I am not good at math, can I still be successful?

I used logarithms at school, but never since
Hated them with a vengeance

1 Like

Totally Agree, i mean where do we draw the line.
today itā€™s
Iā€™m not good at math, can i still be successful at trading

Tomorrow itā€™ll be
"i donā€™t really feel like trading, seems to be too risky, can i be successful at trading " :stuck_out_tongue:

I was unaware such a simple question would cause such a problem for you veteran traders. I will keep that in mind for the future.

comment Removed by Me (martin k) as a result of , i no longer care to help this OP since they donā€™t want to help themselves

No. You are incorrect on one point. I asked if I am not great at math can I still make it as a trader. I did NOT ask for someone to mentor me, I did not ask for any magic strategy or short cut to trading. I did not ask for anyone to baby me or give me all the answers to trading. I asked a very simple question. I am eager and willing to put in the work and time, I am not lazy. It seems to me that a lot of you are very bitter and not eager to help newbies and that discourages a lot of people from even beginning or trying Forex. Not me however! I have now been told what I need to learn in order to start trying to be successful so I plan on getting to it!

If you are truly annoyed by newbie questions, why are you even in this forum? those of you who get annoyed by my newbie questions should go answer questions in another more advanced section of the BP forums.

1 Like

Well you did get some decent answers mate.

When I was a lad down the pub, lads who couldnā€™t count 5 carrots could mentally add up their scores, take them away from 301 and tell you what trebles and doubles you needed to finish.

Down the Bookies, thay coud calculate a five horse accumulator or add up a round robin and tell you what change youā€™d get out of a pound.

If youā€™re serious, you WILL learn what arithmetic you need to get you the answers you want. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is pointless to continue fighting back and forth. I certainly have better things to do and I am pretty sure you do too. I know now what level of math I need to get started learning how to trade successfully, I am not a millennial nor a snowflake so I plan on doing it. Thank you to those of you who responded constructively. Good day/night.

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind wishes.

Youā€™re welcome
and in the futureā€¦ some Friendly adviceā€¦ ok

if you want the forum to be better , try understanding that itā€™s not our fault all the timeā€¦ ok
if you want a forum to be good, ITā€™S A TEAM EFFORT, itā€™s not just one side that stuffs it up

also
GO AND DO IT MATEā€¦ itā€™s as simple as that
GO AN BRUSH UP ON YOUR MATHā€¦ ok

if you donā€™t , YOU CANNOT TRADEā€¦ dontā€™ even try
if you do, youā€™ll Lose

hey for the recordā€¦ FYI
remember when i said to you, Iā€™ll even teach you if you want me to
i was also going to say , if you did it , iā€™ll give you $100 (Seriously)

and i would have ā€¦just to motivate you
but. you had to go and do all this, so now why would i do that ?

you said, what iā€™m saying Demotivates Newbies
well
How about What you said Demotivates me and makes me wish that i didnā€™t write 5000 words for nothing
how about that

Just something to think about mate. ok

We seem to have gotten our wires crossed. You seem like a good bloke and want to help so I appreciate that. I am very new to trading and have a lot to learn, however everyone has to start somewhere! I am open to any and all (constructive) advice. What I do not like is others in this forum telling me that I am filling this forum with trash simply by asking a newbie question in the section for newbies.

@TheTexan1984
Hi mate, iā€™m going to say something and I NEED YOU TO NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY , NO MATTER WHAT OK

itā€™s important you understand thisā€¦ ok

Now. in those past comments
I can assure you i was just trying to help you

Secondly the "slap to the head " thing, has been brought to my attention that you took that offensively.
I apologise if you did
Now. Text can sometimes cause confusion, i accept that, but Mate, that was a joke that was supposed get you to lighten up and understand what you were doing wrong.
clearly it didnā€™t come across that way. soā€¦ Sorry, itā€™s not what i meant

now my account was just blocked as a result of all this

and they were trying to figure out if i was being abusive to you or not.
I CAN ASSURE YOU I WAS NOT

Mate, from my point of view, i was helping you , i offered to teach you math on skype, i kept saying iā€™m not being rude.
I meanā€¦ what else can i say
anywayā€¦

it seems that you took everything i said as rudeness, THATā€™S NOT HOW I MEANT IT TO COME ACROSSā€¦ OK

now let me address your points.

yes, i would say that definitely happened

thank you and so do you and i understand about the math, i have friends who were in this situation, I GET ITā€¦
I"m not trying to publically embarrass you , iā€™m trying to help you, thatā€™s the purpose of the forum

iā€™m glad to hear that, but it really didnā€™t sound like it

i know that , and iā€™m here to help

exactly

Okā€¦ Honestlyā€¦ i really doubt that
but, OK. if you really mean that , then Iā€™LL HOLD YOU TO IT

weā€™ll get to that in a secondā€¦ ok

letā€™s addrress this first

butā€¦ i didnā€™t say that
i didnā€™t say you are filling the forum with trash, Nowā€¦ i didnā€™t re read the whole conversation, but i know that i donā€™t use the word TRASH i would use the word RUBBISH instead
i didnā€™t say that mate, and feel free to show me where i did
(and i mean this in a nice wayā€¦ ok)

now back to thisā€¦

Mate, this is awesome if you are
but i was giving you advice the whole time and you were not accepting it.

soā€¦ OK LETā€™S START AGAINā€¦ ok

in a nutshellā€¦ You were saying thisā€¦

and thatā€™s good
so my question numerous times wasā€¦

SO WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO DO IT ?

because iā€™ll tell you this for a fact
IF YOU DO , You have a pretty good chance of being successful

Math is a part of it
Psychology is a part of it
Emotions is a bit part of it

if you get these 3 things down you have a damn good shot at it
the math part just requires some brushing up on basic maths, thatā€™s all

soā€¦ if you can take advice
welll TAKE THIS ADVICEā€¦ GO AND DO IT NOW
and if you need help on math
PM ME ok
Iā€™LL HELP YOU, itā€™s not hardā€¦ ok

I apologize for the misunderstanding, but i was just trying to help you ā€¦ ok

Take care

From my point of view mathematics and forex arenā€™t directly related thatā€™s why you have a chance of success in this area. However the lack of thinking can interfere you with trading , there are some moments where your analytical abilities will be required. But itā€™s worth trying.

1 Like

i can respect that opinion even if i disagree with it
but let me add this to the mixing pot

even though i know luck doesnā€™t exist, but iā€™ve given up trying to convince people of it, you obviously think luck still plays a part

ok, letā€™s say it does
but, Your theory only applies if the market makers are fair and they are not doing anything to hinder the luck one might have
but i can assure you if an element of luck exists it has been squashed to almost non existence, thus bringing us back to the fact that we need to find a mathematical solution to this.
the other option is a fundamental solution, but you will encounter mathematics through the process regardless
just thought itā€™d throw that in for consideration :stuck_out_tongue:
be cool

Hi @TheTexan1984,

Can you understand the math in these ten posts?

1. Confused about position sizes and Account Margin Used
  2. What is the best leverage?
  3. Trouble undetrstanding Position Sizing
  4. Both buy and sell positions losing?
  5. How much units cost
  6. Pip value for 500 bucks on metatrader 4
  7. Trying to understand leverage and my own expectations
  8. Discussion on setting stops losses and risk management
  9. Etherium flash crash triggers stops and margin calls on GDAX
  10. Can someone tell me why this trend reverted exactly on my position candle!?!

Itā€™s a good message you have doneā€¦ thanks for the reply.

1 Like

I also think like you as maths is not much needed in forex you can do forex with simple maths calculation. Much important for my point of view is practice on choosing lot and finding right time for trading according to your trading style and capital.

Yes to be good at math is not a big deal in Fx trading to make sure a healthy trading life. Patience and practice is more important in here, because it a long term process to acquire success and thatā€™s why there is no way to ignore patience and practice.

1 Like

There is no way to ignore the importance of patience. but the main challenge is learning and practicing at the same time.

I can relate to this topic. Iā€™m also not so good at maths. Iā€™m still going through the school and it takes up so much time for me to grasp a concept. But I feel that we are not in a race anyway. With more time and effort even if Iā€™m not good in maths then Iā€™ll eventually get there. The important thing is understanding everything until the concepts taught stick.

2 Likes

Just like what @Pipcrawler said in his post here: Pipcrawlerā€™s Thoughts on Setting Newbie Expectations

:blush:

4 Likes