Learn to Trade using VSA (volume spread analysis)

Most traders are aware of the two widely known approaches used to analyze a market, fundamental analysis and technical analysis. Many different methods can be used in each approach, but generally speaking fundamental analysis is concerned with the question of why something in the market will happen, and technical analysis attempts to answer the question of when something will happen.

There is, however, a third approach to analyzing a market. It combines the best of both fundamental and technical analysis into a singular approach that answers both questions of �why� and �when� simultaneously; this methodology is called volume spread analysis. The focus of this article is to introduce this methodology to the trading community, to outline its history, to define the markets and timeframes it works in, and to describe why it works so well.

What is Volume Spread Analysis?
Volume spread analysis (VSA) seeks to establish the cause of price movements. The �cause� is quite simply the imbalance between supply and demand in the market, which is created by the activity of professional operators (smart money). Who are these professional operators? In any business where there is money involved and profits to make, there are professionals.

The activity of these professional operators, and more important, their true intentions, are clearly shown on a price chart if the trader knows how to read them. VSA looks at the interrelationship between three variables on the chart in order to determine the balance of supply and demand as well as the probable near term direction of the market. These variables are the amount of volume on a price bar, the price spread or range of that bar (do not confuse this with the bid/ask spread), and the closing price on the spread of that bar

he market is in one of four market phases: accumulation (think of it as professional buying at wholesale prices), mark-up, distribution (professional selling at retail prices) or mark-down. The significance and importance of volume appears little understood by most non-professional traders. Perhaps this is because there is very little information and limited teaching available on this vital part of chart analysis. To interpret a price chart without volume is similar to buying an automobile without a gasoline tank. For the correct analysis of volume, one needs to realize that the recorded volume information contains only half of the meaning required to arrive at a correct analysis. The other half of the meaning is found in the price spread (range).

Volume always indicates the amount of activity going on, and the corresponding price spread shows the price movement on that volume. Some technical indicators attempt to combine volume and price movements together, but this approach has its limitations; at times the market will go up on high volume, but it can do exactly the same thing on low volume. Prices can suddenly go sideways, or even fall off, on exactly the same volume! So there are obviously other factors at work on a price chart. One is the law of supply and demand. This is what VSA identifies so clearly on a chart: An imbalance of supply and the market has to fall; an imbalance of demand and the market has to rise.

Here’s a video of VSA traded live YouTube

It’s rude to cut and paste without acknowledging the source.
In this case you’ve taken it straight from:
Trade Using VSA (Volume Spread Analysis) @ Forex Factory
or
Current Issue

Next time I suggest that you make it known where you take stuff from.

Other than that I agree that VSA is a very worthwhile approach to trading.

great, thanks for the tip I’ll remember that next time

heres a live video of me trading vsa

The video is pretty dark, don’t know if you can do something about that. Switch background to white maybe?
Noticed you have some text, yellow bar, S&R lines…
Could you show a close up picture of the chart and explain it?

Nyse1982,
can you explain a bit more on a VSA chart instead of video?

How many here in Babypips tried, or still using VSA?

I use it as part of my analysis.

VSA is well discussed on other forums. A quick search of the net will deliver volumes of information. ( pun intended ) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I know that since I was looking on the net too, and DL the “better volume” plus read some.
I am more interested in Babypips member answers then FF.
Also I wanted to bring it to the first page, maybe NYSE1982 is answering one way or an other.

Sure no problem, VSA is about analyzing background information on a chart and looking for VSA setups to determine to go long or short.

In this chart USD/CHF, I’ve highlighted a vsa signal called upthrust, which indicates weakness or s/m putting a cap on the market. This is used to trick weak holders into thinking pair is going higher all the while s/m knows weakness is in the background. The area following the upthrust is called distribution which is wear s/m distributes the remaining currency before removing there support of the market. After s/m removes itself from the market it falls.

The lines I use are Math-Murray Lines or similiar to pivot points, I use a VSA teacher volume to give me accurate representation of volume.Hopefully this helps, I give mentorship one on one on how to learn VSA just email me for more details

Most of the stuff on the internet is posted from tradeguider the VSA software and from hawkeye which is another software. Also, I post alot of things also and I’ve written articles about VSA on wikipedia under Foreign exchange market under technical analysis. The fact is people don’t pay attention to volume in the forex most people who trade meta trader use indicators but following price action is the true way to determine market direction

here’s another example, from a 1tf for EUR/USD the long red down bar is stopping volume which s/m absorbed selling. The following activity after the S/V is accumulation phase is when S/M accumulates a pair before the markup phase. As you can see I was buying heavy during the accumulation phase also.

Ahh

I trust that mentorship is free of charge then? - since you naturally know that selling services or other stuff here isn’t allowed?

It’s prohibited on here but I sell those services through my blog, which is separate from BP. Obviously people who see my threads see my live video and charts and will want more information, so there is nothing wrong with that.:smiley:

I see, so there was a reason why you joined BP and copy pasted VSA stuff.

Looking for some clients maybe?

I sincerely dislike that kind of sneaking behavior. State what you’re about instead: “Hi, I think I’m really good at VSA trading and I’m here to drive some traffic to my blog and get some paying customers”

Sorry if you think I’m coming on hard but you’re not exactly the first of this kind and it get’s tiresome posting like I do now, so that newbies understand what people like you are after.

Since the whole reason you’re here seems to be to drive people to your business, it’s actually not OK IMO, but that’s up to admin.

If your serious about learning VSA in more details just skype me nyse1982

You don’t get me at all do you? :rolleyes:

I prefer to learn without pouring money into other peoples pockets… Strangest thing is that it works very well also!

People like me? Excuse me, I’ll have you know “no disrespect” but you don’t know me personally and secondly, I’m here to educate and make people aware about a trading strategy…when you take a course in college, I’m guessing you can just take a free course? Please hold your judgement especially if you don’t know me personally.