GBP/NZD moving slow today? Why?

Sat with USoil and GBPCAD charts in front of me for last few hours lol.

In again, Position #4, Long at 2.3795

Iā€™m long 2.3807 hoping for the evening retrace that Iā€™ve fallen foul to a couple of times when being greedy

I hope your position size is not too big if you are averaging down in such small pip distancesā€¦

Mike

Out at 3880 looking to jump in again if it dips.

When I enter my first position on this pair, I already have in mind that I may enter additional positions if the trade starts going against me. This is one reason I use a position size smaller than normal. Another reason is so that I can absorb several 100ā€™s of pips movement against me without sweating too much.

I keep about 100 pips distance between positions. The distance between position #1 at 2.4090 to position #4 at 2.3795 is 395 pips. I donā€™t think Iā€™m spacing them too closely.

Since 19-August, Iā€™ve averaged down a trade using multiple positions on this pair 3 times. All 3 times I exited the trades with more than 200 pips profit. I donā€™t usually average down positions, but this pair has shown a great deal of volatility.

My exit strategy on this trade is to get to around 2.4050 and then exit positions #1 and #2 for break even (#1 would be -50 pips, #2 about +50 pips). At this point, #3 will be at +150 pips and #4 at +250 pips. I will then set stop losses of about 100 pips on each position to lock in pips. I did something similar on a 4 position trade between 19-Aug to 25-Aug.

Now all I need is for the price to cooperate and go up!!!

Hector

i think the next target for the pair is 2.35 and most likely the move up is very limited.

I just remembered that your first 2 positions were 20 pips away from each otherā€¦i also did this averaging down and most of the time it worked wellā€¦

I was only thinking that on a volatile pair like this one i would average only every 200-300 pipsā€¦

Thanks for your detailed explanationā€¦interestingā€¦

Mike

My first 2 positions were 85 pips apart. You may be thinking about eddieb in the ā€œBalls of Steelā€ thread who entered a second position in GBP/AUD about 25 pips apart. Itā€™s working out very good for him as his trade has moved up over 100 pips.

Sure, itā€™s possible. But I think that it is more likely to hit a good support at 2.3700 if it continues to go down. Then I hope it will bounce up and go to 2.4000 and beyond.

If 2.3700 does not hold, then the next support level is at 2.3400. I hope it does not go this low but I accept the possibility of that event.

its good to bear in mind the counter move,
however, wish you all the best.

Yes, you are rightā€¦seems that i read the numbers wrongā€¦sorry for thatā€¦

GBP/NZD made a good move up shortly after the NFP report and I closed out all of my positions. Positions #1, 2, and 3 sold at 2.4069. Position #4 sold at 2.4000.

Position 1: -21 pips
Position 2: +64 pips
Position 3: +174 pips
Position 4: +203 pips

Total: +420 pips

Iā€™m glad to be out for the weekend with a nice profit. For several hours it tried but failed to break 2.3980. I almost sold off at this price, which would have still netted me a good +130 pips. As I write this, I see that it has broken 2.4000 but canā€™t hold above this level. It could still rally all the way to 2.4200 today.

No more trading for this week for me. Good luck to everyone. (eddieb, well done on your GBP/AUD)

Great result!
Nice to see this back over 2.40, Iā€™m still in.
Have a good weekend

Good result Yohec!

NFP was not a huge number, so it was really anybodyā€™s guess how the market was to reactā€¦ Thankfully for us, GBP/NZD reacted with a three-hundred-pip rally to the upside :slight_smile:

Is the large gap down indicative of bearish sentiment?

Same on GbpAud but its bouncing back up again

Indeed it is:

Will it break?

Possibly, but without momentum it will be unlikely to carry on much further: with the liquidity drain brought about by the ā€˜US Labor Dayā€™ holiday today, and with the RBNZ rate decision only two days away, we would best apply a hands-off approach until this event has come to pass.

Happy trading week everyone.

Impressive, but how long can it last? I am nearly at breakeven,but would not be expecting further gains until we can be sure that on Wednesday night the RBNZ will cut rates by 0.25% as forecast by economistsā€¦