How many hours do you sleep?

I know this is so random haha. It just got me thinking because I’m having a hard time fitting in my job, my life, and seriously getting into trading. I usually get 5-6 hours of sleep in a day. Below that I feel groggy the whole day. How about you guys? How much sleep do you get? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

that seems about right :joy: it’s hard for me to follow a sleep schedule. That’s about the same amount of hours I get a day

I think after a while our bodies will become accustomed to not getting much sleep

About 6 hours on average. I feel awesome on 7-8 but I rarely get it. If I take on a software developement contract that means I am working 80-100 hours/week, and usually get around 4-5 hours of sleep during that time, in which I feel pretty terrible throughout the day. It definitely affects my mood, focus, energy, etc. in a negative way.

1 Like

I really can’t get past 6 hours even if I try. On very rare occasions I get 7-8 hours but it doesn’t add anything to the quality of my day. Maybe I just have crappy time management skills that’s why I’m finding it hard to fit in everything. :sweat:

When you say you don’t follow a sleep schedule does it mean that you sleep at different times? Is it dependent on your trades? Haha

I rarely get 7-8 too. But unlike you I don’t feel better in the times I get more than 6 hours of sleep.

Oh wow! I can be sleep deprived for a week but more than that I’ll probably get sick.

Hmmm… Then how do you go about getting work done?

I’m pretty regular about sleep, most of the time. I like to go to bed by 10 and get up by 5. But sometimes I stay in bed and read for an hour before I get up… so I should say wake up by 5. Sometimes I also wake up in the night (2 or 3 in the morning, usually), and then I usually read for an hour or so until I’m sleepy again. Sometimes that makes me oversleep.

Also, I keep the radio on all night on low volume, classical music. I started that when I was living in London and there was lots of street noise. It helped mask the street noise. Now I live in a quiet area, but the habit continues. I like having the music on when I wake up.

If I don’t get enough sleep, I feel groggy and horrible the next day, and have trouble doing anything productive. If I get too much sleep, also it seems to have the same effect. 6-7 hours is the right amount.

1 Like

I still get it done but it becomes a bit of a slog. I can operate at that level for a couple months before I need to push the reset button and get back to normal.

Yea like right now, I’m struggling on deciding the hours I really want to trade. I work a day job where I have to drive to the office every morning, gotta be there by 7:30am. The london market opens at 3am and I’ve noticed a lot of great trades I’ve missed during the times I’m knocked out. Or I can just wait until the US market opens at 8am, but since I’m at work it’s hard to keep track of the charts. I’m also a day trader, so I want to be in and out of a trade as quickly as I can. I’ve been able to gain some nice pips while here on the job, so I’ll try and keep that up. Setting price alerts might help out too

Join the club! It’s so easy to think you have time for everything, but you really do have to prioritise! I doubt your time management skills are crappy, or at least not crappier than most of us. We tend to delude ourselves that there’s enough time to fit it all in, when there really isn’t. Then you end up doing everything a bit worse than you want to.

One of my problems is that I feel guilty when I can’t do it all. Like right now, I’m not doing photography (one of my hobbies) much at all because I haven’t prioritised it. Every time I see my camera bag, I feel guilty. Made worse because I just recently sold a photograph, which brings my lifetime total to a whopping two! But I’ve got too much going on right now to focus (haha) on photography.

So, I’m spending a load of time on trading (learning, that is) and making sure I have time for my work-from-home job, looking after house, garden, husband and cat, and piano practice. And sleep. I like my sleep. And playing nethack, yep, and I’m on the team designing a tournament for November. And quiz team once per week. I think that’s about it. Oh, and exercise (not doing too well on that one at the moment.)

But aside from that, not busy at all, why am I not heading out with my camera every day? :confused:

Nope, I don’t think you’re crappy at time management. Time is just a right royal pain in the neck for everyone.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this would help you, but it helped me to work in day trading with a day job. I work from home and as long as I hit my deadlines, no one gives a monkey’s bottom when or how often I take my breaks.

But I have a tendency to obsess on staring at charts, so to allow me to concentrate on the day job and stay on top of the charts, I use this youtube video that does nothing but beep every 15 minutes for 10 hours.

I just start it about a minute before the 15-minute candle change, and then simply behave like Pavlov’s dog… hear a beep, check the chart. It works pretty well, because I’m not worrying about time and can concentrate on other things until I hear the beep. There are other time frames as well, just search for them if you want something else.

1 Like

I usually get 5-6 hours on weekdays. I need to wake up early morning to prepare my kids for school and do my work after that. During weekends, I get more than 8 hours of sleep. :slight_smile:

Hmm. :thinking: I usually get 3-4 hours of sleep since I easily wake up to sounds around me. :sweat_smile: Then again, that’s usually enough for me. :smiley: 5 hours of sleep or more often makes me feel super lethargic the whole day. :sweat_smile:

I usually sleep for 6 to 7 hours on weekdays. On weekends sometimes i sleep continuously for 10 hours :joy:

1 Like

I need to start working on my fixing my bodyclock. On an average I get about 5 hours of sleep. This is not good I know. Sooner or later it starts taking a toll on your health, mental as well as physical. Gonna have to cut back on some of my screen time.

wow, too much work and very less sleep. Do you plan anything in order to get better sleep?

9-10 to feel decent

:expressionless:

Even if we get used to sleeping less than what’s considered as enough, don’t you think this is harmful in the long run? :sweat:

1 Like

Yea I was going to comment on @tipsypips response. It will be harmful in the long run, but I feel like its something we have to sacrifice in the beginning of our journey. For me, I don’t plan on spending years to develop a strategy lol so I’m willing to sacrifice time and sleep in order to make things happen

Dont drink coffee a few hours before bed and stay hydrated. That usually helps me make the most of it. :relaxed:

2 Likes