How is forex trading different from gambling?

Sorry but can`t agree with neither of your examples.

You should say more about what you believe concerning gambling and trading. I might be wrong, I might learn something.

To a lot of “traders” it is basically gambling.

This is not necessarily a bad thing though. Professional Texas Hold 'Em players trade based on hand win percentages.

Probability based price action trading is a great way to trade forex.

You can quickly make trades on any pair, and have a high degree of accuracy.

It is probably the most difficult of way to trade forex, which is already the most difficult market to make money in, but it was how I was taught/learned, so I just do it lol.

Another great thing about probabilistic trading is that since you automatically surrender yourself to the pure math of the market’s movement, you are very easily able to handle good/bad trades.

Forex trading is not gambling because a real underlying asset (foreign currency) is being traded. With gambling, there is no underlying asset, and players are simply betting on the outcome of a game or event. Forex traders use technical analysis and fundamental analysis to make trading decisions, while gamblers simply rely on luck.

Hi @smokeddescent -

Are you sure you have grasped how the way private retail traders trade forex is different from the way the big international banks trade forex?

So, what are the assets that you buy and sell when you open a long position in USD/JPY?

The vast majority of people lose money trading, its a really high percentage of people that lose, so guess what?
They are gambling, they won’t admit it (gambler mentally, they will never ever admit they are gamblers), they throw in a bunch of fancy terms and frases, money management, follow the rules, stick to a plan, no it isnt gambling i have my support and resistance, my trend lines, my R.R. my fancy software, i make analysis of the market etc…
YOUR LOSING BECAUSE YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT THE ■■■■ YOUR DOING, AND WHEN YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE ■■■■ YOUR DOING AND START TO THROW MONEY AT IT, YOU ARE ■■■■■■■ GAMBLING.
Take a moment and read this last part again. It will hurt some egos but i don’t really care. The reality is that every day in the market there are a few trading and the rest is gambling.

1 Like

fifa rankings and current form effects odds ie
1-7 France
11-2 DRAW
18-1 Panama
but football not a good example because best team might have 68% Possession ,12 shots on target play the better football and still not win,that why football such a ridiculous sport to bet on

Nevertheless, we’re on the same page. Knowledge of the past performance and current abilities of the opposing sides would influence the outcome of your bet. Perhaps tennis might be a better sport to bet on, or boxing or American football. In any event, it is not like betting on a number on the roulette wheel.

point taken

Forex trading is more about analytical thinking and theory of possibilities plays here fewer role than in gmbling. Gambling is based on luck you either win or lose. There are no any analytical activity, because the most part of gambling is based on losses, because it makes people to give away their money. Trading activity also implies losses, however there are much more chances to become successful in trading, because this sphere has been existing almost a century. Anyway, gambling is more about luck, while trading activity is always about skills, knowledge and experience.

1 Like

Trading can only be regarded as gambling if the trader is making mere predictions, but you can’t say trading gambling if the trader is using technical analysis for knowing the direction of the market and making decisions based on that.

1 Like

Trading demands knowledge while gambling is just based on luck.

1 Like

Any investment can be turned into gambling if no research is done beforehand and it is left merely on luck. Forex is different when a trader looks at the charts, plans risk management, chooses a strategy, decides entry and exit, and executes the trade diligently while maintaining discipline and being patient.

Exactly. :+1:

According to me, in forex trading luck can work for some time but your knowledge will always help you to excel.

Forex can’t be considered as gambling. It is only gambling when you don’t know what you’re doing. When you’re guessing trades. But not gambling when you really know the market

Can you set take profit and stop loss levels while gambling? You will either win big or lose everything in gambling, whereas in trading, you have the option to get out of a losing trade without suffering from heavy losses.

Exactly!
There is nothing like stop loss in gambling and this is the major difference.

Flipping a coin trying to predict the outcome is gambling. You’ve no control over the outcome & cannot predict it accurately. But trading forex, through practice, you will gain control over the outcome & can predict the result accurately vast majority of the time if not every time.

In gambling, the house is always one step ahead of the players and wins in the long term by exploiting the odds. There is no house in Forex; instead, traders are their own “houses,” and they can use a variety of strategies to tilt the odds in their favour