How long to demo trade?

If I am winning trades consistently on my strategy for last 2 weeks, how long should I demo trade before doing live? I am a newbie

Thanks
Sal

Hi @sach_nyc,

Have you tried using the search function here? It’s the magnifying glass at the upper right hand of the screen.

Here’s the link to what I got when I searched “how long demo trade”:

https://forums.babypips.com/search?q=demo%20trade%20how%20long

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Try a micro or nano account and raise your stacks gradually.

100$ account —> another 2 week profitable
add 500$ ----> another 2 week profitable
add 1000$ ----> another 2 week profitable
add 5000$ ----> and so on…

if one week you are not profitable take a step down…

make sure you have your psychology and emotions on check and raise the stacks gradallly as it is very easy to go crazy and lose almost everything in just one trade.

3 Likes

Need more time at least 3 month on demo trade account to make sure you have good trading method.

1 Like

Well it depends on you. When you feel confident enough to start using real money, do it! You should always leave some space for risk, but risk should be reasonable.

1 Like

I spent almost six months trading on a demo account before I tried doing so on a live account. That said, every person is different.

Keep in mind, however, that market conditions change in the long term and your strategy may need to change when that happens.

1 Like

thanks for comment. one more person has advised me to trade demo for 6 months.

From the School of Pipsology: At least demo trade for THREE to TWELVE months.

1 Like

i started demo trading in april. all I was trading was on the basis of my intuition and basic knowledge and losing out most of the time. now I am more systematic and strategic for last 2 weeks and have winning trade consistently

Very true, totally agree with you. Trading forex is a problem if you can’t keep your emotions in checl. Also, trading with a demo account provides a sense of ease as it is not your own money, that can to a degree minimize the emotional factor whilst in a trade in my experience

In demo there is a chance to control minimum emotions but when trading in a real, we can’t control this. So be careful when trading practically.

You may not necessarily need six months as every person is different, some need more, some need less. That was just my experience.

1 Like

If it takes 6 months to become expert at your first strategy, its too complicated to start trading with. Make your first strategy one you can learn within 3 days, and demo to consistency within much less than 6mths.

1 Like

You must try to continue your working with the demo trading account until you are enough confident that you have achieved the desired trading skills and expertise to continue a profitable trading journey.

1 Like

That’s true. On the other hand, staying too long on a demo account can have an opposite effect, as one does not learn how to deal with the emotional aspect of trading on it.

2 Likes

I agree with @victoriajensen. I think it’s really going to differ from one person to another depending on how much time you spend each day as well as other factors.

2 Likes

How long did you guys demo trade before going live? :slight_smile: @CoinLady @victoriajensen

care to share your strategy. I am struggling in creating one.

1 Like

do not try to create your own strategy unless you are a pro. take a winning strategy and customize it for your style. Get a mentor too if you can.

Still a newbie. Don’t have the Luxury or connect for a mentor. Which is why I asked for urs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. But it seems I gotta continue my search. Cheers