How much profit can l REALISTICALLY make trading starting with 500 dollars

The real profit in trading a small account id learning to trade in most any situation, making a few bucks is good but just staying consistently profitable is the real benefit.

Then when you increase the account size over and over again you will bring those skills along with you to be enhanced with sizing and leverage as applicable.

The key here is steady as she goes.

2 Likes

Im doing a small account challenge for the fun of it i dont really recommend doing this but im just testing my skill ( p.s. you most likely wont get the results im achieving ) but the goal is to make 1% per day yes its only $20, and the minimum and its all intraday , im on day 3 right now, first day was 1 trade at 60k lot size took about 3 hours to reach $150, day 2 i traded with a 20k lot size and took 4 hrs to reach $130, today i havenā€™t taken a trade yet but will start trading with in the next hour or so. Like i said before not everyone will be able to do this my risk is moderate and its the same strategies used for my maine account ( i trade for a living )

5 Likes

Tbh I can make 500 dollars from a 100 dollar deposit in around 4 hours H1 time frameā€¦ At the same time I can lose that same 100 dollars in less than 2 minutes on a bad trade (or a good trade killed by a volatile candle). Donā€™t listen to anyone just find your own way tbh.

1 Like

Hello I am new and still in the learning process, by 2-5% risk does that imply to the stop loss or the gross amount of the trade.

1 Like

You can always start with a Cent Account. I have been testing an EA since December last year. Set deposit at $1000.00 for cent account. Gives you 100000.00 Cents. That way you have lots of margin to work with. Leverage is 1:500.

1 Like

What is your start up capital account of your Demo?

1 Like

Using 3 fundamental ideas of money management, I conclude that you can realistically expect to make 2% per week. The figure will change however dependant on how well you stick to your trading plan and how your plan differs from the following 3 basic practises / ideas:

1 - Risk a maximum of 1% a/c balance per trade
2 - Trade a 3:1 Reward - Risk ratio. This incorporates your maximum 1% loss and sees you entering trades that offer a potential 3% ā€˜winā€™.
3 - The ā€˜3 / 10 ruleā€™ - this states that out of 10 trades, you can expect to LOSE 7 of them! Yes, the odds are stacked against you. Good traders know this and use ā€˜curtailingā€™ in their trading plans in order to end with a profit.

Thereforeā€¦

From 10 trades, 7 lose 1% each (7%) and 3 win 3% each (9%) = 2% earned at the end.

This is obviously very subjective and a good trader can improve on these figures. The 2% figure can be expected as a new starter in the field, if they respect the 3 rules mentioned. These rules are based on general probability rather than expertise.

1 Like

If you can consistently make 20% returns per year, which is ridiculously good and incredibly hard to accomplish, that means that even a 100K account is not enough. It has to be much more than that.

Think about it for a bitā€¦ 20% returns of a 100K account per year is 20K before taxesā€¦ That is not enough for making a living, you will just be breaking even at best. You need patience, discipline, and proper risk/money management. But even if all those are rock solid on your part, you will still need to have at least 300K in your account balance to make a comfortable living. You need money to make money.

Next best thing, is to work as a prop trader for a firm, or trade other peoples money and get a yearly cut from the profits.
500 as a trading account is only good for live practice, not for making a living
This is the harsh REALITY of thingsā€¦

2 Likes

Well, I donā€™t see the purpose of such a question as is you are starting just from the $500 probably you are here not for the money, maybe for experience or just to make an experiment. You name it. Iā€™m not saying that this is wrong thing; you just donā€™t need to set those high expectations at this time.

1 Like

Well one thing is clear for me though I can multiply $500 to $2000 in less than a month

When someone says 2% risk, theyā€™re usually referring to percent of their account. If you have $1000 in your trading account, you would risk $20 on a trade. Youā€™d have to do the math on any given trade to set your position size for the given stop limit to make that the risk of your account.

1 Like

10% per month is good and certainly attainable. Itā€™s what I do. With 50% win rate and from 1:1 to 5:1 RR. Why is it so hard to believe people can make the gains. Perhaps because most people use well known well tested popular trading systems used by the retail herd that trades against the institutional banks rather than with them? Hmm

If you have been demo trading for 8 months you should have a rough idea of how much youā€™ll be making live

1 Like

Wow whatā€™s your technique?

[

That would be greatā€¦ :wink:

I would say that over time something like few hundreds more on top of that, itā€™s really not that big amount, just some starting sum to play with. And you mentioned demo account, have you actually try some real money account ? You already come from another industry so not a problem with risks;)

Certainly, if you have already being trading at demo account, you probably know how much you can accomplish with your current strategy. If you are getting ready to move to real account, then try to set lower targets for yourself, and during time try to increase them gradually

If I had a penny for every time Ive seen a demo chart with these sorts of crazy gains, I would have more money than most of the people who posted the charts

1 Like

Hi! Learning should be the prime motives together with the idea of making money. So learning with encouragement keeps the zeal in us to continue.
It is good to have high hopes to take entry and gradually at the end when you are trained and remain, you will find yourself around your dreams.
They may not be the same percentage but hopefully you will be closer to your expectation. This only the time will tell, you will discover yourself.
I am a beginner and a self learner. I think of high returns. I have doubled my investment in a months time with the learning account of 250 and 200 dollars many times and also every week 100 dollars with the account of just 250 D.
But one day when the positions turned against I lost the whole week profits. Sometimes 2 weeks in a day.
But I came to realize that I am achieving my goals of making good money one hand but loosing another hand. But still donā€™t regret that is how we learn not to repeat our mistakes so we can be a better trader.
I would not rather limit anyone for their expectations because you can make but the risk management is the main thing to keep what you made.
At the movement my position is I doubled my money 100% but again lost 35% of my equity.
It is hard. I want to continue and learn better and improve my skills.
I recently learned to trade with S/L and t/p.
All learned by myself through you tube and videos.
I want to learn better. And see myself by the end of this year how things will end.

2 Likes

I personally think that it shouldnā€™t be about the money at first. It should be about not losing money or blowing your account. Thatā€™ll teach you consistency and hence know your expectations based on your results. Profit will eventually come.

1 Like