European Football back in action!

Anybody in the UK following the EPL drama?

I don’t understand why the players and clubs, at least those at the richest clubs, have a problem cutting wages? I understand the smaller top league teams have finance issues, and so do the lower leagues. But the big boys have money! At least to pay wages of its employees.

What craziness. But still, regardless of wages paid, the EPL is a business. The clubs are businesses. Why not take government assistance IF it’s needed? If you’re going to go bankrupt not doing it, what’s the point?

It’s greed and a sense of entitlement, basically.

Wages and transfer fees are ridiculous. The EPL has multi billion dollar annual contracts. They should be setting some of that aside for the rare situation like this.or get insurance. Wimbledon did it I think every year, for something like this, granted that’s a tournament and not an entire season. But still.

Arsenal is not spared in the drama.

12% is ridiculously low of a wage cut in my opinion.

Interesting news out of the EPL. Newcastle is the target of a takeover bid from MBS’ investment group. A potential USD $380 MM deal, 80% owned by MBS if it happens. Crazy money. Any Newcastle fans out there want to chime in? I’m reading the current billionaire owner hasn’t really made many friends over his ownership period.

Are we going to see football like before until there’s a vaccine available?

Great news to get is back to some normalcy - German football has been given the green light to return! The start date is being discussed, with May 15 and 22nd as possible starts.

Of course it won’t be completely normal - no fans. But at least fans and the public will get some entertainment back.

At last! I look forward to the fans returning to the stadiums to feel the real atmosphere of football!

I am very much excited too. I think there will be 9 weeks of play, with the end of the season right at the end of June.

May 15 it is!

https://sports.yahoo.com/merkel-gives-ahead-bundesliga-resume-mid-may-145018692--sow.html

I really hope this can be done safely without anyone getting infected.

I feel with the team sports and no fans, the exposure pool is limited to team players, staff, and then staff of the stadiums. So limited in some respect.

Of course the teams and players put a lot of trust in the hands of anybody and everybody involved in making a game happen and of course those closets to those people, so family too.

I’m excited for a return of any sports, but still, in the back of my mind, it takes just one person to push over that first domino.

in other news, Serie A may be getting close to a return as well.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/coronavirus-spadafora-serie-a/12r2c9eguzqxn17fg0awqi5it8

Ligue 1 and other French sports were completely cancelled until September, which has some players and fans upset, understandably.

The Premier League is discussing cancelling the season for the first time

And La Liga president says there’s no risk at all, zero, while playing when the league returns, hopefully in June. Okay, sure.

I missed this. EPL back maybe June 1 behind closed doors!

I look forward to the Champions League and EURO 2021!

What’s the word on CL? I haven’t heard much.

I’m a fan of Arsenal too. But what makes me more happy is that the football season has begun. It’s like before the coronavirus and quarantine. I’m watching all the games of the season in one breath. I’m glad that on such forums you can also meet football fans, it’s cool that people share their emotions.

How often will players and staff get tested?

I can’t disagree with you! I’m waiting when Bundesliga continues as Hatiko waits its master) It’s real football, I’ve tried couple times to watch Belorussian league but… I think only real fans of local teams can watch it, though some names of local teams are funny)

My understanding is twice per week, including team players and related staff, and families. There are also many limitations: first team players are separated from substitutes, practices and pregame meals are also segregated among players, players can stay at a team hotel or home, but if home, there are certain restrictions. Stadiums are limted to 300 people total, including teams and staff, journalist, security, etc. For away games, buses are disinfected before and after use. Of course, no fans.

It’s not perfect. Even with twice a week testing, that’s potentially several days of exposure to others if a single person gets infected. But, you’re limiting the spread a bit.

1 Like

Well, only time will tell whether such measures will help.