Forex Education - How long does it take?

Hi, Guys, you know, I got basic education of forex trading and real couple of books and watched some sort of YouTube videos. So, those are the ways I learned forex, I thought I understand now forex trading. But while using demo account I found I need to learn more, because many things here are not clear to me. I want to ask you how long I have to learn forex? Is there any method so I can learn whole forex trading in 3 or 4 months?

10 Likes

I think learning is the thing you need to do all along with your forex adventure. You can’t complete learning. The more your know about forex, the more you realize that you still need to learn more. Just the idea. :smiley:

11 Likes

Take my advice with a grain of salt because I have been studying for 2 years and still haven’t placed a real money trade. What I found out is that there are a lot of skills needed to trade Forex.

First, you need to find trade setups. This can be based on price action, indicators, fundamentals, a wide variety of things.

Second, you need to figure out what entry technique you want to use. This could be based on indicators, price action patterns like double tops or bottoms, Fibonacci ratios, support/resistance levels, psychological numbers, basically, whatever you want.

Third, you need to figure out how you will exit your trades. This could be based on many of the same things as entry techniques or you could have a rule that says you have to get flat at the end of your trading day.

Fourth, you need to learn to manage your money so you don’t go broke.

Finally, you need to take all that stuff that you learned and build your trading plan. Once your trading plan is built, then you need to test it with historical data to confirm that you have a postiive expectancy. Once you have the historical test done, you need to demo trade it to make sure you can execute the plan under real market conditions.

Once all of that work is done, you can then fund your account and start trading for real. So to answer the question of how long to get to trading real money under just one strategy is however long you can do all of that. Oh, and once that process is done, you get to start it all over again with a different strategy as a trader should have multiple strategies tailored for different market conditions.

Or you can do what 90% of traders do and just dive right in…

32 Likes

They say the average is 3 to 5 years.

Ive been trading currencies for almost 10 years and ive made a ton of progress but the struggle continues.

It takes years, not months.

Happy trading to you

16 Likes

I do agree, there is no ending of learning in here. We have to continue learning process until the end of time, otherwise we could fall a great trouble. That’s why a great patience first of all we need.

6 Likes

It takes as long as it takes. Some people learn in less than a year, some require several years, sometimes even more to learn. Different people have different learning curves. That said, trading is something that is learned by practice. The more you trade (on a demo account, if you are a total newbie, obviously), the faster you’ll learn.

9 Likes

Some discord I have. Demo trading I appreciate that, but it’s not a learning source exactly , it’s a part of real practicing trade, of course it’s possible to learn by current trading but new forex traders should choose preschool level for learning and after that for practicing demo account is more appropriate.

2 Likes

Of course preschool education is must . They need top learn all from the beginning. Demo trading is also a way of learning but first they should read about this market and trading, Demo will be much helpful to improve their learning. It is a practical way to know how trading is done. This practice may take several months.

1 Like

Exact message. Thank you. But so many traders are lose interest to continue demo for several months, they trade here just for few days and that’s why don’t get better result from here.

1 Like

The traders who think demo is useless they can trade in micro account. I used to micro account when I was a newbie. Lost my balance many times but really acquired real trading experience that is better than demo experience.

5 Likes

May be not, because 3-4 months isn’t enough! You have to learn technical and fundamental analysis with details! You need to make the ability to read trading chart according to your knowledge ad experience, I seem it takes more than one year!

3 Likes

Thank you very much. @jseymour84. Appreciate for your response and I will definitely follow those steps. Thank you all, you guys are so much helpful. I am feeling very lucky.

1 Like

@jseymour84, oh my goodness. 2 years. I am now sure I am going exactly that way. Same thing I found that there is a lot of skills I need to learn to execute profitable trading. Now I am thinking why I did not start to learn 2-3 years ago. Why somebody did not tell me about forex trading and get myself in it. And trade setups, this is very much harder for me I found. I am telling you again because you tell the truth and its matching with my condition.

1 Like

Yes, it is. I can’t complete forex learning. It is not like school exam to pass and complete books. It seems I can only go with the flow or quit everything and seek for other business. Now I am little bit hesitating. I think I need encouragement and hope.

Anyone can learn to trade Forex. It’s not easy, but it is possible. Swing by my journal thread and read through the posts there and you will see some of the challenges that I face. The only way to guarantee failure is to quit.

One basic trade setup you can start with is to add a 10 period SMA and a 20 period SMA to your chart. When the 10 period crosses from under to above the 20 period then you have a buy signal as an uptrend is potentially coming. When the inverse happens, ie, the 20 period goes from below to above the 10 period, that would be a signal that a potential downtrend is coming.

Open a demo account and trade that on the 5 minute chart.

Also go through the School section here, lots of great info and it even has a basic trading strategy for you to follow in it.

8 Likes

Thank you jse for your nice post. I always prefer live account with small balance instead of demo , because newcomers don’t believe the importance of this trading place. Micro account + preschool level= better result as a newcomer.

I’m here from 2011, but till now I feel know nothing about Forex! Learning, it’s a continuous process! There is no ending point of it! So, there is no fixed answer for you but no doubt, it’s a long-long session.

How long does it take to learn chess?
You can learn the moves in a day. You can play a game in an hour or less.
How long does it take to get good at chess? You could spend your whole life playing in tournaments and fail to earn a title. You could start when you’re 5 and become a GM at 12.

How long does it take to learn music? How long does it take to learn medicine?

Hopefully you can see the gulf between ‘learning’ and mastery, and it depends on what you want to achieve, surely.

7 Likes

2011-2017 it’s really a big deal according to me , I admit there is no ending of learning . but you passed a long time which is really appropriate learn most powerful trading knowledge by learning.

1 Like

Yes, it’s all about 5-6 years and many ups and downs.