London Breakout Strategy - 1H Timeframe Modified

If you search London Breakout here on Babypips you will actually find another guy I think his name was “jota9913”. He actually has a thread and a video explaining his strategy which is a 15m time frame strategy.

He uses the high and low of the WHOLE asian session to determine the range and once broken, he moves with the market every 20 pips, locking in profits as it moves where he can and he also has a strategy to trade fakeouts if it happens.

Only downside to this I find, is you have to stick your eyes to the screen ALL THE TIME. I don’t like that and it’s never my style and hence why I don’t use it.

Thank you Jatha1, appreciate your input and recommendation. I will have a look into it although I don’t 100% trust EAs - hahaha.

Hi Jruthe,

Thank you for your comment.

There is no set magic number, it all comes down to the trader to decide.

But if you ask me personally, take a look at EURGBP and EURUSD yesterday as perfect examples. I did not trade them yesterday as they were moving a lot BEFORE London opens.

Thanks- I am going to try this strategy in demo next week and see how I go.

1 Like

Hello @Cloudninee,

I’m creating an EA using your strategy but I’m getting few issues to deal with.

1. What do you do when the first candle of the London session breaks out of both highest and lowest value of the 3 candles? Do you open trade for both buy and sell or just the first that breaks out?
  2. There are times that the candle breaks the low but then it closed above the highest of the 3 candles, where do you put the SL since if you open an order, the open price is higher than the highest of the 3 candles?

Thanks!

I have put details of the EA on mql5. You can “test” it on demo for free. Search for “London Breakout MQL5 Samuel” or something like that, if you are interested in seeing how it works. It’s the one with the Big Ben clock on the front!! You can run it on visual mode and watch its behaviour. Performs best on GBPUSD but i’ve not had the time to test across all potential.

1 Like

Its when the first candle CLOSES outside the range that Cloud buys or sells.
He explains all this in his very first post and a few times after to dummy old me.
Hope this helps.

Thanks @Mickbuffet2.

I made an EA out of this and made a quick backtest from 01/01/2019 until present on EURUSD but the result is not good for me.

Test.ex4 (13.2 KB)

1 Like

I’m not trying to start a fight and I really hope that those who use this strategy are making good profits. Maybe there just other factors that they consider and not simply following the rules mentioned.

So have you found any profitable system or method of trading with this EA?
Please forgive if that’s another one of my dummy questions.

Not sure if I understood. As mentioned, I created a trading robot using the trading system discussed here, and it did not give me a profitable result. Yes, I have trading robots or EAs that are profitable for me so far.

Would you consider sharing ?

@Mickbuffet2, I’m afraid not. It’s a profitable system now but if it stopped working, I just don’t want to get blamed for it. I can help if you think you have a system you want to code and then maybe we can test it out. It’s better that way so you can have the decision after the backtest.

Thank you Champ.
What I should have said is have you tested any of the systems or strategies posted here on BabyPips and found them profitable?
Then you can’t be blamed for anything.

Hi ChampionChan, thanks for the comment.

1. As London opens and it breaks the range of the last 3 candle of the Asian session and CLOSE, then I enter a trade in that direction.

2. SL is at the other end of the range and TP is 1.5 R:R.

Feel free to refer to my very first post for more info if needed :smiley:

Hi, thanks for sharing.

I don’t like EAs - there, I said it.

It’s nice because it takes out all the emotion in trading but, it does not have instince like we do. As a trader, that can be a double-edged blade however, I find it to be helpful and important.

There are too many rules I set for myself that if codean EA it would hate me for it. Certain rules such as if it breaks out too little on a massive range I’d not enter, or if the market has moved a lot before London open I would not enter etc.

For me, so far it’s a profitable system, you can refer to all my trades I have posted here and even backtest it yourself to find out.

Testing an EA is tough because you don’t know if you have coded it correctly or if you even read the initial instruction right and then if you have coded it in right.

1 Like

I’m sure I have coded it right as you mentioned. I even went back to the trades opened to confirm it’s valid.

As I was saying, you have other rules or scenarios that you consider that may or may not be quantified and coded to the EA. These are not filtered that’s why the EA took all of the trades possible using the bare rules mentioned. We do have different opinions and I understand that. For me, it’s backtest results and numbers that matter to me. Past results may not be an indication that the EA will be successful but on the psychology side, it helps as an assurance that it can give you a better chance of winning in the future. It gives me more peace of mind than being a discretionary trader.

1 Like

Honestly, @Mickbuffet2. Now that you mentioned it, no, I have not found any strategy here that is profitable when translated to EA. But there are pieces on the strategy that works when combined with other strategies. Like getting the entry then combine it with the risk management and exit of another strategy. So I guess it is still yes because one of the EAs that I use on live trade now, part of it is actually from a strategy I got from a thread here. :laughing:

Thanks Champ, but I’m no wiser now than I was two hours ago :smiley:

What I would advise is for you to understand yourself more and what your situation is. Can you trade all day as you have no work? Then day trade. Do you want few trades in a week? Swing trade. Are you too emotional on every trade? Algorithmic trading. Do you want to get big wins? Trend following. Do you want quick wins? Mean reversion trade. Long term? Position trading. It really depends on your personality. Once you know your current situation, then you can focus on what strategy to look for.