FXCM Announcements

Hi DaTrader,

I wanted to post an update regarding your question. Now in addition to trading the US dollar basket, anyone with a live account on our Trading Station platform (including US residents) can trade our new currency baskets for the Euro, Japanese yen, British pound and Australian dollar.

Currency baskets are a great way to express your trade opinion on a single currency without having to choose a specific currency pair. For example, if you feel bullish on the Japanese yen, you can buy the JPY basket. If you feel bearish on the Euro, you can sell the EUR basket.

To trade our new currency baskets follow the steps below:

[B][ol]
[li]Log into the Mirror Trader platform using your existing Trading Station username and password.
[/li]

[li]Click on the Basket tab on the platform.
[/li]

[li]Select the basket and direction you want to trade, and click on the Open -> button. In this example, I am bearish on the Euro, so I chose “EUR Basket - Sell”.
[/li]

[li]Select your trade size from the window that pops up and click Open.
[/li]

[/ol][/B]

After opening a currency basket trade, you can monitor it on either the Mirror Trading platform or Trading Station.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Jason

Below are the holiday trading hours for CFDs in July. Forex trading hours are as normal.

All times above are in GMT.

Just a reminder: this Thursday is the Independence Day holiday in the US. I will be out of the office for the rest of the week, but will respond to any questions you post, when I return on Monday, July 8th.

If you require immediate assistance, you can call FXCM’s live customer service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week using one of our international toll-free numbers.

FXCM US has introduced a feature called Smart Margin designed to notify you in advance of margin calls, which can give you more time to take action to potentially avoid them. This replaces the old setup where your trades would immediately be liquidated the moment your account fell below the 2% margin level required by US regulations to open forex trades.

How does the Smart Margin Watcher work?

The Smart Margin Watcher is based on two important levels: Initial/Maintenance, and Liquidation Margin. If your account equity falls below this level you will receive a Margin Warning at which point you will no longer be able to place new trades.

Initial/Maintenance Margin

This is the amount that is required to open a new position. It is also the minimum amount required to maintain your open positions.

Liquidation Margin

If your account falls to the Liquidation Margin level, all of your open positions will be liquidated immediately even though you may be in the three day grace period offered by the Maintenance Margin Warning.

How is margin represented in the Accounts window?

[ul]
[li][Equity] is the “floating” value of funds in the account, including profits and losses on open positions.[/li]***

[li][Usd Mr] is Used Margin, the Liquidation Margin Level.[/li]***

[li][Usbl Mr] is Usable Margin. All positions are automatically liquidated when this reaches zero.[/li]***

[li][Usbl Mr %] is [Usbl MR]/[Equity] X 100%. As above, all positions are automatically liquidated when this reaches zero.[/li]***

[li][Usd Maint Mr] is the Usable Margin, the level when a Maintenance Margin Warning is issued.[/li]***

[li][Usbl Maint Mr] is Usable Maintenance Margin. This is the margin deposit available for opening new positions. A Maintenance Margin Warning is triggered when this reaches zero.[/li]***

[li][Usbl Maint Mr %] is [Usbl Maint Mr]/[Equity] X 100%. As above, a Maintenance Margin Warning is triggered when this reaches zero.[/li]***

[li][MC] The letters in the “MC” column denote the status of the margin call:[/ul]
[/li]“N” means there is sufficient Maintenance Margin.
“W” means a Maintenance Margin Warning has been issued.
“Y” means a Margin Call has been issued and positions have been liquidated due to insufficient margin.

When will a Margin Warning or a Margin Call be issued?

If your usable maintenance margin is exhausted, your account locks. Meaning, you can’t open trades until you have usable maintenance margin again; you can only close trades. You’ll be notified when this happens via the Trading Station.

What are my options after I receive a Margin Warning?

[ol]
[li]You can close a losing trade so that it stops draining margin from your account, giving you the opportunity to improve your margin level overtime from the returns on your profitable trades.[/li]***

[li]You can deposit funds into your account; and if time is of the essence, debit card deposits are probably your best option since those deposits are credited the quickest.[/li]***

[li]Finally, you can opt to do nothing. You might think that the market is going to turn around and that your losing trades are going to recover their losses. But do not forget, if your trades do not improve and your equity falls below the liquidation margin requirement or if your equity simply remains below the maintenance margin requirement for three days or more, a margin call will occur.
[/li][/ol]

How do I enable Smart Margin on my account?

Smart Margin is enabled by default on new FXCM US accounts. Accounts opened prior to June 14, 2013 may enable the Smart Margin feature by logging into MYFXCM.com and selecting “Change-Margin Request”. Similarly, you can disable the feature via MyFXCM.com if you prefer the old setup. Smart Margin Watcher is only available on FXCM US Trading Station accounts at this time.

No matter what you do, Smart Margin gives you more options, and usually more time, to manage your losing trades. You can visit the FXCM US website for more information on Smart Margin including specific examples.

I wanted to follow up my post from last week about Smart Margin with a specific example of how it works. To recap, Smart Margin provides FXCM US clients with more flexibility in meeting the 2% margin required on forex trades by CFTC regulations.

Under the old setup, trades were liquidated once an account fell below the 2% margin requirement, but now with Smart Margin, if your account falls below the 2% initial margin requirement, your trades will not immediately be liquidated. Instead, you will have 3 days to bring your account back above the 2% initial margin requirement. Your trades would only be liquidated in the interim, if your account fell even further to drop below the 1% liquidation margin level.

[B]1. For example, let’s suppose the following:[/B]

[ul]
[li]Your account equity is $2,000.00.
[/li][li]You place a long 10K EUR/USD position, requiring $300.00 in initial margin. Note, up-to-date rates can be found in the MMR column of the Simple Dealing Rates Window.
[/li][li]Your liquidation margin (Usd Mr) is set at $150.00.
[/li][/ul]

[B]2. If your account equity falls to $500[/B], that leaves you with $200.00 in Usable Maintenance Margin. While that’s not enough to open another 10K EUR/USD position (since that would require at least $300 in Usable Maintenance Margin), you still have enough Usable Maintenance Margin to open a smaller position if you wanted.

[B]3. If your account equity falls to $300[/B], your Usable Maintenance Margin will fall to 0, and you will receive a Margin Warning. When a Margin Warning is initiated you will see a “W” in the MC column on the trading station and you will not be able to place any additional trades.

Once you receive a Margin Warning, you will have approximately three days after 17:00 on the day of the Warning to bring your equity back above your Used Maintenance Margin Requirement of USD 300.00 (also thought of as bringing your Usable Maintenance Margin back above 0). Keep in mind that if at any time your Usable Maintenance Margin falls to 0 again, you will receive another Maintenance Margin Warning and the process will begin again.

[B]SUI30 will be closed for trading on Thursday[/B], August 1st for Swiss National Day.

All other CFDs and forex will trade as normal.

[B]ITA40 will be closed for trading on Thursday[/B], August 15th for Assumption Day.

Titian’s [I]Assunta[/I]

[B]UK100 will be closed for trading on Monday[/B], August 26th for the Summer Bank Holiday in England.

HI Jason
Don’t know if this is proper place to put this question.Im wondering i got imac will the trading station work on imac? If not do u think that you will eventually?

Hi Sandyhill,

This works just as good as any other place, and I’m happy to help.

Trading Station desktop is a Windows based program so it won’t run on a Mac. But there are a couple of options for you to use Trading Station on your Mac.

1. Trading Station Web does not require a download and will work on just about any browser. Here’s where you can find it on our website Trading Station Web - Online Forex Trading Platform @ FXCM

2. I know some traders have used programs such as Parallels on their Mac to run Trading Station desktop. Parallels lets you run Windows based applications on a Mac. If you do go this route, our tech support team may not be able to provide as much help since the platform is not intended to run this way.

Hope it helps.

Jason

Thanks Jason

Monday is a bank holiday in the US which means a change to rollover and certain CFD trading hours.

[B]1. Rollover:[/B] There will be 5x rollover for all TRY (Turkish Lira) pairs and 4x rollover for all other pairs today. On Friday there is 0 rollover for all pairs. This information is always available on the DailyFX Monthly Rollover Calendar.

[B]2. CFD Holiday Hours:[/B] Below are the trading hours for CFD’s which are impacted by the holiday on Monday September 2. This schedule is representative of our intended hours. Should market conditions dictate, we will deviate from this schedule.

There are no changes to forex trading hours. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

A new version of our mobile platform has been released for iPhone, iPad and Android devices. It should update on most devices automatically, but to confirm you have the latest version (1.7.083013) you can look at the bottom of the login screen. One of the new features added to this version is the ability to deposit funds to your account directly from your mobile device. You can make a mobile deposit by following the steps below.

[B]1. Tap the menu button at the top left to bring up menu options on the left-hand side and select “Deposit Funds”[/B]

[B]2. Complete the funding details on the deposit form and submit[/B]

HKG33 trading will be closed on October 1st for Hong Kong’s National Day and on the 14th for the Chung Yeung Festival.

This weekend the clocks in Australia go ahead one hour for Daylight Savings Time. That means starting October 6th, the daily trading hours for AUS200 will be from 22:50 to 20:00 GMT with a midday break from 05:30 to 06:10.

A new version of Trading Station Desktop is now available. There will eventually be an automatic update for all users, but today you have the opportunity to download the new Trading Station ahead of time directly from our website. You will be able to retain your current platform settings (charts, layouts, etc.) when you install the new version of the platform.

Here are some highlights of the new features that have been added:

[ul]
[li]Simplified Email Alerts
[/li][li]New Chart Views - Kagi, Renko and Point & Figure
[/li][li]Stop and Limit Values in Base Currency (not available for US accounts due to FIFO regulations)
[/li][/ul]

We would love to get your feedback on the new version of Trading Station Desktop. As an added incentive we’re giving away a free copy of the StrongWeak App from FXCMapps.com ($99 value).

To be eligible for the free drawing, please email your feedback to techsupport (at) fxcm.com with the subject “Beta Update Feedback” by 12:00 pm EDT this Friday.

FXCM has now completed a full rollout of the NinjaTrader platform. Additionally, qualified users can sign up to receive a free software license for the platform.

You can get NinjaTrader for free by opening an FXCM account with $5000 or more, and then trading at least 500k per month in round turn notional volume. If you already have a single broker NinjaTrader license and simply want to add FXCM, contact us at <[email protected]> for special instructions.

On Sunday, October 27th at 01:00 GMT, the clocks in Europe will go back one hour, because of the end of Summer Time. Below are the CFD trading hours that will be in effect starting next week. Changes are highlighted in yellow.

Have a great weekend! For those of you in Europe it’s an hour longer :smiley:

This coming Sunday, November 3rd, the clocks in the US will go back one hour, because of the end of Daylight Savings Time. That means the trading hours for forex and some CFDs will change in terms of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Below are the trading hours that will be in effect starting next week. Changes are highlighted in red.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

Below are the holiday trading hours for CFDs in November. Forex trading hours are as normal. Times below are in EST (GMT -5)