If you can go back to school and study another field, what would you study?

Hellooo! :blush: My husband’s super stressed with reviewing for his exams beside me :sweat_smile: so it just made me think. If I were to go back to school and study again, which field would I want to study. :thinking: And I recalled how I was super interested in psychology when I was in college. :sweat_smile: I’d probably do something related to psychology or marketing if I ever go back to school again. How about you guys? :smiley: And why?

5 Likes

I did Chemistry first time around. I think if I had to do it again I would do business and finance. It seems as if that field is still making money.

2 Likes

Physics – the mother of all sciences.

2 Likes

Interesting! :blush: Did you ever get to practice it? My husband also dabbled in Chemistry before switching to Chemical Engineering in college! :blush: Do you think that a degree business and finance can help with trading?

1 Like

Oh wow! :smiley: That’s such an intimidating field that I consider to be only for geniuses! :pray: Have you always been interested in the sciences? :smiley:

2 Likes

Financial institutions employing graduates as trainee trainers certainly don’t think so. They’re taking on people with degrees in mathematical and “hard science” subjects.

Degrees in finance and business don’t buy anyone an interview as a trainee trader. Not even top honours ones from top universities.

It was always this way, in investment banking, hedge funds and top financial institutions. These people know who they want.

(This didn’t really answer what you asked, though! :blush: ).

4 Likes

Yeah that makes sense. :sweat_smile: Although I used to think that Wallstreet and traders are all probably those with maths and finance degrees. :sweat_smile: If you were to go back to school though, is there anything you wanna study? :smiley:

1 Like

I just realized AI would be an interesting thing to study too! But I bet it’ll be full of complicated tech stuff I know nothing about. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think that physics can be explained in the way that everyone would understand. There are so many amazing videos on YouTube. I haven’t always been into physics. Unfortunately only long after school did I realize what I missed.

I did pharmaceutical research for a year as part of the degree but since leaving college I have been a computer programmer and systems administrator. Some of the people on the course got jobs in the chemistry industry, one is a professor at Oxford University doing drug related stuff.
I think that a business and finance type degree would have meant that I would be able to organise people and maybe run my own business. It would help me understand how finance operates and how to make money from money. Being able to calculate the molarity of a solution is fun but it does not pay the bills.

1 Like

You don’t really learn much at school
I managed to pass what was then ‘O-Level’ chemistry but only because I was a good odds compiler and the night before the exam I went through 10 years of past exam papers and worked out the probable odds of certain questions coming up.

When I left school I didn’t have a clue what I wanted to do - ‘be a jockey?’, father talked me out of that one!
School careers teacher suggested I liked animals, so I should work in a zoo.

Anyway, out of sheer despair, I finished up in my first job as a lab assistant in the chemisty lab of a rather large company.
After one week the chief chemist, who was a lovely guy, said ‘You don’t know what you are doing’. Of course, I agreed, so he said 'if I gave him 10-15 minutes of my lunch break he would bring me ‘up to speed’.
After one week (one hour) I could do chemical equations standing on my head.
He taught me more in one hour than I had learnt in six years and many lessons at school.

After one year in the chemistry lab, I finished up back at college and qualified as a school teacher.

OMG I hated ‘the system’, though I taught for three years and did get some very good results, I just couldn’t live with the indoctrination of children into an authoritarian system of control.

Sorry @ria_rose, I did not answer your question.

I wouldn’t go back to school :rofl:

4 Likes

I think maybe computer science/AI, these days - agreeing with your comments above. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, thinking about it, I did use my chemistry knowledge in the workplace. I worked for a school district as the network/computer guy. The science teacher was an ex operating room nurse who was one chapter ahead of the students and a couple of times she came into my office to ask me if I could do something for one of the chemistry classes. I ended up creating and supervising some labs as well as giving a talk on the periodic table.

1 Like

I’d focus more on computer science/physics. I was just curious but nothing more. I dedicated more time to photography, and I kinda regret it now. Physics is about reality. Know physics laws - know how reality is governed. And computer science - about applying physical principles in software design.

At schools we don’t have any choice, but when it comes to universities I would like to change my field. I did computer engineering, which is a really good one. However, it’s just the fact that I don’t enjoy it that really let me down later. I realised that I don’t like coding after my first year of studies, but continued thinking that I would like it eventually, but it never happened. During my studies I started trading, and over the years I got lots of knowledge in this sphere. I’m trading myself, and successfully was able to get payouts from a prop firm. Anyway, coming back to the question, I would change my major to finance, since I have more passion for it. I could apply to uni and study it, yet I think it’s too late for me to pursue it.

Electronic Engineering

Unlike general electrical engineering, which often deals with high-power, passive systems, electronic engineering focuses on low-power, active, and intelligent components.

Opportunities exist in sectors such as aerospace, telecommunications, robotics, and consumer electronics.

Tasks involve designing circuits, developing new electronic products, writing technical documentation, and testing prototypes.

Analog/Digital Electronics: Designing circuits and systems.

Embedded Systems: Integrating hardware and software.

Telecommunications: Developing communication systems.

Power Electronics: Managing electric power.

I think I’d study Philosophy.

It may not provide obvious vocational training, but it certainly has many other benefits.

The skills that philosophers develop, including the capacity to think logically about significant issues, to formulate arguments, to communicate clearly and to reason independently and flexibly are all of real long term value, whatever one’s occupation.

1 Like

Fine art, for me. For every thousand people there’s nine hundred doing the work, ninety doing well, nine doing good, and one lucky bastard who’s the artist.

2 Likes

I like both the replies just above, but I think I’d study atificial Intelligence and machine learning, to be honest.

This field’s essential both for driving future technological advancements and for improving how humans interact with technology.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty interesting question. If I were to go back to school, I would study most probably study law this time. I find the structure and logic of legal systems fascinating, and I appreciate how the law provides a framework for resolving complex societal issues. I know that it’s hard, but the challenge of constructing well reasoned arguments and the opportunity to advocate for others are aspects of the field that I would find very rewarding and interesting. AT the end of the day, it’s important to do your job and enjoy it. Otherwise, you would be doing it out of necessity.