London Breakout Strategy - 1H Timeframe Modified

Thank you ‘tommor’. Had a peep in settings and nothing in there to indicate which
price they use for charts.

Cloud…thanks for more enlightenment and when I get my yacht I’ll sail all the way down to Brisbane and buy you several pints.

4 Likes

Hi Cloud! :blush: Just wanted to drop by again and say that it’s really nice to see how you’re so open to questions and concerns! :smiley: Haha. :slight_smile: Wishing you all the best!

3 Likes

Thank youu :smiley: I do try to be as helpful as I can. No reason not to help others especially in these times.

4 Likes

Hello, below are my trades from yesterday Tuesday 30 June 2020.

There are a few interesting things which I will explain at the end of this post after the results.

GBPJPY - WON +$65

GBPUSD - WON +$58

EURGBP - WON +$300

EURUSD - NO TRADE

Overall: 3/3 with 1 hitting TP and 2 closed in partial profits - 100% rate! $423 in profit for the day/night.

There are a few things I would like to address here:

Winning Run - I have been winning since last week and this is actually quite rather unusual. I am definitely not complaining but in times like this, I must stay disciplined with my overall trading behavior. I am personally expecting a lost soon either that’s a losing day, or days or even week as in this game, nothing is 100%. But by doing this I will not be shocked or surprised when it hits. And with the nice winning run, I can afford (even though I don’t want to) a few losing trades now.

Set Your Own Rules (AND FOLLOW THEM!) - The initial strategy of this I found was never the way I am trading it now. I modified it to suit me and I set rules and I follow them religiously.

You can see in the above trades, it was shown clearly.

For GBPJPY and GBPUSD, I saw a massive breakout of the range. I knew the buying power was strong so instead of setting my SL at the usual other end of the range which would have been ridiculously big, I only set it at the middle of the range. Which saved me in pips and earn me a few more $ on those trades. If it decides to pull all the way back inside the range, I just have to accept that it’s a ridiculous fakeout and accept the lost. That’s my decision after all.

For EURUSD, I saw it had massive movements right before the market open which cause the range to be very big, so I was being very cautious with it and decided not to trade it at all. After the big movement, it seemed to just move around in the range shown quite a bit of rejection to the bottom of the range and did not want to move clearly, it finally decided to breakout but not strongly enough to convince me to go for it.

This is how you can adopt a strategy and make it work for you and for you to personally become a better trader in your own journey!

4 Likes

Some good results there. I too have had a successful time running the breakout strategy on GBPJPY and GBPUSD especially. Here is today’s trade. Let me know if you want details of my strategy. I find there are less fakeouts ond the cable than gbpjpy, but still, both performing well.

3 Likes

Hey Sam,

Nice trade, thanks for the comment and yes, would love to hear how you trade your version of the breakout. Looks from the chart there you might be having an EA doing it? Also looks like your range is more than the last 3 candles of the Asian session compare to my strategy. Interesting!

WD again Cloud. I have another dummy question and I swear this is the final one. Am I correct is saying your SL is determined by the size of the RANGE,
Example…Say the highest price of the 3 early candles (5, 6 and 7 am) is 9080.0 and the lowest price of candle 3 is 9060.0, does this give you a SL of 20?
Seems a bit too tight but what do I know?
Conversely a wider range might give us a killer SL.

Hey Mick, what you are saying is PARTIALLY correct.

My SL is determined as the distance from the ENTRY POINT to THE OTHER SIDE of the range (so if I sell, SL will be at the high of the determined range and vice versa) rather than just the range from top to bottom of the last 3 candles of the Asian session.

And yes, depending on how the market has moved before the London session starts, sometimes the SL can be tight (as low as 10, 15 or 20 pips however, regardless it’s still the top and bottom of the range so if it breaks out and decide to reverse like crazy, that just mean 2 things - either it was a fakeout, or the market is ranging which we cannot do anything about.

Smaller and tighter SL also means smaller TP (1.5 R:R) = easier and quicker to hit TP.

Once a trade hit SL, I don’t reenter even if it breaks through to the other side, just accept the lost for the day/night. This will save you when the market is ranging and swing back and forth in the range.

Hope this make sense :smiley:

1 Like

Yes it makes sense and this is my understanding of it if I can give this LIVE example.
(On Demo of course) I just sold EUR/USD entering at 11209 while the highest price of the Asian candles was and is 11234.
My S/L would be 25 with T/P at 40 (rounded up from 37.5)

Hey Mick, I’m in this trade with you too :laughing:

Depending on the broker of course, my SL is about 29 pips and TP at 43.5. I didn’t round it but you can, just personal preference.

So you are definitely on the right track there! Congrats!

Thanks Cloud. It took a long time but your tutorial skill and patience has paid off
eventually. I presume the size of the S/L has a huge bearing on the success or failure of the trade? Can we presume that the historical movement of the pair is related to the size of the RANGE?
Yes, I know that I promised to STFU but …you understand?

Hey Mick, not a worry at all and feel free to ask as many questions as you want, don’t hesitate, I’m only here to help.

And yes, pretty much, to be more precise, the movement of the last 3 candles of the Asian session will determine how big the range will be. Sometimes, like one of my trade yesterday, when there are too much movements and there is a huge range to work with and the breakout is not very strong or clear, I steered clear of that pair for the day, just to be safe.

The range will determine the SL and hence determine the TP so yes, the smaller the range the quicker and shorter the TP will be of which would be easier to acheive.

Regardless, once I have decided to enter the trade, I forget about it and deal with it when I get up in the morning.

Thanks Cloud…I hope you can point me in the direction of a safe deep water harbour in Brisbane where I can tie up my Yacht next year…LOL
I might even fly down in my private jet.

4 Likes

pls can you kindly show me any of your todays chats i want to set mine with my brokers time. thanks

1 Like

Hi Cloudninee,
I should have said it was GBPUSD that the pic represented. Today was another nice win, see below. Indeed, you are right - it is an EA I’m running. Testing it on live and it’s changed £100 in to £128 in four days so it’s either beginner’s luck or I’m on to something :wink:
The EA has a lot of features on it. You can define the window by which to find the high and the low, as well as the offsets above and below the high and the low before entry. Of course take profit and stop loss can be entered, along with lot size. It also has other features like trailing stop and Martin Gale. I am not running a trailing stop yet but I think it could work with this pair. The EA currently closes trade as 6pm (GMT+1) as it often seems to reverse a little after that. I am not working with any moving averages etc but open to any ideas/suggestions…
I have GBPJPY running with Martingale on the same EA, and that is running well but it is a little risky of course. Anyway here is the GBPUSD today:

2 Likes

Hey thank you vey much for sharing this.

I have also been looking at tweaks to the strategy. May I ask which currency pair have you had the most success with?

Also… I have also found to best avoid Monday and Friday as my win rate does improve. Do you have the same experience with your tweaked strategy?

1 Like

It means that the ratio of his take profit to stop loss is 1.5: 1 . I.e for every 1.5 TP, there is 1 SL
You could read up risk management to understand it better

1 Like

Hi Cloudninee
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

You are very welcome and hopefully it can be of help to you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I notice when you do your ranges…all 3 candles are inside the range…what if 1 candle is outside already before open?

1 Like