FXCM/DailyFX Signals and Analysis

Hi Devendra,

Thanks for reading!

EUR/USD positioning has pulled back slightly, but still net short overall. Below is a screenshot of the latest SSI release from about 2 hours ago in DailyFX PLUS.

For those not familiar with how to read SSI, the index is measuring the number of long positions to short positions. If total positioning is net long, the figure will be positive. If total positioning is net short, the figure will be negative. Looking at EUR/USD as an example, a positioning of -1.25 means that there are 1.25 traders short for every 1 long. Looking at USD/JPY, it tells you that there are 9.32 traders long for every 1 short. Check out the PDF guide in my previous post for a more detailed FAQ on SSI.

Dear Jason.
I believe that the data is real.
I also understand the principle of the SSI, which is smart strategy indeed.
My concern is that given the market size I doubt that 13-16billion in transactions will move the price at all.

[I]“According to the Bank for International Settlements, as of April 2010, average daily turnover in global foreign exchange markets is estimated at $3.98 trillion, a growth of approximately 20% over the $3.21 trillion daily volume as of April 2007. Some firms specializing on foreign exchange market had put the average daily turnover in excess of US$4 trillion.”[/I]

According to academic research (Contemporary Corporate Finance McGugan/Kretlow/Moyer 11th edition p.35) Retail traders would account for approx 20% of the total transactions. so $3.21trillion/0.2=642 billions. With 16bilions in FXCM transactions (given that all your clients are retail by CFTC standards) - you guys control approx 2% of the market. It is indeed impressive but I would imagine that it has got very little if any impact on the spot or futures prices.
Numbers are always very persuasive to me.But please correct me if my logic is wrong.I might get that all wrong at the same time.
Wouldn’t be more reliable to consider “non-reportable” by CFTC standards as a total retail part of the exchange market?
And then build contrary, behavioural strategy based on their trading patterns?

Best Regards

Jason
When I think about this again I guess that your database would indeed work as a good quality[B] sample[/B] of the retail traders population. I suppose that given that all retail traders behave the same way, your books can indeed reflect that perfectly.
Assuming obviously that the rest of the population follows the same pattern, which I think does.
So SSI could be a reflection of the retail and serve as a contrary indicator. Althrough would not impact the price itself.

Regards

Great discussion here and very happy to have you on the thread.

I agree with you that retail volume is small enough to where it likely will not impact market price. In the latest quarterly report from Forex Magnates, the total retail volume was estimated to be around 217 billion per day. Compare that to 3.9 trillion as a whole for the FX market, and retail makes up about 5%. Rather than looking at whether these traders can move the market, it’s more important to look at their trading patterns. Of course SSI is not perfect, and retail traders tend to get market direction correct when volatility drops.

[U][B]An interview with John Kicklighter[/B][/U]

[B]•This week happens to be a relatively busy week of US economic data releases that includes the GDP report, an interest rate decision, home sales data and the durable goods report. What do you feel will be the one or two most important events and themes to pay attention to for the week and for the rest of January?[/B]

All of the economic data that is scheduled for release through the immediate future will play a role in shaping expectations for the relative health of the United States – an important consideration when there is a very real threat of recession for many of its most prominent counterparts. However, most individual indicators (like the housing data, durable goods orders and for that matter, probably even next week’s NFPs) will not significantly alter the larger consensus trend. The exception is the first reading of 4Q GDP. This figure can confirm or deny the market consensus, and catching market participants off guard on a big theme like this is a rare enough event that its impact is leveraged. Tapping the more elemental consideration of risk/reward, the FOMC decision could also be a market mover as it will offer a better framework for further stimulus and the eventual withdrawal of easy money. This particular meeting is a unique event as they will start producing interest rate forecasts along with their updates on growth and policy bearings. These are the known and definitive considerations. Real impact potential though comes from the unknown – speculation of QE3 and progress on the most recent ‘hope revival’ for the euro.

[B]•The EUR/USD has now broken above the 1.30 level this week in trading. Do you feel the EUR/USD can sustain this momentum at these levels and perhaps ascend higher?[/B]

From a purely fundamental perspective, I think the euro has no business posting a meaningful advance. That said, this isn’t an academically-based fundamental world. Sentiment determines when a currency needs to be repriced. That being said, the market will itself to be caught up in the hope that additional stimulus is coming through for the Euro-area and that the Greek situation will be reconciled because the short-side is temporarily oversaturated. Though not a full representation of the spot market (due to difference in market depth and participation) the COT report of net speculative interest in Euro futures set a record level of shorts through the week ending Tuesday. Often, when we reach these extremes, it is a sign that one side of the market has been exhausted and a correction would be easier to facilitate. Given the depths the euro has plunged on an exchange rate and futures positioning basis, a bigger rebound wouldn’t be too hard to facilitate.

[B]•Seeing the CFTC futures speculators data showed that specs were still very euro-bearish last week, do you feel we could perhaps see a change in sentiment (a bottom reached and/or a short squeeze?)?

[/B]The CFTC’s Commitment of Traders report measures open positions to the Tuesday of that week. Therefore, the record net short exposure reading that we were given was not representative of the big Euro rally on Wednesday and Thursday. There is a good chance that exposure will see a correction with the next reading to account for the recent change in EURUSD’s bearing (even if it is temporary). That said, a quick reversal (in either price or extreme positioning) doesn’t necessarily guarantee a larger trend reversal. It’s important to remember in these times that there are corrections in larger trends.

[B]•What do feel is propelling the AUD/USD and the NZD/USD higher at this point? They are now respectively trading at their highest levels since October. Despite the AUD and NZD’s correlation to risk, these two pairs have largely avoided the euro’s slide of the last few months.[/B]

The euro itself is not a good representation of risk. We have seen the correlation between EURUSD and the S&P 500 (my favored gauge for risk appetite) deteriorate significantly over the past week. Anything can be a catalyst for broader risk aversion, but it doesn’t guarantee that everything and anything will do it. Through the euro’s recent slide, we have seen demand for equities slowly but steadily chop higher to five month highs. It is this acceptance of risk and appetite for higher yield that is encouraging capital to flow over to the higher yielding currencies.

[B]•The USD/JPY has been trading in a relatively tight range since the beginning of the new year roughly between 76.50 and 77.50. Do you see any catalyst upcoming that might be able to allow a breakout of this range? Likely more of the same sideways action?[/B]

The US dollar and Japanese yen are frustratingly, evenly matched as safe havens – that is in tolerable market conditions (should the very stability of the world’s financial markets come into question, capital will move over to the US dollar and its Treasuries, no questions asked). With volatility behind risk trends smoothing out, the need to favor a particular low-yield and deep-market currency diminishes significantly. Clearly, a crisis of global proportions could encourage a shift to the safety of the US market. In the absence of that overwhelming catalyst, we still have the possibility of BoJ intervention (though it seems they are looking at both EURJPY and USDJPY for inspiration).

[B]•As we have entered a new year, do you have any predictions for winners or losers over the first half of the year in terms of specific currencies and trends? Any other markets you feel may have a bearing on the major currencies?[/B]

Given the heights equities (and exposure to risk in general) have marched to, a bigger correction in long-risk exposure is highly probable. That means, high yield currencies, equities, speculative commodities, and high-yield paper are at risk of a deep correction. And, if all come under significant enough pressure at the same time, we could possibly see the funding markets freeze up; which is a crisis unto itself. In a regular risk aversion scenario, we can see the US dollar and Japanese yen advance for currencies while government paper and money markets for the US, UK, Germany and Japan swell. After such a down leg, we could see one of two scenarios. A short-term downdraft would see the Fed or some other equally dedicated policy authority step in with an artificial booster in the form of stimulus. Otherwise, a longer deleveraging would eventually flag and send too much capital to the sidelines – and the void would eventually need to be filled so market participants can make money and possibly take advantage of considerable discounts (after a meaningful reduction in cost).

[I]Source: Analyst Interview: John Kicklighter on Whether the EURUSD Rally Lasts | DailyFX[/I]

I would aslo add that commercials traders now hold 80% of the euro futures open interest in long positions. Open interest on Euro FX accounts for over 310,000! .This is unprecedented level in this market. This HAS NEVER happened before.The rate that commercials adding longs is dropping since the New Year. Its hard to say how many more sellers are left to short euro, but i am guessing not many. Once this unfold large speculators start to unleash the beast triggering stops,margin calls and all sort. Euro will go up big time. All will fly from US bond into Europe again. If we see any defaults in Europe (Greece) I would also arguee that it will be bullish for Euro long run.

We shall see.
Always walk opposite the rest and never listen to talking heads on CNBC.

Regards GFS

Written by David Song

[B]DJ FXCM Dollar Index[/B]

The Dow Jones-FXCM U.S. Dollar Index (Ticker: USDollar) is 0.36 percent higher from the open after moving 91 percent of its average true range, and the bullish divergence in the 30-minute relative strength index instills a bullish outlook for the greenback as it breaks out of the downward trending channel from earlier this month. In turn, the rebound from 9,837 should continue to gather pace, but the reserve currency may face whipsaw-like price action later today as the Federal Open Market Committee interest rate decision takes center stage. Beyond the rate decision, the first batch of interest rate forecast will be closely watched across the financial market, but the Fed’s fundamental assessment of the world’s largest economy may play a greater role in driving price action as investors weigh the prospects for future policy.

DJ FXCM Dollar Index

As we look for a higher high in the USDOLLAR, the FOMC rate decision could pave the way for a major rally in the reserve currency as the more robust recovery dampens the central banks scope to push through another large-scale asset purchase program. As economic activity gradually gathers pace, we anticipate the Fed to strike an improved outlook for the region, and the central bank may continue to soften its dovish tone for monetary policy as the risk of a double-dip recession subside. However, Chairman Ben Bernanke may keep the door open to further expand the balance sheet in light of the ongoing weakness in the housing market, and the USD may come under pressure should the committee float the idea of purchasing mortgage-backed securities (MBS) to stimulate home purchases.

The greenback rallied against all four components on Wednesday, led by a 0.75 percent decline in the Japanese Yen, and the low-yielding currency may weaken further over the near-term as market participants increase bets for a currency intervention. As the Bank of Japan refrains from taking additional steps to shore up the ailing economy, there’s speculation that the Ministry of Finance will once again step into the FX market to stimulate growth, but Japanese policy makers may put additional pressure on the central bank to further expand its asset purchase program as the fundamental outlook for the region deteriorates. As BoJ Governor Masaaki Shirakawa continues to highlight the threatens of a stronger Yen, speculation for another currency intervention will certainly be a major theme in 2012, and the central bank may have little choice but to expand its balance sheet further as it lowers its growth forecast for the world’s third-largest economy.

The FOMC announcement crushed the dollar so it looks like all bets on dollar strength are off for now. Watch out for Chairman Bernanke’s press conference at 2:15pm ET.

Bernanke is my hero!
Why people like this have jobs like his.
My 5 years old knows more about economics than Ben.

Written by Michael Boutros

The Japanese yen is the top performing currency against a stronger dollar in early North American trade with an advance of 0.38% on the session. Risk appetite is back on the defensive today as Greek PSI talks continue to break down with European and US equities in the red at the start of trade in New York. Classic risk on flows are in effect with the dollar and the yen outperforming their major counterparts as investors jettisoned higher yielding assets for the relative safety of the reserve currency. Economic data out of the US this morning was mixed with December personal income posting its largest advance in nine months with a read of 0.5%, topping expectations for a print of 0.4%. Personal spending however was flat as households upped savings amid uncertainty about the domestic economy. When adjusted for inflation, spending contracted by 0.1% in December halting a three month advance discretionary spending.

The USD/JPY broke below the 100% Fibonacci extension taken from the December 22 and November 25th crests at 76.60 before finding solace around 76.40. Interim support is eyed at the 123.6% extension at 76.20 with subsequent downside targets held at the 76-figure and the 161.8% extension at 75.60. Interim resistance holds at 76.60 backed by 76.80 and the 76.4% extension at the 77-handle. As the pair moves lower look for increased rhetoric out of Japanese officials to cool the yen’s appreciation with yen advances likely to remain tempered on concerns over further central bank intervention. The Japanese economic docket sees a flurry of data on tap overnight with the December jobless rate, household spending, industrial production, and housing starts highlighting the calendar.

Source: Classic Haven Flows Fuel Dollar Rally- Yentervention Concerns Rise | DailyFX

EUR/CHF

David Rodriguez posted a screenshot of EUR/CHF SSI to his twitter feed showing just how extreme positioning has become as we near the 1.2000 level. The area I circled at the bottom right of the chart shows how much long positioning has increased over the past month as we wait for the Swiss National Bank to defend this level. USD/JPY traders were rewarded last October when the BOJ intervened and traders are now hoping for the same with EUR/CHF.

Written by Joel Kruger of DailyFX.com

Medium-term technical studies point to more Euro weakness in Coming Months

A closer look at the longer-term chart shows the market locked in a well defined downtrend since posting record highs just over 1.6000 back in 2008. An initial low was recorded in October 2008 by 1.2330, followed by a lower top at 1.5145 in November 2009, a lower low at 1.1875 in June 2010 and the latest anticipated lower top by 1.4940 in April 2011. The failure to move higher in 2011 opens the door for the current downside extension which should ultimately look to retest and eventually break below the 1.1875, June 2010 lows. This would confirm the next lower top at 1.4940 and potentially point towards a deeper drop towards 1.1500.

As such, our outlook for the first half of 2012 is predominantly bearish while the market adheres to the broader underlying downtrend, and we would expect to see a move towards 1.1875 at a minimum before considering the potential for any meaningful recovery. In the interim, any rallies should therefore continue to be very well capped, with overbought short-term rallies viewed as compelling opportunities to look to build on short positions. Ultimately, only a 2-week close back above 1.3500 would bring this outlook into question and give reason for concern.

Source: http://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/article/special_report/2012/02/01/euro_forecast_for_2012.html

Written by David Song of DailyFX

[B]Euro: Germany Prepares To Vote On Bailout, ECB To Preserve Dovish Tone[/B]

The Euro climbed to an overnight high of 1.3287 as European policy makers prepare to release the EUR 130B rescue package for Greece, and the single currency may appreciate further during the North American trade as the development fuels risk-taking behavior. Indeed, Germany said it may vote on the bailout package as soon as next week according to a spokesman for the Christian Democratic Union, while the deputy CEO of the European Financial Stability Facility said the fund will probably play a role in the Greek PSI as the European Central Bank refuses to take a haircut on its Greek debt holdings.

As talks on the debt-swap deal are expected to resume in Paris tomorrow, positive developments coming out of the meeting is likely to increase the appeal of the single currency, but the European Central Bank interest rate decision could pave the way for a short-term reversal in the EUR/USD as we expect President Mario Draghi to maintain a dovish tone for monetary policy. As the euro-area slips back into recession, the ECB may talk up speculation for additional monetary support, and the Governing Council may see scope to push the benchmark interest rate below 1.00% as subdued growth dampens the outlook for inflation. At the same time, Mr. Draghi may encourage commercial banks to take advantage of the second three-year loan facility on tap for the end of the month, and we may see the central bank carry its easing cycle into the second-half of the year as the fundamental outlook for the region remains bleak. As the EUR/USD struggles to push above the 100-Day SMA at 1.3340, we should see the exchange rate consolidate ahead of the ECB rate decision, but the euro-dollar could face a sharp selloff if the central bank surprises the market with a 25bp rate cut.

[B]British Pound: BoE To Expand QE, 38.2% Fib To Serve As Support[/B]

The British Pound pared the rally to 1.5928 as market participants expect the Bank of England to boost the Asset Purchase Facility beyond the GBP 275B target, and the sterling may face additional headwinds on Thursday should the central bank keep the door open to expand its balance sheet further. According to a Bloomberg News survey, 49 of the 50 economists polled see the BoE increasing the AFP by at least GBP 50B in order to shore up the ailing economy, but the central bank may see scope to expand monetary policy further over the coming months as the Monetary Policy Committee continues to see a risk of undershooting the 2% target for inflation. In turn, the GBP/USD may have put in a near-term top following the failed run at the 200-Day SMA (1.5944), and should see the exchange rate fall back towards the 38.2% Fibonacci retracement from the 2009 low to high around 1.5730-50 to test for support.

[B]U.S. Dollar: Index Eyes November Low, RSI Holds Above Oversold Territory[/B]

The greenback remained under pressure on Thursday, with the Dow Jones-FXCM U.S. Dollar Index (Ticker: USDOLLAR) slipping to a low of 9,672, and the reserve currency may continue to trade heavy during the North American trade as the U.S. equity market opens higher. As the rise in risk-taking behavior gathers pace, we may see the USDOLLAR make a run at the November low (9,665), but the index looks poised for a rebound as the relative strength index continues to hold above 30. As the benchmark equity indices come off of their highs, a shift in risk sentiment could pave the way for a near-term in the USD, and the reserve currency may track higher during the remainder of the week should the ECB and BoE rate decisions spur a flight to safety.

[I]Source: [I]http://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/daily_briefing/session_briefing/us_open/2012/02/08/Euro_Rally_At_Risk_Sterling_To_Falter_On_More_QE.html[/I][/I]

[B]Written by DailyFX Analyst David Rodriguez[/B]

EURUSD – Retail forex trading crowds have remained aggressively net-short the Euro against the US Dollar since the pair broke above $1.2700, and the fact that crowds continue to sell gives us consistent signal that the pair may yet head higher. Total short positions rose 12.3% from last week, while longs are down a similar 13.3%.

Our Speculative Sentiment Index ratio stands at -1.93 as there are 1.93 traders short for every long (approximately two-thirds of all traders are short). As long as traders remain so aggressively bearish we will continue to watch for further highs.

There seems to be little in the way of Euro technical resistance until the 61.8% Fibonacci retracement of the 1.4250-1.2620 decline at 1.3620 as well as significant highs near 1.3550. Traders might also watch how the EURUSD reacts around the 100-day SMA at 1.3330.

[I]Source: http://www.dailyfx.com/technical_analysis/sentiment/?technicalSentiment=EUR/USD[/I]

I think this is the permament end of this downtrend. Its time to unwind those shorts.

Euro FX
EUR/USD
Date 09/02/2012
Total Open Interest 283,223
Net Marginal Change -5,434
Change in Total OI (%) -10.369

Euro dropped further 5,434 transactions. The total decrease since the 25th Jan accounts for 32,127 contracts. Euro’s open interest is now over 10% smaller than a month ago. This signals that many shorts are now being stopped out. Traders covering their short positions are putting upwards pressure on the price.
There is a 100% negative correlation between approx.10% drop in open interest in Euro market and the trend reversal. The ratio in euro options market remains over 57% - in favour of higher prices. Historically, euro spot price tends to reverse around rollover in option market and dropping open interest. Both dynamics are in place this time. The spot price is climbing higher despite negative outlook in Europe. Strategy – buy EUR/USD on corrections.

I agree with you GFX. There’s also a little hint that AUD/USD longs may be starting to unwind their positions as well.

We’re starting to see a moderate unwinding of short positions from about 65% of positions in EUR/USD being short to about 56% as of the last reading this afternoon.

Regarding forex volatility, this from DailyFX…

[B]Volatility expectations trade near their lowest levels since the onset of the financial crisis in 2008. Such extremely low levels favor slow trends and tight currency trading ranges until further notice.[/B]

During periods of low volatility, range trading strategies tend to perform better so it’s no surprise that the range strategy indication is starting to appear this week for a few more currency pairs. Here’s the list from DailyFX:

David Rodriguez’s full volatility article for this week can be found here http://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/article/weekly_strategy_outlook/2012/02/13/forex_us_dollar_forecast_market_volatility.html

Volatility expectations trade near their lowest levels since the onset of the financial crisis in 2008. Such extremely low levels favor slow trends and tight currency trading ranges until further notice.

ATR for EUR/CHF around 30. USD/JPY was around the same a couple weeks ago but has since moved up to the low 40’s. I can’t recollect ranges being as tight across the board as they are now.

[B]Written by David Song[/B]

[B]Euro: Germany Softens Support For Greek Bailout, ECB Sees Negative GDP In 2012[/B]

The Euro slipped to a fresh monthly low of 1.2973 as German policy makers softened their support for Greece’s second bailout package, and the growing rift within the EU may continue to drag on the exchange rate as the heightening risk for contagion weighs on investor confidence. At the same time, the European Central Bank monthly report noted an economic contraction for 2012, with the new figures projecting a 0.1% decline in gross domestic product, and the single currency remains primed to face additional headwinds over the near-term as the fundamental outlook for the euro-area turns increasingly bleak.
As the ECB prepares to push through its second three-year loan facility at the end of the month, it seems as though the Governing Council will preserve a wait-and-see approach throughout the first-quarter, but central bank Mario Draghi may show an increased willingness to push the benchmark interest rate below 1.00% as the slowing recovery in the euro-area dampens the outlook for inflation. According to Credit Suisse overnight index swaps, market participants see a 60% chance for a 25bp rate cut at the next meeting on March 8, and speculation for lower borrowing costs supports our bearish outlook for the EUR/USD as interest rate expectations falter. As the EUR/USD carves out a top in February, the single currency should continue to give back the advance from earlier this year, and we may see the pair make a run at the 23.6% Fibonacci retracement from the 2009 high from the 2010 low around 1.2630-50 as it searches for support.

[B]British Pound: U.K. Assets Get Treated As Safe-Haven, Outlook Hinges On BoE[/B]

In contrast with its European counterpart, the British Pound pared the overnight decline to 1.5654, and the sterling may continue to outperform as market participants appear to be treating the U.K. currency as a safe haven. Although Moody’s lower Britain’s credit rating outlook to negative, the ongoing turmoil in the euro-area appears to be spurring demands for the sterling, and the pound may move to the beat of its own drum as the U.K. remains ahead of the curve in addressing its budget deficit. However, as the Bank of England maintains a cautious tone for the region, speculation for more quantitative easing hampers the outlook for the sterling, and we may see the GBP/USD track within a broad range as market participants weigh the prospects for future policy. As the GBP/USD continues to hold above the weekly low (1.5644), we may see the pair consolidate going into the end of the week, and the pound-dollar may track sideways in the days ahead as the exchange rate remains capped by the 200-Day SMA at 1.5923.

[B]U.S. Dollar: Economic Activity Gradually Gathers Pace, Risk Appetite Resurfaces[/B]

The greenback continued to appreciate against its major counterparts, with the Dow Jones-FXCM U.S. Dollar Index (Ticker: USDOLLAR) advancing to an overnight high of 9,879, but the reserve currency is struggle to hold its ground during the North American trade as risk appetite flows back into the currency market. Indeed, the more robust recovery in the labor market paired with the gradual rise in private sector activity appears to be fueling risk-taking behavior, and we may see the dollar consolidate going into the end of the week as the slew of positive developments coming of the world’s largest economy instills an improved outlook for future growth. Although the shift in market sentiment dampened demands for the reserve currency, we should see the Federal Reserve continue to soften its dovish tone for monetary policy as the risk of a double-dip recession subsides.

[I]Source: Euro Outlook Deteriorates Amid EU Rift, Pound Takes Safe-Haven Role | DailyFX[/I]