I almost quit trading

I’m here to encourage you, hoping you find your way to achieve your trading skills. It’s hard to be profitable consistently, but if you keep fighting for it, the reward will be worth it.

Trading setbacks can be disheartening. Consider stepping back to reassess your strategy and mindset. Focus on learning, risk management, and emotional discipline. Seek guidance from experienced traders or mentors. Keep persevering and stay resilient.

Thanks for advice from everyone.
Though I keep losing on demo, I will keep trying, hopefully each day will get better.

1. Smooth Graphs: Generally, the London and New York sessions are known for smoother price movements compared to the Asian session. The Tokyo session can be quieter and more choppy at times.

2. Best Days: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays are typically better for forex trading, as they often see more consistent price action compared to Mondays and Fridays.

3. Leverage: For beginners, lower leverage like 1:30 is often recommended to manage risk. Higher leverage like 1:400 or 1:500 can lead to larger losses if not managed carefully.

4. Health Tips: To feel better while trading, take regular breaks, exercise, eat healthy, and consider reducing screen time to avoid eye strain and stress.

5. Currency Pairs: Beginners often start with major currency pairs like EUR/USD, USD/JPY, or GBP/USD due to their liquidity and lower volatility compared to exotic pairs.

6. Loss Prevention: Strategies like setting stop-loss orders, using proper risk management (like not risking more than 1-2% of your account per trade), and sticking to a trading plan can help prevent losses.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thank you very much! Your advice helps me a lot!!

By the way, which time frame you’re using?
1 minute? 5 minutes or 15 minutes?

I always bid, and scared change direction and stop, and then bid again, then lose profit…I really don’t know what to do? If you have some suggestions?

I mean I really want to take more longer time profit, not days, maybe just longer minutes or short hours…

1 minute timeframe too choppy and 5 15 minutes timeframe i scared to lose money if lose then lose more money…

Awww That’s great :slight_smile: Wishing you a profitable trading experience :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Thank you Amy95, I’m still beginner and using demo. This week I lost a lot, it’s hard to become consistently profitable, always have both win and lose, but I hope things will get better day by day for trading.

1 Like

You’re not alone, there: the very tiny minority of retail forex traders who do ever become consistently profitable also continue to have both wins and losses! :+1:

What matters, obviously enough, is for the wins steadily to add up to more than the losses.

The safe way to try to achieve that outcome, avoiding long losing runs, is to aim for a high win-rate by using a modest reward-to-risk ratio, preferably less than 1.0. Unfortunately, though, general forum advice tends to steer people in exactly the opposite direction (especially in beginners’ forums, where - exactly as you might logically expect - such a high proportion of the advice offered is pretty ill-informed and based on mistaken premises). :stuck_out_tongue:

This very recent little thread may well help you, though - :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t worry, losses are part of the learning process. With time and persistence, you’ll see progress for sure! :wink:

1 Like

Princess014, what you are missing to become profitable in trading are study and psychology.

Study means making a search for a trading method that suits your personality, studying it thoroughly and honing your skills by practicing it until you are comfortable with your winning consistency.

Psychology means you should embrace profits and losses as even the very best traders in the world have both winning and losing streaks, but in the end are still profitable because their winners are greater than their losers. No matter how good you are in trading the markets will always be the markets. What this means is that in many cases, your detailed and accurate analysis of the markets may fall flat making you lose the trade. That doesn’t mean you were wrong. You have no control over your wins and losses. All you have to do is study, practice, increase your wins and confidence, and, finally, trust the process.

Your focus is to find an edge. There are tons of materials all over the internet that can help you discover your trading edge or aha moment. I will mention a few:

• Stochastic and Moving Average trading
• Supply and Demand trading
• ICT
• Malaysian Support and Resistance (AKFX, Egsolution, Alchemist, etc)
• Simple 24 SMA breakout and retest on the one hour chart
• Beat the Market Maker (BTMM)
• Volume Spread Analysis
• Currency Strength trading
• Weekly Pivot trading…etc.

There are many many more besides these. You could also shorten your learning curve by learning from a mentor. Choose one and stick to it. Do not switch strategies in your learning phase. In time, you will be consistently making pips rather than losing them.

2 Likes

Even EUR/USD is completely changed its shape from before, other currencies are more hard. I’m. Completely lost now. It used to be more smooth better graph…now it’s weird, I keep losing on demo, because I not get graph patterns anymore, it’s weird pattern.

1 Like

Hi I’m new here. Just want to share some thoughts. If it’s not useful please ignore me.

To be good in trading CFD, you need to learn how to read chart. Before, you need to identify your risk profile and trading style.

I’m looking at the chart you gave, it’s H4 which means you are a swing trader.
Swing trader need to be extremely patient. I do swing sometime. I open a position, hold it for 1-3 months. Sometime I need to wait around 2 months to have a good position. Is this what you want?

If you want to have faster realized profit, you need to move down your timeframe, for example M15 to H1. But to work on this area, you need good skill to identify a position in the market.

Base on image above, you need to identify market trend. You also need to know where the interesting entry zone. When you can see entry signal around those areas (blue rectangle), that will be the sweet spot to enter. These are the theory.

I’m not showing you entry signal here, but an example about how to trade CFD.
I believe everyone can trade CFD. We only need patients and practice.
It takes years of practices. Even now, I’m still learning :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m sorry for your losses. My advice: don’t trust other to trade for you.
Base on your story, it seemed the fund you used above your limit.
For a beginner I always give limit not more then 1/50 from total assets. The reason is you need experience and mentality to get more.
You need to learn money management to control risk in trading. Don’t get tricked by profit you potentially have, but think more the risk you will face.

I started trading with 0.01 lot in the beginning. It took me 1 years to know the meaning of risk in trading CFD. Trading is not about getting fast money, you can only make fast money when you are good at.

Btw, you said you are using EA. Using EA you need to be more discipline. You need to backtest. Look for the most volatile period to find out the maximum draw down. If the EA is configurable, find out the best profit factor with smallest DD. When you have them, you know how to design good money management for the EA.

I have been using EA since 2011, and I am survive 3 catastrophic events by implementing these strict rules.

Hi @Princess014, I’m sorry to hear your condition. I wish there will be good way to solve your misfortune. :pray:

For me EURUSD has a clear direction. It’s going down. So you have to wait when to sell. Within lower timeframe EURUSD is going up, wait till it reverse. You need to tell me your entry strategy, perhaps I can fine tune it a bit for you. But after all you need to backtest it to make sure if it really works.

There are many catastrophic events along my trading journey since 2005.

• I got doomed during the collapse of Lehman Brother in 2008. :joy:
  • 2014 when CFH depeg from EUR. It was a nightmare. But in the end I got extremely big profit. I consider it as a luck.
  • 2016 when Brexit, GBPUSD was very wild.
  • 2018 financial crisis. But I was well prepared at the time.
  • 2021 Covid 19. This one was quite scary, I had to used more then 50% of my financial power.
  • 2022 Ukraine vs Russian War. I was well prepared, felt itchy for a while

Those events had effect to my performance badly.
The next thing we need to be cautious, during the fed cut rate. It will drive market wildly.

To have living from trading you need skill and also capital. As a beginner, you need time to grow your skill. When you already have skill (real result), the minimum amount to start is around 2000 USD. I found 10k USD is the most comfortable number to trade. Targeting only 5% max / month. To be honest the safest for beginner will be around 2-3% / month. Bigger than that, you will have pressure and it will effect your psychology, furthermore you have condition, it will disturb your judgement.

One thing more, trading is bad for health. Pressure and greed will be the cause. After trading more than 19 years, I have rewarded by GERD, Anxiety, Frozen Shoulder, Stiff Neck, HNP and High Blood Pressure :joy:

Oh, my strategy for entry is either follow the directions of the trend line or reverse strategy. I also use multi time frame for finding directions.i also use indicators like MA and RSI and MACD for entry point. Tell me if you have any good idea to not lose trades or more win strategies…

I’m still beginner, maybe only started one month ago, graphs are very choppy recently, I keep losing on demo and also hard to find entry point, always change direction after I bid, then I lose money haha. That’s the problem there…also many times I confused about direction, it’s hard to decide buy or sell…

I feel more scared now after hearing your catastrophic events about trading. I think I will lose more money when financial crisis or COVID times…the more I lose on trading, the more I start to feel that I’m not able to pay bills every month from trading…I scared to lose my savings as well.

I couldn’t decide what is best for myself, relying on my husband, or living alone by trading, or searching new person(both my parents and my husband are bad)…it’s hard choice to make. If you have any ideas what is best, you can give me some suggestions.

The graphs are really tricky, I agree it’s bad for health too, I’m having fever now after practicing trading… The long hours checking on my phone really make me sick

i like the perspective, thanks

1 Like

Here are some example the way to analyze chart properly. For example on H4 we can see clearly market is going down. So as a beginner, it will be safer to find position to short. You need to keep monitor the market, aware of the last peak. If it is broken, market trend is going to change automatically.

After you know the major trend, you go down to lower time frame. You can see, market is climbing up. What you have to do, wait until you see down trend as a signal to enter the market.

This is the easier methodology for beginner to learn trading.
The next thing you need to take care is the money management. I show you how to calculate the risk.
For EURUSD, when you take H1 chart as your entry zone, the math will be:

• What is the value of 1 pip in EURUSD. For now it’s 10 USD / lot.
  • What is the price range for EURUSD in H1. Answer is under normal condition it will be started from 50 - 150 pips.

So you will face 50-150 pips for every signal in H1 chart. If you want to have lower risk, you need to use lower time frame for entry signal. Let stick to H1 chart, so the math will be:

if you use 0.01 lot on a standard account (contract size 100k / lot), The risk will be 0.01 x 10 USD x 50 pips = 5 USD. The risk will be started from 5 to 15 USD.
Next you need to back test your strategy first, get the statistic. Let say, your statistic is good, and the stats tell your max risk have to be 2% for each trade, you need capital around: Risk($) / Max Risk (%). That will be 5 / 2% (min) and 15 / 2% (max) so you have range min balance 250 - 750 USD. Make sure this amount of money is in within your comfort zone.

You are not specific to mention how to identify a trend. But using to many indicator as entry signal can be confusing. Such as:

• MA do you use it to tell you dynamic support resistance, base pivot or as swing point.
  • RSI do you use it as trend indicator or price saturation level (overbought / oversold).
  • MACD do you use it as trend indicator, point of reversal, entry signal or momentum.

I’m not trying to make you confused. But trading needs detail and precision to define every role, data and fact. We need to define our psychology, expectation, profile and comfort zone. Never break this rule.

My style quite aggressive, so wont be good and comfortable for you.
You need to train your eyes to spot trend in higher time frame. You may try H4 and D1. Find out which one is more comfortable for you. Use only trendline to identify a trend. Most indicators will give false signal.
Next you can try EMA (50,100) crossover on M15 for EURUSD. Only open position when breakout happens.
The rule will be: never trade against major trend. When market sideways, stay away. This setup only available for EURUSD. Do backtest first to get your trading stats.

Warning: This is a very slow strategy, only for beginner to learn TA. You can’t go further without having this skill. :pray:

1 Like

Thanks for your long advice, I will try out your method, because I keep losing on demo account. Plus Im having fever and bad cold…

2 Likes

When there is financial crisis or catastrophic events, basically you can’t do trading or even you do you will lose money?

I see almost every year have some catastrophic events I guess?

As a beginner, what should I do when catastrophic events come? Not trading? Small trading? No trading for few month or even year??

I scared maybe lose all my savings…
(Even not have tragedy events, I lose on demo lol)

2 Likes

Hi @Princess014, There will always be events to shake market. That is why as a trader we need to aware with the latest condition on earth :smile:

I have written note for any critical issue and watching carefully how its progress. For example, I’m monitoring closely the incoming US election, middle east tension, trade war issues between US, European and China, BRICS with agenda of de-dollarization and fundamental news of big economic countries.

This is kind of radar to know what to do. Crisis can be an opportunity to have big profit. For example, during Covid I got return for almost 500% / year. The early date of Crimea tension, I made around 150% capital gain from market.

As trader, we need to be sensitive to all events. It’s better if you can learn how to read fundamental data. It will help you to predict where the market will be driven to. When the time you have to manage a bigger fund, fundamental will be your compass.

As a beginner when the catastrophic events come, just stay away if you can’t see how to trade. During this time, all indicators will fail. Watch carefully at GBPUSD, on September 2022, market went down steeply. The same thing with crypto’s market crush. Started from 2022 by the failure of crypto-based companies such as LUNA’s, 3AC, FTX, etc. None indicator worked. Only fundamental based trader can have benefit from this situation.

These things need skill, you can learn them bit by bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like