Has Anyone Actually Met a Successful Forex Trader in Real Life?

LOL
you belong in the era of the Sparta, I think they were into that sort of thing.
anyway, what happened to myth Busters?
You keep going off track, yesterday you were making a reality series about Hobo and Buffet, today you are soul searching, finding your inner self, LOL

Ohhhh yehhhhā€¦ Gerard Butler in 300ā€¦ That one only lasted a few weeks though.

Well I am going to re do the myth busters thing because someone had a good idea that Iā€™m going to doā€¦ I just have to change me EAs up a bit.

Cool
For episode two maybe you can look into the one about halving risk after every loss.
If there is an episode 2.

There will beā€¦ I just need to get back on Ritalin to get my ADD under control :wink:

Now who would said you have ADD?
People say the most awful things

Join the clubā€¦everyone wants that perfect combination, lots of money and a very satisfying social calenderā€¦gay, bi or hetro, in the end, we are all in the quest for the big $$$$$

i can ā€¦hopefully from bangloreā€¦

I met a forex trader last month. He was in his 50s cleaning toilets. I hope it wasnā€™t an omen. :15:

Maybe he was just looking to do some Philanthropic work and give back to the communityā€¦

Or they were the NYSE toilets and he was deep undercover scouting for insights.

Wellā€¦ I have working in banks as a trader for about 22 years. I guess I made some money otherwise I would not be there.
In this long career, I can not remember having seen ā€œmarket makersā€ making any money without the help of orders and client business. ā€œmarket makingā€ without any business is a lost cause. There is too much parameters against you on the long term.

Prop trading or flow trading, 2 different kind of animals do make money.

It is alot easier to make money in a big bank with a lot of flow and business.

Flow traders calling themselve prop trader is not too complicatedā€¦ when you work for big franchisesā€¦ you see a chunk of the market and you can quicjly identify who s doing what in terms of customers ( the good ones and the bad ones). When you
see funds coming roughly in the same time and start to hit a pairā€¦ it s not too difficult to figure out where the market is going to go for the next few hoursā€¦ Same thing happening when you see some centrtal banks coming and trade or leave orders.

It s much more difficult to trade on your own and as a private trader than in an institution.

I did trade on a discretionary basis for about 14 yearsā€¦

My conclusion: It is difficult to control your emotions every single day of the year. You do make mistake and try to learn from them. Everyday is a new dayā€¦ and your life is affected by so many thingsā€¦ that it s almost impossible to be effective every day. The only problemā€¦ you only find it when the action is over and you analyse your trading day.

That s the reason that I move to purely systematic trading. All the experience I build up during those years, I tried to code it and so far so good. I feel more relax and my figures are better than before and I am still employed.

1 Like

Hi Everyone, I have read this thread and can tell you that some people are successful. I can say this as I am one of them. The reason I say that Iā€™m successful is that I have a consistent profit rate that far outstrips inflation, and I donā€™t have to sit in front of the computer all day long to get it! I have worked with a friend of mine over the last 3 years and weā€™ve developed 3 strategies that are different, and that operate on the same account. This helps increase profitability while reducing drawdown, as the strategies are different. There is a 4th one we are going to set to work in the next month or so. I do have a day job, as my account is not yet at a stage where I can live off it, and also the day job allows me to invest each month, meaning each month I work, I am shaving off far more than a month in terms of the years I still have to have the day job! My advice to people, which is largely what is said here:

1. Educate yourself, and most importantly ask yourself if a strategy/indicator makes sense or not.
  2. Use experiences OUTSIDE of FOREX to create new strategies. Look towards how nature solves problems and the psychology of people for example.
  3. Find out what actually drives the markets, and capitalise on that.
  4. Donā€™t be pessimistic that if a person is making money off FOREX that they would not bother to post in this forum!
  5. Focus on a strategy that on average brings in more profit than loss, and during periods of loss, does not blow your account. There are no holy grails as the number of factors influencing the FOREX market is VAST.

If you are in any doubt at all that Iā€™m simply blowing smoke, Iā€™d be happy to E-mail you my account statement!

1 Like

I have never understood why so many on here assume that no profitable trader would ever post on a forum. Why would they be any less interested in chatting to others with a shared interest than losing traders? If anything, a successful trader has more time on his/her hands.

1 Like

Poor people just canā€™t imagine the possibility that having lots of money doesnā€™t translate into a life of non-stop excitement and adventure. and it is kind of sad, because it is likely this same glorified view of wealth that injects unnecessary fear&greed into their trading regimens.

Lol, sad but quite possibly true.

I could have not written it better :slight_smile:

He sounds overqualified for a forex trader.

I met one in a trading games. He is really a very good trader. I competed against him almost 5 times in a 1on1 challenge game and I lost. If you want a challenge with him- his nick name is Felix there

Depends on your definition of a successful trader. Is it one with boatloads of cash? Then no I have never personally met one. Is it a business man who trades goods for cash? Yes I am personally very good friends with a couple of them. Or is it a forex trader who has never blown up a single account be it live or demo? Yes its the man in the mirror as Jonnykanoo stated.