Have you tried investing in crypto projects?

What do you think about investing in crypto startups?
Is it worthy or in your opinion it’s easier to trade “classic” cryptocurrencies like ETH or BTC?

You mean like in ICOs?

Yes. I mean now they’re very popular among people and even professional investors, but there are so many of them that’s it’s vert hard to find something worthy to join in

The majority of those (ICOs) have been a quick-cash-grab-scams. That’s why I wouldn’t risk it.
So much relies on fate, wide-adoption and FOMO that I feel like it would be better to go out and buy lottery scratch cards.

1 Like

got your opinion!
Agree that most icos just want money, with now product and service to develop. Unfortunately

Although the idea of startups seems exciting :sweat_smile: I prefer to stick to the “classics” (as you called them) since they’re already established. :smiley: There are a lot of new coins popping out of nowhere and like what bradley said, a lot of them are just scams and the like. :frowning: :confounded:

Like with any other speculative instruments many will make money and many more will lose money. I own a tiny bit of BTC and ETH. Probably should have sold it at the highs for a 400-500% profit but did not, too much hassle getting in and out of the ledger s wallet and transferring back to exchange etc, …lol

I sincerely have no idea where the cryptos are heading other then down right now. So maybe not the best time to get involved imho.

They’re actually on their way back up atm.
I’ve got no issue with being a long time holder but i’d rather see the levels back around the 1,4k usd for ETH and 150$ for NEO :slight_smile:
Also a 14k BTC would be nice :smiley:

I believe 20k for Bitcoin would be very nice as well)
And what about new unknown startups that launch their coins? Have you ever tried buying them?

The same actually.
Now the market experiences downsides, but I hope it will recover soon.
And what’s your opinion on investing in yet unknown coins/tokens?

I think I have commented on Cryto before but here is a great Podcast for both sides of the Crypto argument. I personally have no Crypto investments. 1. Volatility is high, Crypto has lost over 50% of its value since December, on the same token it was in a bull trend with 90% of the value happening within 6 months. That’s just crazy. 2. It is a system built on secrecy, which means it is easy to discredit and newer technology will usurp it, the proof of work system is unsustainable due to its power wastage. 3. It is limited in supply, this is complete problem for monetary expansion so this cannot be government endorsed as real currency.

In short block chain is not new, the concept has been around since the 80’s. In any case the Etherium smart contracts probably are more adaptable for derivative markets. ICO’s are making mainly Eastern investors a lot of cash as they are the first on to the technology, Russia and China are the forerunners.

Anyway listen to this if you are thinking about joining the train. I personally need to see a part centralised system for me to even show an interest.

https://www.theinvestorspodcast.com/episodes/tip185-bitcoin-debate-with-tuur-demeester-erik-townsend/

I didn’t invest in crypto currencies. And I think it’s too late to invest in bitcoin it was necessary to invest money in bitcoin in 2010, and now it is meaningless. The only benefit from bitcoin is the block chain system that is very useful in many areas of business. For example as replacement for SWIFT. But I do not believe in the creators of the new cryptоs, which basically accumulate critical mass of money and burst like bubbles. Investing money in them is pointless.

I am ever invest on BTC, for years ago, first look very promising when BTC value was arise up, but when occur fall value, I am too late to sell BTC when on high price then become low price again, BTC and another crypto currency fall because some country restricted to using bitcoin as currency, due supposed for ilegal activity like as terorism

Not for me, but if it interests you and you research what is launching no different to ipo in stocks really ?

Great and meaningful comment, thanks for sharing with us.
Actually I’m kinda surprised to hear about Russia as the forerunners of ICO staff.
I thought that it’s mostly Asian innovation, so to say.

Yes, surely. The market is extremely volatile - probably in some years it becomes more stable, who knows.
Still for those seeking for speculative profit - quite fast - crypto may be a way out. ( but not now:)

What you’ve said totally makes sense regarding all those hundreds projects that collect money and run away:)
Also I feel the same - blockchain & crypto got confused with each other. I mean blockchain technology is no doubt great and promising, especially in security, financing, data storage.

Well, yes - the issues of regulation haven’t been settles yet - and that’s why different problems appear.
I think that when the countries agree on the status of crypto and introduce according laws the market will become more stable

I am also ever hear rumor like as china will possible to created own crypto although apparently they restricted usage bitcoin, because blockchain tehnology still promising for future digital currency, now if we look on coinmarketcap, there re thousand altcoin was created

1 Like

Like Venezuela created one “el Petro”.
Who knows, maybe China will do that as well, though now they are very tough about crypto and tokensales things.
Yes now on the market there are hundreds of coins and tokens, which obviously says that this mechanism of crowdfunding is in demand

ICOs are comparable in certain respects to IPOs (initial public offerings) in that they are used a way to raise capital for a business.

A huge distinction though is that in an IPO, an investor, you receive shares in the company, actual equity.

In an ICO, you receive NO equity at all. Zip. Nada. No ending up like Bezos or Zuck for you.

All you get is the cryptocurrency (or digital token) that the company is issuing in the ICO.

If you buy ICO tokens, you are not an investor. You are basically a future customer for a software product/service that does not (in most cases) even exist yet.

It’s like an arcade shop owner asking you to buy tokens to use at his arcade that hasn’t been built yet or is still under construction.

You end up spending money now and holding onto tokens that can only be used at this specific arcade that hasn’t even opened yet with absolutely no assurance that you’ll even like the games they will offer!

It’s the same thing with an ICO. You spend money now on a product/service that may be provided later with absolutely no assurance about the quality of the product/service.

And to top it all off, the company who is doing the ICO gets to keep all the equity and (potential) profits once they’re up and running…if they get up and running.

Lastly, according to a survey from Bitcoin.com, 46% of all ICOs in 2017 either flopped at the funding stage or have gone out of business since launch. The survey went on to say that a further 13% are currently labeled as “semi-failed.”

1 Like