F*** Boris March

I’m happy with the Fed so far. No trades were stopped today and none were ready for manual exit. Additional positions triggered this pm and tonight after the Fed announcement and I’m now back in the money.

nice.

i was on a good long on WTI since last friday. survived the EIA report of which i hoped will be bullish (it was) just for the fed to ruine it 4 hours later. pulled the trigger before i went back to 0.

hope to reenter long tomorrow or friday.

Yip. Sounds about right.

Only have myself to blame though. Was up almost 1K at the time of the announcement. But didn’t take profit as I’ve been doing the whole month (all three Indices rocketed right into their pivots). Price hung around and then that idiot opened his mouth. And the rest is history.

But I’ll say this (just mentioned it to somebody privately a few minutes ago);

Doing well on a daily basis carries with it a definite sting in the tail. I think I’ve lost money only on three different days (excluding today that is) this last month. I’ve made money every day barring those three days. And there’s the sting right there. You start thinking that you can do no wrong.

The ONLY thing I need to see is how come my beloved ticks never had me go short. The only thing they did at one point was indicate that I should have gotten out earlier (at a smaller loss anyway) but which I chose to ignore of course. Point is: until the markets tanked they were actually indicating to me to stay long. This I need to check.

The above being said: the only early indication that I had that things were going to go pear shaped was the VIX. Now usually I’m constantly clicking between the ticks and the VIX. But tonight for some reason or the other I was fixated on the ticks. By the time I flipped over to the VIX it was already too late (matter of fact it’d already spiked and had started coming down again).

Oh well. Doesn’t matter how I flannel it. A loss is a loss is a loss and that’s all there is to it.

Probably the only thing I did RIGHT today was just close everything out and realize the loss. At least I have learned THAT lesson the hard way before i.e. holding onto a big loss HOPING it’s going to come back to you. Usually: it never does. And things just get worse and worse. Anyways. It is what it is.

So we start again TOMORROW!!!

2 Likes

i really hate all major fed announcements, ecb as well.

2 weeks before the announcement volumes are little, and everything goes flat. then at announcement it goes bonkers and almost impossible to catch.

so any of these “big” anticipaed announcements are nothing but a pain in the ass to me.

the best is to trade in “unanounced” times where nobody says a word and the market just does what it does naturally - find its balance and direction by itself.

1 Like

That’s pretty much what happened.

And I guess I was thinking to myself that these ticks would be the ■■■■ when it came to trading stuff like this. So decided to give it a try (first time). Didn’t help at all. There was not spike up when the initial announcement came out which is frankly what I was expecting because THAT would have been a sure signal to go short. But it never happened. They just stayed at the top of their usual range basically indicating to me that I was right to still be long. Had they spike for sure I would have jumped in short. And would have made a LOT of money too. Didn’t work that way I’m afraid. But the VIX was SPOT ON. As were the other two market internals that I USUALLY watch. But for some reason as I say: I was absolutely fixated on the damn ticks.

Oh well. Nothing is perfect I guess. And some lessons learned AGAIN. Does it EVER stop!!!

1 Like

yeah, i usually dont trade on days of such happenings. but my positiob was a few days old an i hoped it will survive the annoyance. didnt.

the issue with fed and ecb announcements is the press conference half a hour later. the announcement is 99% of times clear and no suprize, but the questions and answers of the chairmen can change things pretty quickly.

30 minutes after fed statement i was good, at 37 minutes it already plummeted (the Press conference starts 30 mins after the statement).

edit: basicly the reason for the drop is that powell made clear that its unlikely that any more easening comming anytime soon, which was hoped for by the markets.

1 Like

Yeh well. The absolute WORST part about all of this:

I have probably about TWENTY posts AT LEAST just in the last three months that say DO NOT TRADE THE NEWS (or related stuff)!!!

But alright: as noted I thought the market internals would be the keys to the kingdom for trading releases like this so gave it a bash. Will not happen again though I’ll tell you that for nothing!!!

1 Like

Yeh. And you want to know what’s funny about THAT:

JUST before he started speaking Bloomberg was busy interviewing somebody (not sure who it was) and the guy ACTUALLY SAID that as long as this dude just sticks on point and doesn’t put his foot in his mouth then everything will be fine but that if he starts “over talking” (whatever word the dude used at the time) well then we’re going to have drama (something along those lines). And just look what happened.

And this is not the first time with this guy either. Matter of fact they’ve been talking about this on Bloomberg now since this happened. People are saying that both this Powell idiot as well as one of the other guys the other day are very careless with their comments and shouldn’t be making them.

And frankly: when I look at this Powell dude I’m actually wondering if he’s got all of his faculties. Not being funny. But watch him carefully and you’ll see what I mean.

1 Like

Trump not happy with Powell right now either!!! LOL!!! Been on his Twitter machine slating the guy!!! LOL!!!

1 Like

here you can watch the FED QaE live every time.

better than bloomberg with their distractions.

i didnt watch it, watched rick and morty on tv- thinking “screw it, if he says something stupid ill see it on the asset price anyways”

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/live-broadcast.htm

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Although I will tell you that it’s never going to feature into my trading again. First time and last time!!! LOL!!!

1 Like

btw i find it funny that trump is so pissed at him constantly, as it was trump who put him on that chair :joy:

2 Likes

Ok Lads - Away and play with yourselves - may or may not come back - Bye !

1 Like

Locking in the post before it gets edited

Well that was interesting - got a “Like” within 1 minute from ‘Mister Germany’ x :rofl:

Was at minute 4 :joy:

And welcome back, you came back much quicker than your post suggested :grin:

Just testing - fool !

Oy. I’m not even out of bed yet and I find this??? Nah. C’mon.

Listen up:

Probably my fault and I apologize. I have a very very nasty habit of late of hijacking threads. Not intentional by any means. Starts out with one off topic by-the-way post and then the next thing and when you look again the thread has become a shadow of its former self.

I apologize profusely.

And I am quite happy to backtrack and move the off topic posts to where they should be. If possible that is (sometimes you can delete stuff and other times not and I’ve never figured out why this is).

Will need cooperation from one or two others though i.e. they need to follow suit otherwise the thread becomes disjointed and the integrity of the thread gets destroyed.

Surely the SNP only has a USP while Scotland is part of the UK? Like UKIP only has a USP while the UK is part of the EU. Which suggests that no matter what any UK government does, the SNP must always fail to achieve independence. Narrowly.

1 Like