If youre having a bad day (not trading related), do you still trade?

Lets say its a family problem or maybe some conflict at home or work that is distracting or making you feel bad. would you still trade that day or week?

1 Like

You can but it’s not advisable. In my experience, it has led to mistakes and losing trades. Being in that state usually means you don’t get enough sleep or eat well or don’t look after yourself to be at your optimum level. All the more reason to take a break until you are able to entirely focus. Even lower your position size or trade demo if you want to stay in the game.

I don’t trade intra-day so I’m never under much stress from trading. But I do my chart analysis, spreadsheet the chart features I track, work out the strongest and weakest pairs, highlight trade opportunities and adjust entry and exit order price levels every evening.

This is deliberately so mechanical that stress won’t affect the outcomes: everything I’m tracking is objective and usually binary. For example, price is either above the 50EMA or it isn’t - today’s high was either higher than yesterday’s or it wasn’t - etc… Add it all up and what I do next is totally defined.

3 Likes

If I see I am in consistent losses, I skip trading for the day and try to come back strongly later on.

1 Like

Hi, I personally could trade the same because I have a strategy that lets me no room for interpretation (I use EMAs: either the price is in the correct position to enter a trade or it isn’t, and that’s all). Anyway, if I were upset I think I 'd prefer not to trade for that day: ok, I’m sure that I would follow my rules, BUT I’m also sure that if I hit a stop it would upset me even more. So, I think that for me it would be better not to trade and to wait for my mood to calm. Of course this applies only to me, glad to see any different opinions.

yes of course, why not?!

i don’t really know how a problem at home/family should affect price and market.

your mind probably get affected by a bad day, this could be true… personally i am very emotionless so i “never” experience a bad mood (or a good mood) so i’ll always trade if my criteria are met.

but i think i know what you trying to figure out with that question… if you having a bad day you probably should first chill and calm down until your mental state becomes normal because i read and experienced that human beings are likely to make bad decisions and choices when they mix feelings with forex, math, science etc.

It’s like mixing vodka & milk😂 you can meditate or go for a walk for half hour and then watch the screen again and take a decision based on what you see, not what you feel.

hope this will help you and happy trading😊

3 Likes

You can if it doesn’t affect your focus. However, you should take some time off as you would with a 9 to 5.

No, if any brunt goes over me , I skip trading for the day because I believe mindset matters in Forex trading.

As I am not a professional trade and trade forex especially whenever I get time, I don’t trade under pressure.

• If you’re having a bad day in general, be it personal or job, don’t trade.
  • If you’re in your office trying to multitask your day job while day trading at the same time, don’t trade.
  • If you’re too happy for that for whatever reasons, don’t trade either.

Conclusion is, anything that doesn’t make you feel calm for that day. Don’t trade. Because trading requires attention and your mental should be in a good state to do the analysis. Otherwise, you will make too much errors and bad decisions.

1 Like

That’s amazing. Have you always been like this? Aka, are your parents/family like this too?

Nope, in situations like that, I’d lean towards not trading for the day or week. Trading requires focus, and getting into it with a distracted or down mindset is not a great idea. So, my general approach is to prioritize a calm and clear mindset for trading.

1 Like

You just need to ask a simple question: Is that situation going to influence the way you trading/thinking? If yes, don’t even try to trade.

2 Likes

hi, interesting question :thinking: i lost my dad when i was 6 or 7 years old i don’t really remeber if he was alike, my family lives in Italy i only see them trough phone, but they seem to be full of emotions just like my mother and sister. my lil brother however, is emotionless too, unless we talk about his cat or his cars then suddenly emotions appears haha

You know, emotional stability is crucial for decision making. If a personal issue is affecting my judgment, it’s wise to refrain from trading that day or week. Trading under distress can lead to poor decisions. It’s better to step back, address the personal matter, and return to trading with a clear mind. The markets will always be there, but trading emotionally can result in costly mistakes.

Smart question. Another thing you could probably follow that up with is “Can you control your emotions while trading?” But I guess someone can delude themselves into thinking yes, it’s possible.

Lol love how it’s the cats and cars that get him :joy:

Maybe your dad is kind of like you also and that’s where you get it from :slight_smile:

1 Like

My advice is obviously not going to be trade related as well then.

First of all, as a person, when it comes to everything you do in your life is absolutely related to your mindset if you want good results to come out of your endeavors. Your mindset is extremely important. It needs to be ironclad. It needs to be immune to getting clouded because of some external factors. My point is this: unless an ultimately unexpected and traumatic event has not happened, you should be able to focus on what really matters and cut out the noise. Good traders have self-control and self-discipline. They practice stoicism to focus on what’s important in the markets.

I would say it depends on how oppressed I’m feeling that day. If there was an extremely unpleasant situation which harshly impacted my mood, I’d better constrain myself from trading this day, cause whenever you feel supressed, you can’t con cetrate on the chart analysis as your mind is busy with sorting things out about the situation had happened.
I’m 100% sure it varies from person to person. There are such ones who don’t care at all and they can easily shift the focus on smth they really need at the moment.

When I’m having a bad day as soon as possible I will do something nce for someone else. Obviously, I ocld treat myself to a bowl of ice cream or a shot of Scotch or buy something electronic I don’t need but doing something extra nice has much more personal impact.

1 Like

If youre having a bad day (not trading related), do you still trade?

If you substitute the word trade with “Go to work” you will have my answer…a resounding yes!!!