Help with MACD set up on MetaTrader 4

I’m trying to set up the MACD on Meta Trader 4 but I can’t figure out how to get both ema lines. When I try to set it up I only see one MA line with the histogram.

I’ve attached pictures to explain what I mean. The picture of 1 MA line is what I have now… the picture with 2 MA lines is what I want but I don’t know how to do it that way. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Try using the mq4 indicator in this thread,

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/16157-mt4-coding-stop-sending-alerts-every-tick.html

I know this question has been discussed at length so if that doesn’t
help you could search macd, mt4 or osma, mt4 or even try some
of the indicators on the webpage below.

Index of /_MT4_Indicators

The MACD indicator that you get with MetaTrader plots the main MACD line as a histogram and the signal line as a…well…line.

Why they have made it like that is beyond me. Some may see it as a deliberate attempt to confuse the newcomer.

And if you download the OsMA indicator (which is supposed to show the Histogram) you should change it so that all MA used in the calculations are EXPONENTIAL.

Alternatively, you can unzip the attached file to your MetaTrader/Experts/Indicators folder, then load it up to get a complete MACD with Histogram.

Happy trading.:smiley:

MACD_Complete.zip (3.13 KB)

Good day,
I am currently encountering the same problem with the MACD set up on the Alpari platform. I have attempted to load the zipped file attached but still have a challenge in getting through.
Anybody who has been successful in this regard should kindly assist with a step-by-step guide on how to complete the process of having a full macd set up on the Alpari platform.
Regards

I have successfully loaded and used the “normal” MACD on MT4. If I can get it to work, anyone can!:D:D

1. Go to the IBFX website. It is not necessary to log into it.

2. Scroll your mouse over the “Trading Tools” tab on the toolbar. A drop-down menu should appear—click on “MT4”.

3. On the left a list of indicators should appear. Click on the “MACD Traditional”. Download this to your desktop.

4. With the IBFX platform [B]TURNED OFF[/B], open the “Interbank FX Trader 4” folder, then open the “Experts” folder. You should be able to see yet another folder called “Indicators”. Drag & drop the “MACD Traditional” folder into the “Indicators” folder.

5. Now you can log on to your IBFX platform. Open a chart—
    a. click on "insert"
    b. click on “indicators”, then scroll down to "custom"
    c. scroll to the right–the “MACD Traditional” should be there–doubleclick it and your chart should now display it.

Piece-of-cake

Potaire

Thanks Potaire,
I have completed steps 1-3. In step 3, i noticed the need to “intall” the macd, which I did and saved in a new folder on the desktop.
My Experts/Indicators folder is in the “program file” saved on disk c. The challenge now is in moving the macd into the indicators folder, as the screen is full of either of the folders i.e desktop macd folder or the indicators folder once opened. It becomes a challenge dragging the macd into the indicators folder. Also, a strange dialogue box pops up.
Could the difference in the Alpari’s and IBFX’s platforms be responsible for this difficulty?
I will appreciate futher assistance to overcome this problem.
Regards

Potaire
Good day.
I am happy to report that today, I finally got the macd traditional added to my chart on my platform. I installed the Ibfx chart directly into the program file, opened it & copied it into the “indicators” folder. I then followed your instructions in step 5.
A thousand thanks for your kind disposition.
Best wishes

Thanks for the file, Shane. Using the real MACD is way better, especially if you are used to stockcharts.com settings (which I am).

Soname

Glad it worked–I learned that very trick here, of course, from somebody else with a kind disposition. This is what a forum is truelly about—getting and giving help. What comes around goes around, and all of those other sayings! :slight_smile:

Potaire

Dear Potaire,

Thank you very much for your help and guidance.

Best regards,
Veryspecial1

Thanks Shane the Zipped MACD worked a treat…

And… I’m new here so Hello ALL!

Happy Pippin :slight_smile:

The mt4 macd seems weird at first untill you get used to it, the outline of the histogram is also the main macd line.
Once you do get used to it you’ll see it is visually more obvious than a 2 line macd when a reversal is about to happen.
The way I look at it is, when the signal line is inside the histogram area all you need to do it look for the signal line to come out of the histogram to signal a reversal about to happen.

Nice explination. I just attatched them both and I see what you mean. I am still preffering the classic look but I will see how it goes. Good to know for the future though… thanks.

Chilli:cool:

Hi Shane, thanks for sharing the MACD, can this be used on the strategy simulator on MT4?

The MACD example there is out of whack. anyone here have a code for the strategy tester?

Thanks!
OilTrader

Hi …Here it is October 4, 2010 and I’ve just uploaded this version of MACD Complete into Metatrader 4 and it seems to function as a MACD should still.

[B]I copied the files into the expert/indicator folder of MT4 as prescribed, and was able to locate it in the Navigator Panel under Custom Indicators.
[/B]
Just wanted to give the next person a thumbs up on this. :wink: Cheers!

Thanks Shane, that was very helpful! Works perfectly!

Thank you so much Potaire! Even though you posted these guidelines back in Jan 2009 I used it today which was massively helpful!
Kind regards

Thanks to Potaire for the MACD classic. Big help. We can see what is going on now.

First of All I want to thank to the user who showed us the way of find complete MACD in MT4.

It is extremely Cool. thanks Bro

Cheers

Hello Potaire, your 3 year old advice still works and I today downloaded the MACD Traditional from the IBFX website and installed it in my MT4 platform (Alpari US demo account) with ease based on your instructions. Piece-of-cake --two or deux! Many thanks.