How the world would look like when internet does not exist today?

Random question, too curious to know. You may talk about personality, environment, business, manpower, jobs, anything.

1 Like

No one likes to talk about it? :pensive:

Hmm. :thinking: It’s sooooo hard to imagine the world without the internet! :sweat_smile: Maybe that’s why no one has responded yet. :smiley: BUT! Hmm. If I were to think about it, I’d say maybe, people would still come up with something that would make everything easier and convenient. (Just not sure what that is. Lol) :stuck_out_tongue: I think there’d also be more face-to-face interactions so that’s a good thing for me. :smiley: How about you? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting question, @Arobun!

What would the world look like without the internet? :thinking:

Possibly like this.

3 Likes

hahaa. Thanks for your view, lots of emoji in one message. :grin:
Appreciate your perspective. But what I think, it’s totally opposite. You have to stand on queue line in bank, you have to be there in forex shop whole day to trade. oh yeah.

When there is no internet, it takes lots of capital to spend for business to grow, and when business is not growing fast, you cannot make money fast, and when you cannot make money fast, you have to work in field which makes you tired a lot. Who loves to work in field?

Surely there is huge benefits for employment I guess, business needs more people so that it will grow. Environment may remains same. Internet has small effect on environment I think.

There would be lot of queue line in office, queue line in bank to get cash (because no internet, no digital payment and no digital shopping for you, lol). Everything seems difficult, but best in personality because people would be hard working, hard working produces honesty, honesty produces humility. Humility is joy.

What do you think now?

haha. Yeah, that ole time dancing. Sweet move. Love it.

1 Like

That’s messed up! You got me, you got me.

I think more like this… one on every corner, like Starbucks!

4 Likes

I had to watch an ad for that! Good one! Would like to see that link click count go up so yes guys, it’s a good one.

3 Likes

I think you might be mistaking hard work with physical work. Just because people nowadays aren’t farming or tending to farm animals, doesn’t mean they’re not working hard.

The values you named (honesty, humility) are still around also. It’s up to us to cultivate them.

If I played along though and imagined how the world would look like without the internet… we’d probably still be living like we’re in the 80s. So @mtb_rex makes a good point.

1 Like

Thanks man, you got it right, physical work. I do agree people work hard in different areas, but deep down in my heart, there is huge rise in laziness, add ego, crimes. I’m not talking about one person but the picture of world. I think internet is the only reason that evolves people’s mindsets. I don’t know, I was not present in 80s but I’ve watched some movies which is based on old-real-story, large difference.

Can you or anyone share what is the biggest change from 80s to this from your experience? For the sake of rule, it has to be related to “with internet” and “without internet”. :slight_smile:

If you wanted a loan, you went to see the Bank Manager, who knew your name and give you a yes or no after listening to your proposion. He made the decision ! not some “Algo”
[Edit - Bank accounts were free ! You got paid INterest on Savings :grinning: AND they charged you a reasonable rate of interest ! ]

Not really, you picked up the phone ! (Spreads were wider though and you had to have enough money in the account (or in your property) - to make it worth their while) - No “Demo accounts” of course - but you could “Paper trade”

Been thinking about this (Good question)

Going on holiday and want a lift to the airport ? - In the old days you would mention it in the “Pub” (Social meeting place for those in the locality) and someone would say “Give us a few quid plus petrol - I’ll do it” - Nowadays, There IS no-one to ask because there are no “Pubs” ) - Mention it on “Social media” - they’ll rob your house while you’re away ! :grinning:
Nowadays - “Get a Taxi” - they all know each others prices and YOU are stuck with it !

Need a leaky tap fixed ? - Used to Ask in the pub for local tradesman - or “Yellow pages” or “Local Newspaper Ads” nowadays you have only some paid for site like “Checkatrade” dot com.

Something to sell ? used to be Free papers like “Friday ads”, and multiple alternatives - remember “Exchange and Mart” ? Advertise item with your price, take the phonecalls, somebody comes round, buys it, pays you.

Nowadays “Ebay wants 10% + 35P” They push Paypal (another 5%) you post the kit, then the buyer makes a claim and Ebay or Paypal - Refund them your money and charge it to YOUR account !

Want a job ? Advertise your service in local paper or browse the “Vacancies” in the back of the paper, Go to jobcentre - speak to someone and browse the notice boards for anything suitable. Nowadays - “Register with one of multiple jobsites” - You have to say exactly WHAT you do and submit CV - Multiple Agencies contact you and eventually they pass you on to an “Employer” and charge them for the priviledge of being the middle-man !

Don’t know who your neighbours are ? Used to ask in the Pub - and sometimes they’d even be in there and you could have a few drinks and get to know each other - else somebody would tell you.
Nowadays - who knows or cares ?

2 Likes

haha, enjoyed thoroughly. Thanks mate. I started to remember old movies when I read your post. Where are cowboy hat nowadays? :smile::cowboy_hat_face:

Without internet, communication becomes slower, slower communication means information are shared at a slower pace. The necessity of moving fast is not there. People become less reactive, since there is a lack of stimulus. The world as we know would become a very different place.

There will not be globalisation of trades, ideas and culture. Every country will be in a world of their own. There is an invisible wall between each country. The opportunity for learning from a more advance first world country would be greatly inhibited.

Pace of life for everyone becomes slower. The need to play catch up or the proponents of rat race are demarcated. When people don’t see, there is no evil. " See no evil, hear no evil. " There will be less temptation.

The most noteworthy and meaningful differences of with and without internet are face to face interaction. The human touch that is. With internet, interactions between people are reduced to mere exchange of alphabet and ascii code. The world becomes like Jötunheimr.

In a nutshell, without internet, people walk slowly, talk slowly. We listen and hug more. With internet, there is a rising need for speed to play catch up. " But there has to be an upper limit, because if this trend continues, we will be arriving at places before we even set off. "

1 Like

Ain’t this the truth. I don’t even see my neighbors! Everyone’s on their phones or on their computers. (Not saying I’m not one of them)

@Arobun - I think for the younger generation, it’s a lot harder nowadays knowing that you can quickly (or inevitably) compare yourself with everyone else through social media or the internet. Me and my mates grew up dirt poor but it didn’t matter - we didn’t know we were poor! Nowadays, you can watch how everyone else is “living their best lives” on Instagram and YouTube.

Not good for the parents or the kids. More pressure to have good parenting skills if you do decide to have children.

2 Likes

Well trading would be a lot harder for starters. Messaging would be more costly with the increased use of SMSes, there would be hindered progression due to the difficulty to exchange ideas on a mass scale. The internet has made many aspects of life easier for those who can afford it. But it has also brought many bad aspects too. Fake news, invincible keyboard warriors, etc

1 Like

Kids would still learn how to use an encyclopedia, spend time in libraries and play outdoor games.

3 Likes

Interesting facts and thoughts! Thanks for sharing out.

That’s cute part, I miss it now-a-years.

Sad truth! Regarding parental skills, that’s gonna be my highest priority and planning. Thou I’m not married yet, but I love kids. Gotta have greater skills. Married guys, help me prepare for it. :smile:

Well stated. Everything has pros and cons, be it slow reliable, or evil fast. We must be careful (to pick fast and reliable to run a good life.)

I have this very book in front of me, haven’t use it for decades. Shame on me. :tired_face:

Do have a Craigslist.com clone over your way? It’s the online classifieds in the States, free, about as “low tech” as you can get. It’s free, unlimited in a sense, and all you have to do is make sure to meet in the right place so you don’t get robbed when going to buy something (or list something for that matter)! Otherwise, excellent. The police is catching on and setting up official Craigslist meeting areas that are secure, usually a police station parking lot.

I will echo the thoughts of others that tech and social media is making us less social (so yes, less hugs). And now that you never have to leave your house to live and survive, I imagine the state of mental health will continue to deteriorate as more and more of us stay away from human interaction in favor of instant gratification and a digital life.

1 Like

Unfortunately true. That’s the part I dislike the most. However, we can still participate many activities to make us sure that we are connected to each other. That’s what we are doing nowadays. Sometimes, we went to hill to surprise someone’s birthday, other time we went to hill for just lunch or first salary party, and the other time we went to depressed people in late evening to surprise them and cheer them up before they move on with their life. Just love this part.

After you all shared or contributed your beautiful parts, (really thanks for that, each of you) what would you say which one is today’s generation?

• Good outweigh bad?
  • Bad outweigh good?
  • Pretty much middle.
  • please stop over-analysing A.