F*** Boris March

The media have gone absolutely hysterical with this today. They haven’t had time to gauge the reaction of the broad public. Which should emerge over the next few days and which could very possibly be summed up as just sheer impatience.

I don’t get the impression that many voters think a no-deal Brexit is much much worse than a with-deal Brexit. I don’t think the public think a no-deal Brexit is suicide.

They have a pretty good indication of the Public response though - when Nigel Farage and his super MEPs were elected to form the Biggest single Party in the whole EU - standing on the clear promise of “No Deal Brexit” - just for the sake of clarity.

Now it’s not only the media having kittens - apparently the “EU MEPs!” are trying it on as well ! :wink: :rofl: :sunglasses:

I think you’re absolutely right on that one. The people I know are very calm about the whole “Project Fear” thng - “BRING IT ON” seems to be the general response of those I know.

In fact I don’t even know anyone who is as Rabid as the Remoaner MPs and the London Snowflakes.

Very calm ! - we’ll cope fine ! :smile:

1 Like

Parliament has had 3 years to outlaw a no-deal Brexit and has failed to do that job. If it would really be as catastrophic as the anti-Brexit MP’s say, they must have utterly failed in that public duty.
Or maybe they don’t really believe it will be that bad…

Anyway, even with the prorogation, Parliament still has time to consider a vote of no-confidence, so this seems a long way from being a constitutional crisis and an attack on democracy.

1 Like

Also, it is possible for Parliament to pas an Act very quickly if there is majority agreement to do this.
"The 2017 Northern Ireland Budget Act, for example, passed the House of Commons in one day, the House of Lords in one day, and received royal assent two days later."

An Act to force the PM to ask the EU for an extension to the Brexit time-table would presumably be very simple and as the arguments have all been rehearsed for 3 years now, little time for debate would be needed.

Its perhaps not a bad thing to get hysterical if faced with a matter of life and death, but a no-deal Brexit isn’t this.

Learned a new word this morning.
Prorogue.

1 Like

Apparently HM Queen was impressed too !
z prorogue

1 Like

Parliament is frequently prorogued - it’s part of our system.

Political reasons can be a cause - cf 1948 Atlee Govt and more interestingly 1997 Parliament shut down for 9 weeks ! to deny the House a chance to discuss the “Cash for Questions” scandal - and guess whio did that ?

Why the one and only JOHN MAJOR ! of course !
(Yes the very same one who was “Feathering his nest” with the lovely Edwina Curry )

Video starts at the correct time to hear about that

Sad though when you have to listen to Australian “Sky” to get our own news without the remoaners’ candyfloss outrage !
.isn’t that interesting ? especially in view of his “moral outrage” at the current situation and the pivotal parts he and Ken Clarke played in the ERM disaster of Black Wednesday in 1992 ! :rofl:

No need to head down under - C4’s factcheck is usually reasonable:

“…ministers cannot be called to account each day at the despatch box. There will be no urgent questions, no emergency debates, no ministerial questions, no Prime Minister’s Questions”

Select committees will not be able to sit and scrutinise government planning and decision-making.

There will be no scrutiny of ministers’ negotiations with the EU or of the progress being made with no-deal preparations while both Houses stand prorogued.

Above quotes by Ruth Fox, Hansard Society

Wonder if she is correct in her analysis re “help the government evade parliamentary scrutiny” ?

Edit -perhaps a link to Hansard Soc before any labels become attached:

So Boris reads BP after all, first up he agrees with me for the need for a G Election before Oct 31 and second, more importantly, he is coming to Dublin next Monday with an idea.

What’s his idea?, well if he expands it a little it could well work -

So we have a remoaner Parliament which has purportedly bound Boris to go to the EU and beg for an extension to the 31 October leave date !

Boris says “he would rather be be dead in a ditch” than do that. He says he will not do it and therefore somebody else must. So he is offerring the opposition a General Election to let the proles decide whether to vote him in as Prime Minister or to let Corbyn go, “touch his forelock and genuflect” before the all powerful, unelected and shadowy Commissioners of the EU.

Corbyn is completely terrified that the Labour Party will be very weakened by an Election and is therefore REFUSING to agree to one !

Whoever heard EVER of a Party in Power offering an Election and those who seek Power REFUSING such an opportunity ?? The world is standing on it’s head ! :rofl:

There is some doubt as to whether Boris would actually obey such an instruction. ANd 21 of the conservatuve Party MPs have been ejected from the Party for disobeying the Whip on the vote which Boris said would be a “Vote of Confidence” issue. IF those 21 had voted against the motion - as they should have, the motion Would have been defeated. and Boris’s Plan would still be intact and the will of the People would be progressing in accordance with the results of the Referendum.

It seems fairly clear to me thatif the MPs refuse an Election, knowing full well that Boris will not comply, they will find it quite hard to argue at Law later that Boris was “out of order” in letting the time expire which would mean a Clean Break Brexit automatically came to fruition.

Here is a rather good summary of the situation, historically and also as it is at this critical time.

For learners trying to understand fundamentals it is important to attempt to separate wheat from chaff - that is to help understand a news position as the market understands it.

E.g the current UK PM did indeed comment re dead in a ditch meaning that under no circumstances will he ask the leaders of the 27 for an extension - as UK leader.

The market will watch with interest whether he will defy and break UK law and ‘die in the ditch’ so to speak.

Conversely the British Labour party are not refusing an election, they are however insisting that same be held after the extension request is completed and the current expiry date of Oct 31 is passed. For this reason the market has been buying GBP.

There is great turmoil within the current UK ruling party - in addition to the 21 expelled MP’s as mentioned above the PM’s own brother resigned from the Govt yesterday.

This turmoil has not yet affected Pound buying/selling but could have an influence on the upcoming election result which in turn will impact on GBP.

1 Like

Another bloody march……….do people not have jobs or families??

1 Like

Funniest thing I’ve seen on TV for weeks was Emily Thornberry on Question Time. Anyone see this and roll round on the floor laughing like me?

She is Labour’s Shadow Foreign Secretary so would be expected to have a big role in Brexit negotiations if the Conservatives lost power in a General Election.

She actually had to admit that she would negotiate for the best possible new Brexit deal in Brussels and then come back to Westminster and campaign against it in a new Brexit referendum so that we remain in the EU. Priceless!

And I thought Diane Abbott was useless…

More wheat from chaff - Forexlive reporting that Boris that Boris said this morning: I’ll go to Brussels and get a deal

Their analysis:

The real issue now is that if he does go to Brussels seeking an extension rather than being “dead in a ditch”, why should European leaders grant him one when he has no working majority and no alternative workable solution to get a deal even after an extension?

This shows a lack of understanding - the EU have said at the last extension that they would only countenance a further extension if it was to facilitate a ‘democratic event’ (i.e. election/referendum etc).

There is one ‘workable’ solution that I’ve spoken of before, it’s a deal already agreed with the previous T. May government, still on the EU table but was never put to Westmisinster.

I agree. I think we’ve seen the best and only good deal - Theresa May’s deal.
And that deal of course was itself a very bad deal.

There is no realistic likelihood of any PM, of any party, no matter how large their majority, going to the EU and getting a better deal.

Well… actually it isn’t that deal - the one that got turned down 3 times in Westminister.

There was another more straightforward deal agreed earlier, in many peoples opinion a better deal - there was no backstop, GB was clear of the EU and the ECJ, it included trade, citizens rights, access to the EU finance market by UK banks. There were some technical wrinkles to be sorted so they agreed an ‘implemation’ period - I think it was around 18 months.

That deal was never put to Parliament - for reasons that may not be valid following the upcoming election.

Will post a link later

1 Like

Ok, the deal I’m speaking of was agreed on Dec 4th 2017 - that was on a Monday.

There was no backstop, otherwise the deal was the usual boring stuff if anyone is bored enough to read, which I doubt.

The above deal which everyone knows about came on the following Friday (Dec 8th 2017, it was a quick fix and experience teaches that quick fixes seldom last.

So what happened the Monday agreement and what could be different in the scenario that Boris envisages post the next election?

This report from the Guardian on Tuesday morning Dec 5th 2017 - that agreement is def still on the table.

I saw a clip of something where Diane Abbott was “debating” Jordan Peterson - only brief but one of the comments was "Putting Diane Abbott up against Jordan Peterson is like trying to extinguish the Sun with a potato !"

I didn’t see QT - I rarely bother with it nowadays - but here is a commetarry on it from a bright lad ;

Interesting to see the (usually very “remoan orientated”) audiences sympathies switching sides !

1 Like

Work and Pensions Secretary has resigned from the Govt, also from the Tory party.

She was in N.Ireland last week, she interacted with ordinary people, not politicians and not DUP, she was the first minister from the present UK government to do so.

Whatever she witnessed or whoever she spoke to she felt the need to write to Boris this evening:

"I joined your cabinet in good faith: accepting that ‘no deal’ had to be on the table, because it was the means by which we would have the best chance of achieving a new deal to leave on 31st October.

However I no longer believe leaving with a deal is the Government’s main objective.

The Government is expending a lot of energy to prepare for no deal but I have not seen the same level of intensity go into our talks with the European Union who have asked us to present alternative arrangements to the Irish Backstop."

1 Like