How do you expect the Brexit vote to go tomorrow? DEFEATED

Are you all for the No Deal Brexit?

Regarding Brexit, what does the option “for parliament to grab control of the process” mean? Is Parliament not the one doing the voting?

It is clear that those who have managed to get themselves elected via varios selection processes - do NOT represent the will of their electors.

The people have spoken with a clear 10% majority in the biggest vote ever in the UK - yet the wreckers refuse to accept the mandate AND even now seem to think it permissible that they can and indeed “SHOULD” use any devious means to defy democracy ! :roll_eyes:

I have to say that that biased article is pretty much the norm these days - who cares these days about a “balanced view” - certainly it seems - not Reuters !

I wasn’t expecting politics talk here but can I just say May is the most incompetent PM I have seen in my lifetime"

2 Likes

Definitely.

But I’ve a horrible feeling she will come through this nevertheless with united party support and no prospect of being de-throned or a General Election. Its looking more likely the EU might compromise, in the face of continuing threat of a no-deal Brexit - through either or both an extension to Article 50 and a customs border check system between the EU and Eire, rather than between GB and Northern Ireland or between Northern Ireland and Eire.

While I don’t want to see a change in PM until after Brexit, I wouldn’t want her to continue a day longer than that, while definitely not wanting Labour to gain power.

Good question - for GBP it’s what the market expects to happen that counts, your linked article sums up market expectation.

There is no written constitution for UK, parliament behaves according to precedent. The sitting Govt normally has a majority, the present one does not and relies on 10 DUP votes.

There is an expectation that a majority of mp’s will ‘take control’ away from the UK Govt, obviously no guarantee that they will agree.

The market is therefore looking again at UK data in general and these last days this in particular:

More details re UK parliament here:
https://www.britpolitics.co.uk/a-level-uk-parliament-british-politics-government-authority

1 Like

Gove for next PM?

Even the people in his party, in his own wing of his own party, do not like him. Or do I mean they do not trust him?

Not saying he would be my choice, but that was a good speech he gave the other day.

Excellent link! Thanks for sharing.

UK parties are definitely making progress in negotiations its seen from Pound movement which has been updating highs this week. Bad news (failed Brexit bill) were good news actually as they reset stagnating talks between parties.

Do not like him, do not trust him, I think it’s the same. On a different note, it looks like that all these events will impact the GBP in a negative way on the markets at least in the next two months or so.

What’s a reputable source of UK news? Does that exist? Haha.

I’m reading headlines last week and this weekend, and I swore the news was positive on a no-deal exit not happening. But headlines today are the complete opposite.

For instance:

Did I miss something?

Some bathroom reading while you have a moment:

The 2 important bits I took away where:

U.K. politicians are tabling amendments to May’s revised proposals. They will be allowed to debate and vote on these on January 29.

This is also when pro-European politicians could hijack the Brexit process. A group of MPs will seek parliamentary approval to amend the government’s business plan for the day to prioritize debate on their Brexit proposals, rather than May’s — a daring upending of parliamentary procedure. If a majority of politicians approve that move, they will then have an opportunity to vote on a bill proposed by Conservative Europhile Nick Boles, mandating an extension to Article 50 if parliament cannot agree a way forward. This would make it legally impossible to force the U.K. out of the EU without a deal.

And this:

What about a second referendum?

May is adamant that the public has already had its say. However, an amendment proposing such a vote could be tabled on January 29, giving Europhile MPs an opportunity to voice their support for it for the first time.

What time is the vote and how do I watch?
Debate starts at 12:45PM and voting starting around 7PM, with the main vote happening most likely between 8-8:30PM.

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/brexit-vote-when-time-date-tuesday-watch-live-stream-tv-plan-b-result-deal-amendments/

It seems there is to be a second referendum - ! :smiley:

The people having listened to the machinations of project fear from anyone within or connected to the establishment for around 3 full years now, remain totally sceptical and unconvinced as to the motives of their “Betters” - They have decided on their own action plan !

Best source is here - Tony Connelly is usually ahead of the curve with his European contacts, is based in Brussels:

1 Like

The recent news I’ve been hearing more about is a martial law option in casee civil unrest spreads. Is that just fear mongering for the US public to consume or something actually being considered locally? It’s unbelievable to think about.

Martial law seems extremely unlikely.

That report likely referencing Northern Ireland - the police chief has asked for recruits from GB for riot training and upped recruitment by 300 officers.

If that fails then would use British army for back-up as in the past.

I agree with @peterma that any likelihood here revolves around The Northern Ireland / Eire issues (Protestant v Catholic) and the historical issues among those factions and the semi-common “enemy” (the English) - Much stored anger in there - whether any of it as anything to do with “Brexit”, or whether that is just the excuse for a good old “Barney” I’m less sure !

In some ways it’s a bit like the ongoing “crusades” which have followed us through the centuries and is currently reaching peaks again - with “Christianity” joining with the Judaism, to “rescue” them from the Muslims ! (Read “steal the oil” :wink: )

For those of us a little ambivalent about the whole “religion issue” the futility and madness of these situations is simply breathtaking !

[Edit - I’m not saying civil unrest is impossible on the mainland - but that will be a reaction to the perception among the common people that the “Establishment” is determined to “sell us out” and by whatever means to "remain - tied to the apron strings of Brussels ". THAT - If indeed it comes could be really quite serious !