Is it Coming Home?

We have come along way since the days of when the only black players were Viv Anderson, Cyril Regis and Laurie Cunningham.

To say they were troopers for the torrents of abuse they must have suffered at away games (all away games) is an understatement

These guys are true legends.

And after them the likes Barnesy, and Fashanus were also legends

I guess it was not until we started getting an influx of continental black players did fans start to become more tolerant.

To be honest though this current crop of black players, I have little time for their moaning.

They have got the world at their feet as @Falstaff pointed out as has Lewis Hamilton.

What does intrigue me is just how few professional players there are of Indian, Pakistani origin there are.

Having spent most of my earlier years in and around Preston, I used to see every Sunday morning pitch after pitch of Asian lads playing our national game in Deepdale.

Where are they represented in our league?

Where is the ā€˜diversityā€™?

The UK has a massive Asian population, but few if any Asian UK players - if I put on my conspiratorial hat I could say ā€˜institutional racismā€™.

I am sure many lads of South Asian descent must be thinking they are being overlooked due to race.

Regardless we have come a long way since the 1970s - black players are some of the best most talented players we have - and I donā€™t think many of us fans have a racist bone in our bodies.

With all that saidā€¦I grew up in a working class for the most part white environment in the industrial north.

I know how loosely the ā€˜nā€™ word can be used, along with the ā€˜cā€™ word and the ā€˜pā€™ word. I hate the terms - having been on the end of the ā€˜cā€™ word whilst growing up.

Itā€™s painful and thoughtless, but ten times more so if you are the only one of ethnnicity in the group .

However often these words are used as ā€˜banterā€™ - something is Brits are fond of. I donā€™t believe there is always malicious intent behind there use, just a bit of ignorance if anything.

But the minute you enter the world of football you are open to banter of all types. First and foremost footie always will be a working class, urban, clannish lads game, so taking away racism from an under educated or ignorant minority is not likely to happen any time soon.

That may offend a few Guardian or Independent readers (most of whom are probably more used to Wimbledon that footie) but it is what it is when you step into the arena of competitive sport.

As a final point I find it hilarious the very thought of being in the Kop end and trying to legislate to thousands of Liverpool supporters what they can and cannot say.

As a final final point one of my class mates at school was a member of the National Front and was a member of the Chelsea head hunters at 14 yrs old. He used to travel down to London every other week from outside Liverpool - he was by all metrics a racist - but one of his best mates was black.

Go figure.

2 Likes

I would say it is simply because Asian men tend to prefer cricket.
Lots of asian british in professional cricket, all the way up to the England squad.

Letā€™s not look for racism everywhere where it isnā€™t.

1 Like

Ive thought that too - but I think itā€™s a stereotype.

Certainly in the Sunday leagues at deepdale you could be forgiven for thinking most Asian youth prefer football

Could well be a stereotype but just because a lot play football does not mean more donā€™t play or prefer cricket?
Football is a much easier sport to participate in, much more accessible.

Iā€™ve come to learn that banter is taken to a whole new level by fans of English football, and not just the actual English. It very much is part of football. I didnā€™t understand this early on in my exposure to fans on social media and other sports sites. I canā€™t say whether is worse now or not from the times you talk about; I think with technology, more people are able to voice their opinions to a wider audience with greater ease.

1 Like

@forexforexforex

Not sure where you are from, but yes you are correct.

Banter with the Brits (not just English) can be very harsh.

In football itā€™s fair game for fans to use any tactic to put off the opposing teams player.

In fact using the odd N word is tame to the stuff that gets said at a football match.

It is what it is.

Can it offend? Damn right it can, should it stopped? Probably

No player gets let of the hook for poor performance though.

If you are from Liverpool you are a scouse cā€¦, if you are scottish you are a scots cā€¦, if you from London you are a southern w ā€¦

And of course if you are blackā€¦

I am from north of Liverpool (despite being a Man City fan).

I am routinely called a Scouser or referred to as a car thief. Is this racist?

Ironically if I were on the streets of Liverpool, Id be called a wooly back, or plastic Scouser.

True scousers would say ā€˜you fā€¦in woolā€™.

Mancs would greet me with ā€˜alright plasticā€™

Are these racist terms?

Northerners are routinely called Northern scum or northern monkeys by Londoners

Our retort is anyone from London is a ā€˜shandy drinking bā€¦ā€™

Banter, is very much part of who we are. And it is prized being able to both give and take it.

Which is why complaining about it (if you are an overpaid girls blouse who kicks a bag of wind around for a living) only makes it worse.

When I was at school I tried to shy away from the banter (not going to get into all that now), but as Iā€™ve got older Iā€™ve come to appreciate it alot more.

Fact is Brits dont really give a damn where you are from provided you show it with pride

2 Likes

Now thatā€™s a funny line.

US. Followed European football in my teens, starting with Arsenal, as thatā€™s what was on TV, and then migrated to mainly Bundesliga and Serie A, again as thatā€™s what was available to us State side. Threw some La Liga in there to round out the exposure. Big Ronaldinho fan.

Can you explain this?

Of the other colorful terms, Iā€™m only familiar with the term plastic, but I assumed this meant you were a fake or bandwagon fan, only there during the good times, gone when the team is down in the dumps. Is it deeper than that! Iā€™m an Arsenal fan since Henry and Wenger daysā€¦ so Iā€™ve been through a bit I think.

Thanks for the education. Iā€™ll have to find some football fans to practice on! Or not!

1 Like

Iā€™m from Devonā€¦people from London are Northerners as far as Iā€™m concerned!

1 Like

@Johnscott31
That like was from me, Iā€™m a scouser :men_wrestling: :+1:

1 Like

@Johnscott31 You mention your racist class mate whoā€™s mate was black.
My best friend could be taken for a racist by people who donā€™t know that his long time girlfriend is black !

@Johnny1974

And Iā€™m a wool.

The wokes just do not understand humour - Iā€™d bet many black people would have found Alf Garnett hilarious.

If you read the comments of any of the Youtube clips of the Scousers - many are Scousers who find them hilarious.

One of the best qualities of us Brits is the ability to laugh at ourselves. At least us northerners can.

Lol

1 Like

@Johnscott31 Yes I think a good piss taker will always have the class to accept having the piss taken out of them.

Iā€™m from Cornwallā€¦people from Devon are Northerners as far as Iā€™m concerned!

1 Like

haha love it!