FREE - FX News Alert application

I created a simple alert many moons ago and have used it every day, all day since.

I just wanted something that I could open and forget, then get alerts when events occur.

My FX journey began in the BabyPips school, so as a way to say thanks and to give something back I re-skinned the app to make it look pretty and offer it for free with no registration, no obligation and I look forward to any feedback and/or suggestions. (It’s only for Windows I’m afraid)

Overview of features

Set alarm time
Filter events
Change timezone
Select your own sound(s)
Email alert
Widget mode
View weekly events
Quickly reference FX news sites
Session indicator

Here’s a screenshot:

I registered a website for the download: fx news alert

2 Likes

Nice, I like it! :smiley: Only thing is that it takes ages to download - unless that’s just me…

@PureMuscle
Sorry for the late reply.

The download is 5.3MB, so it shouldn’t take too long, but that depends on your internet conn.

Thanks a lot :), makes it easier then loading up the forex factory calender everyday.

nice app…

I got virus warning from VirusTotal and Prevx

@yunny1

In another forum, other people also mentioned the same security issues, i.e. their AV programs were flagging the app as malware.

The only reason i can think of is that the app checks my website for auxiliary info for the app to run, such as calendar link & version number; this connection to the web may be seen by AV as some sort of attack as it requests asynchronous data.

Another possibility is that the install includes a file called [AxInterop.WMPLib.dll], which allows the user to import their own sound files, it’s just a media player plug-in but Win 7 probably has hissy fits about any dll import, as it’s too security concious.

A solution another user posted is to disable their AV, install the app and re-enable their AV software.

Let me know how you get on.

p.s. do you use high security settings in your AV?

Just found this post in the other thread:

“[I]For some reason the new version 1.4.1, initiates a “malware detected” alarm on my antivirus software and won’t let me download it.[/I]” posted by stevetwo

My question is how the AV knows it’s malware without the user having downloaded and installed the app?

Some AV’s are crappy and perhaps my website was too new so it was flagged as malware. Some AV’s don’t like new websites that appear on the interweb, they prefer some history to validate authenticity.

Every file I download I check it with VirusTotal Multiengine

It identified the virus trojan.refroso and my antivirus (PrevX) also popped up an alert

If the program is clean you should contact the antivirus companies, so they don’t flag your software…

Did some further investigation and I narrowed down the culprit.

I used two 3rd party tools; first one obfuscated the code and the second is most likely the reason for virus’ been flagged. It converts the MSI to an EXE.

When i ran a bare bones version through these virus sites, it came up clean.

Just trying to reassure people that the app itself is clean, but that converter thingy maybe suspicious.

Found the problem…

I’ve uploaded a default app installer (there are no modifications to the app itself); download the latest version from the homepage.

Before, I used a 3rd party tool to convert the MSI to an EXE, because peeps are more familiar with EXE’s. It seems the tool I used was adding suspicious scripts onto the core build and users like yunny1, were informing me that the app was getting flagged with virus’.

This install is now clean as it’s the core MSI file with no fluff attached and you can check for yourself here.

You should check out the new iOS app: Forex Eagle. Its the only the only forex alert app that sends you push notifications whenever price moves by a certain amount or percentage set by the user. It does this for 10 major currency pairs. There is no other forex alert app that has such a capability. It is a must-have tool for active traders. Also there is no need to create user accounts and passwords. Just install, set your alert preferences, and you are good to go.

If you’re going to spam, then atleast post a link.

Babypips.com does not let you post a link unless you have more than 5 posts.
I have tried to post the link below. Please prefix https:// and paste it into a browser.

Thanks for the link reninfapps, looks good; apologies if my verbiage sounded terse.

Did you develop the app?

I think theres too many boxes for user input, would it not be better to have just one box for momentum?

Hi FiatFap, Thanks for the feedback. Yes, this app is my first attempt at iOS app development. This app notifies you when ever bid/ask moves by a certain value or percentage (as specified by the user) in a certain direction. I figured such a functionality would be useful for traders.
I wanted to keep value and percentage specifications separate. And since there are two prices for any currency pair (bid and ask), I had to provide a section for each. I look at BID to measure upward price movement and ASK for downward price movement. That’s why you see four sections for each currency pair.
In each section, you can track multiple values / percentages. For e.g. you may want to get alerted whenever EUR/USD bid moves up 0.001 and whenever it moves up 0.005. Hence there are many boxes in each section.
Please let me know if you have questions, or suggestions to improve the interface.

How do you handle different timeframe momentums?

For example, monthly momentum will be greater than 1 min momentum, so do you incorporate a multiplier?

Also, do you calculate momentum between bid/ask or use previous candles price?

If you could save the bid/ask spread, that would be valuable info as it shows where banks widen spread to sniff orders and thus shows interesting price points.

How you don’t mind the questions, but your app could have potential.

How do you get metatrader price feeds into your app? Do you have a mobile metatrader running in the background on the iPhone and you poll price every x secs?

nice to have other person dedicated with news alert. I already download ur software. And thank u so much FiatFap :slight_smile:

But i know other person here that workin just like u, the name matripon.
See his profile:
http://forums.babypips.com/members/matripon.html

And this is his website:
fxSheed

Lets have healthy competition with him. I will see the news development growing much better and better here :slight_smile:

Thanks spidypips.