda.

This is my first post here at Baby Pips. I have been trading the FX market on and off since 2002. Just thought I would state that so everyone knows I�m not a complete newbie the game. :wink:
I have been dissecting and studing this system for a week now. I have read it all, and created my own Word Doc with Maurizio�s Pics and How To. If any one is wondering if this system works, the answer is yes! If you are willing to study it, and then use what you have studied. Don�t try and reinvent it! It works great in the GY and the EY crosses. That is what caught my eye. I already have a wonderful strategy for E/U cross, and was looking for another to add to my arsenal. :smiley:
If you want a system that never looses, quite trading NOW!
The time-share idea that Maurizio posted is brilliant. Use that and good money management and you should be able to see REAL Results.
Just my two cents, but you know what they say about free advise��.:eek:

Well I’ve been test driving the EMA step for about a week now and I think that I’m starting to get the hang of it. I’ve been 4 wins for 5 trades now and made everything from 1-16 pips per trade. I’m still kind of chicken to let it run any more than that, but previous posts have told me that I’ll get used to running them further as I get more experienced.

Now I’m just looking for feedback from the crowd on this trade. It kind of went sideways on me and I would just like to know if it was that 1 out of 5 losing trades that this system expects or if I misread something here?

It does not show up in the picture accurately, but the CCI was at 102 and on its way down when I entered the trade. I had figured by all three signs having been met (Stochs above 75, price above bolinger band, and CCI over 100) that I was looking at a good short buying opportunity and I entered on the open of the next candle. The market then reversed and I was stopped out for 20 pips.

The groups’ input is greatly appreciated!

Skeebo,

Remember I am not the pro at this system That Others are, but here are some things I see. First you are trading on the day after Christmas, volume will be extremely light, Bad. Second you took a trade late on a Friday morning an a 30 min chart, Bad. Price usually consolidates on Friday as traders close positions for the weekend. Other than that the setup was correct. What did the 1 hr and 3 hr charts look like? If I am taking a trade off the 30 min chart The 1 and 3 hr charts must be looking like they are getting ready to move the same way. On Friday morning, I will look for setups on the 30 min but trade off the 15 min or 5 min chart.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Mike, that’s pretty much what I figured.

Sheesh. They should really post something to that effect in the babypips school. Maybe call it “When to Trade if You Want to Lose Money.”

They could include:

Fridays: Fridays are very unpredictable. This is a good day to trade if you want to lose all the profit you made during the rest of the week.

Holidays: Banks are closed which means very little volume for whatever country is having the holiday. Holidays are great to trade when you would rather lose your money than take a day off and enjoy the other finer things in life.

:wink:

My problem is that I like this system and have had success with it and I’m just dying to try it out again. Alas, I seem to be working all days this week and sadly can only watch the charts at work because my Oanda account won’t load there.

Just one point that I need clarification on. Do we check the trade with lower or higher time frames? I know it was written that when the trade and cross are in conflict you check with and go with the lower time frames (sorry I don’t have the post number, but if needs be for clarification I can dig it up).

I’ve been checking with the lower time frames to confirm my entry. I look to see if the EMAs have crossed in the lower time frames to verify that the trend is going in the right direction. You get in to the trade later, but I found that it is a more solid trade having seen the 2 other indicators.

Seeing I’m still playing with this on my demo account I would like to be corrected if necessary before I go live in a couple of months.

Thanks!

So I guess that this is not the best time to trade, I’ll definitely wait until next year. Happy New Year.

Ok… first time poster, long time LURKER!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have some questions about setting up MetaTrader 4.

First… I have the EMA set up correctly… but the Stochastic Oscillator is a little annoying!

%K Period: 18 then off to the right of that is the something called, Slowing, which is set at 3
Then we have $D: 3
Then to the right of that we have, Price Field: Low/High ?

Below those, to the right is this: MA method: Simple

However you can also click on the drop down box and choose these as well:

Simple
Exponential
Smoothed
and
Linear Weighted

Then at the very bottom are these options:

Fixed minimum and Fixed maximum, which are set to 0 and 100 respectively.

Then we have the CCI settings which are as follows:

Parameters Tab -

Period: 25
Then under that is an option with another drop down window with these options in it: Close, Open, High, Low, Median Price (HL/2), Typical Price (HLC/3), Weighted Close (HLLC/4), Previous Indicator’s Data and finally, First Indicator’s Data

Levels Tab -

First level: -100
Second level: 100

So… which one to choose? No one mentions this! :slight_smile:

Other than that it seems to be working but I would like to make sure that my indicators are all setup properly so that I am maximize my profits… HELLOOOO! lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW… my very first trade on my demo account netted me $270.00 bucks… of course I then lost it all just goofing around with it trying to figure stuff out… but hey… it was a good trade… even if it was just play money! lol

Again, thank you in advance!

MoneyDog :smiley:

Hey Guys!

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you all!!

When people PM me about this, the biggest FAQ i get is exiting a trade.

Have heard many times people getting in a trade, showing an initial profit, price hitting the middle Bollinger Band then reversing…leaving them licking their wounds on a hit stop loss.

Now, what i am about to so say is not a change to the system (before anyone comes in with the “HES CHANGING HIS SYSTEM AGAIN” crap) this is just some advice from one trader to others.

If you are as Skeebo here is and feel ‘chicken’ about staying in or not, why not use lots?

So if you were going to place a trade with a pip value of say $2, open two positions with a pip value of $1 each. Both with the same stops.

When price hits the central Bollinger Band you close one position, and move the stop on the second trade up to your entry point…that way you are out of the trade at a profit and you are now just playing with the markets money, yes your new stop will be hit more times than not, but it’s better to walk away from a trade in positive pips, then minus no? Also don’t forget that sometimes price will plummet, not hit your stop and you will have made more pips AT NO RISK TO YOUR CAPITAL!

I know that alot of people who read this thread will already know what i have just written, because let’s face it this is just simple Trade Management, but i thought i would put it up as if it helps just one more person make a success out of this sytem, then it will be worth it!

Have attached an image to explain a little more clearly.

Brilliant! I know that you said that you are repeating a technique that people might already know, but guess what? I didn’t know that! I always appreciate learning something helpful.

Now that the holidays are finally behind us, the markets will soon resume their “normal” daily activity. As much as I wanted to get in today I sat on the sidelines and watched. Actually I’m glad I did, the market was moving erratically today. I never thought that I would be waiting for Monday to come and Friday’s not even over yet! :smiley:

Sorry to bother though, I still haven’t received an answer on whether or not we check the trade entry timing on an higher or lower time frame?

Thanks!

I have attached a picture from a trade today $/Y.
Am still in this trade, though there is a strong chance it may retrace …the reason?
Because i sold when the daily is in an uptrend.

The way i know this, is because i will always check from thehighest timeframe down to the lowestfor entry.

Once you have entered you then look the other way, from your entry timeframe to the highest timeframe, looking at where the price is wanting to go (this helps in working out targets) remembering that, in the long run, price action is much more reliable the higher the timeframe you go.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Maurizio,

It really helps to see the trades. I have a good grasp of this system I think. I wanted to answer Skeebos question, but i have no idea how to include pics of my trades. Last night was a perfect example. The 3 hr for the EJ was showing signs of being over baught, so I looked for an entry that looked good on a lower time frame (5 min) and entered. It went to the support area and I was out, 142 pip:D
Anyone want to tell me how to post pics of your trades?