Having difficulty winning trades

Hey guys, all my trades have been ending in me losing money since recently. I have been studying material from July and I feel like all I have been learning is not working.

7 Likes

We all have a run of bad luck sometimes. Any good strategy can have a run of losing trades, its statistically unavoidable.

Why do your trades keep losing money? There are only 2 basic reasons -

• entering too early (buying when prices are still falling / selling while prices are still rising)
  • exiting too early (e.g. when price pulls back a little, but then continues)

What was your plan for your last 10 trades that lost money?

3 Likes

Your situation is not by any means a bad omen. It is natural in this world. Since you say you only started trading in July, I would say you are still pretty wet behind the ears, and it is only natural to feel like everything you learnt so far is garbage. However, I would like to console you by saying “welcome to the party”. That is what we call a losing streak. It is only a trick to lead you away from your strategy so that you can lose even more. So do not panic, stick to your strategy and the winning streak is just around the corner.
I lost 8 trades in a row last week. but managed to break even on Friday. I wouldn’t have, had I deviated from my system.

5 Likes

here i give you a free signal: Long Chfjpy 1st TP: @117.45, 2nd TP: @117.65
It will be a winning trade, dont lose your hopping yet, i had been in this business for 15yrs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In which case, reduce your lot size, and give your S/L more room to breathe. See if that helps. Also, IMO, there are only 5 trade win/loss patterns:

1. Those, where immediately after you place an order it goes downhill faster than a ski ride. Just get out quick, because there are better trades awaiting.

2. Those, who start losing slowly and continue until hitting your S/L. I’d also get out before that happens. No point in hoping it will turn. There are better trades awaiting.

3. Those, who hover above and below the entry price for hours. Close them down. There are better trades awaiting.

4. Those, who start out promising, making slightly minor profits, but never materialise into hitting your T/P. I’d also close these by using a trailing S/L after reaching breakeven price. At least you’ll get a profit.

5. Those, who hit the deck running into profit. These are the ones to follow and cherish above all else. Aim to reach breakeven ASAP, and then trail their progress by upping your S/L until momentum starts to fade, which could still earn you enough to offset your losing trades for that day or time period.

9 Likes

You should practice more and more to have the confidence and techniques for making money from this market. You can practice on a demo account.

3 Likes

Sometimes market doesn’t support what we have learned. That time we need to take a pause and think differently. There is no ending of learning. Don’t force yourself to open a trade. Relax and observe the market.

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words

thank you very much

omg thank you so much

What do you mean by plan?

Exactly.

Why did you enter where you entered? How did you select that pair? Where did you intend to get out with a profit? Did you intend to stay in but add to the position? Where did you place your initial stop-loss? Did you intend to adjust or tail the stop-loss? What was your capital risk as a percentage of your account? etc. etc. etc.

2 Likes

Have you ever find out what is the reason for the losing? You can always check out in the demo trading to test your strategy and see if it can give you a profit. If it is not, then you need to find the way to tweak that error and see how you can turn the tide from losses to profit, especially in the demo trading.
There are so many way to see the errors, it is best to jot down and see if you can spot the error while preparing those strategy.
All the best, don’t give up. Just keep practicing.

1 Like

by this point, you should earn some points, if you followed, here is another one, Long Cadjpy @81.35 tp 82

1 Like

I got them.Thank you so much, you are a gem

Well when entering trades, I look for where support and resistance is and enter based on that. I also look at the candlestick formations to give confluence. I select pairs that are USD pairs as I was told as a beginner that is what I should start with. I always intend to stay in trades and add position until take profit is hit. I often place my stop-loss some little pips away from my entry point. And I sometimes I fail to trail stop-loss. My risk is sometimes between 1-5% but when I add position I think that increases the risk.

I made sure to use a 0.01 lot size though.

So far so good I would say, though what you said is a bit vague about stop-loss placement.

But what usually happened to price after you had either exited or been stopped out?

1 Like

Do you journal all your trades?

If so, take notes of what price did AFTER you got stopped out. Make a list of your mistakes, and count which mistakes you repeat.

This will tell you what you can do to improve.

4 Likes

Also, look at what happened after price hit your stop, and think about what you should have done differently: a different signal on your indicator, a wider SL, entered too late, misread your signal, exited too late, your trading psychology got the best of you, etc.

Just a sugestion.

2 Likes