MartialChartsFX - Thoughts, Charts, and Journey Journal

$500 Account Challenge Tuesday 12/05/2023

First setup missed. This would have been the sniper entry that I was looking for. Unfortunately price did not give me the confirmation that I was looking for at the zone.

Ended up not taking any additional trades for the day. Sometimes sitting on your hands is the best decision instead of chasing lower probability trades because you missed an entry on a good one.

Positions taken: 0 (18 total)
Wins: 0 (16 total)
Losses: 0 (2 total)
Pips: 0 (125.1 total)
P/L: 0 ($132.86 total)
Balance: $632.86

$500 Account Challenge Wednesday 12/06/2023

I opened 6 sell positions on GBPUSD: 6 small wins

Opened 3 positions while attempting to open 5 but 2 of my clicks didn’t register, which in this case allowed me to get the next 2 entries at a higher (better) price. After I was about $50 into profit, I moved my SL into profit. Price almost came to my first TP and then reversed back to hit my stop losses. Today I gave most of the money back. Not happy with this today. I have to think on this practice of risk management versus profit maximization.

After my stop losses took me out in profit and price was back near my original entry. I opened another position, which was impulsive and after a little thought decided that I would re-evaluate before re-entering and closed that trade within seconds in a small profit. This was a good decision. While I still lean bearish for today, price has entered a range and that’s when us retail traders get chopped up by the banks.

I didn’t even notice this before but my running profit was 61.80 when I took this screenshot, ha ha.

Later on I get to watch price finally breakout and hit all my TP’s.

I feel good about my analysis. I feel crappy about moving my SL into profit and at the same time I feel good about not moving my stop loss back based on my rule that the stop loss should only advance and never retreat.

Positions: 6 (24 total)
Wins: 6 (22 total)
Losses: 2
Pips: +22.5 (147.6 total)
P/L: + $18.30 ($151.16 total)
Balance: $651.16

$500 Account Challenge Thursday 12/07/2023 - 12/08/2023

I opened 5 sell positions on GBPUSD: 5 small wins

This was a rough trading day. Spent most of it in drawdown. First I’m going to start off with the lesson learned today. Don’t Chase A Trade.

What I wanted and planned for:

What I got instead:

I wasn’t chasing, and this was my preferred setup of a Stop Hunt + BOS + Return to POI. This trade agreed with my higher time frame bearish bias and was at a zone. I looked at it as a second chance opportunity that was supported by my analysis.

The entry was good on the 15 second timeframe, so I thought. Everything checked out structure wise and I saw what I needed to be comfortable entering. This is what it looked like at the time of entry:

This is what happened after I entered:

I ended up spending the next 16 hours in drawdown as price initially went against me and then went into a range until breaking out bearish at 2 AM EST. It crossed my mind to stay in the trade because I still was confident in my analysis.

The reasons I took a little profit towards this challenge were:

1. I was 15 minutes before the London session and having traded that session before I know the 3 AM candle can sometimes take price in a different direction.
  2. NFP is tomorrow. If by chance I get stuck in a range again, NFP can make things go crazy and I didn’t feel it was worth the risk.
  3. Part of the small profit was a disciplinary action against myself for going against what I told another trader after missing the first trade. I said I probably won’t be trading during London/New York today. And I ended up trading then end and almost the beginning of London session to recover.

This trade cut my profit but it was basically cutting my drawdown.

Not a fun day of trading, especially sweating out the insane spreads that happen at 5 PM EST. I’m taking Friday off in celebration of NFP and will get back at the charts on Monday.

Positions: 5 (29 total)
Wins: 5 (27 total)
Losses: 2
Pips: +34.2 (181.8 total)
P/L: + $30.70 ($181.86 total)
Balance: $681.86

Post NFP: Looks like this trade would have been safe to hold and would have gained at least 60 pips. The supply zone gave an additional entry and price reacted from the higher time frame demand zone.

I feel like this is my personal trading journal even though it’s open to the public. I assume that some members here may take a look. To give some context to this $500 account challenge, for me it’s a personal mission.

As you can see in MyFXBook, I haven’t traded since February 2023 until November 2023. My career demands prevented me from being available to trade. Working 12-14 hour each day and being on call 24 hours a day/7 days a week for 18 months without a day off, left my brain too exhausted to even be able to analyze the charts. Not to mention that 9 months away from trading leaves a lot of rust. The only thing that kept me going was marking up the charts every single day, no matter if I could see a setup or not.

This is a personal challenge for me to build back my confidence in my analysis and to get more repetitions to restore my skills. So you will see some mistakes and some sloppy trades as I move towards restoring my skills.

What I have found is that trading in the public is more difficult that losing money in private. Our peers tend to hold us to a higher standard in this industry. It’s easier to take a loss that no one else knows about than to post your pre-trade analysis not knowing if it will be right or wrong, or to post proof of your results. Doing this challenge publicly is a psychological stress test and it forces me to bring my “A”-game every day I enter the market, even if my current rusty A-game is minor league level.

2 Likes

With the 2 losses so far in this challenge, I had the direction correct on both, but the entries wrong. I could have had a larger stop loss and waited out the drawdown and won both of those trades.

USDCAD Sell (I can’t explain why I experimented with breakout trading, it’s not my trading style)

GBPUSD Buy (price went below the Rally-Base-Rally Demand zone then rallied)

Your determination is inspiring. It’s great to see that you kept at it even if you were so busy with your career.

Seeing your progress as you restore your skills is very helpful to a newbie like me who hasn’t even started trading. It gives me a realistic expectation of what I will have to go through as I develop my skills. Thank you for sharing your journal and taking on the pressure to bring your A game.

1 Like

Thanks for tuning in. Trading is a never ending journey of learning, refinement, and enlightenment. Good luck on your journey, I wish you success.

1 Like

Great stuff! I’m enjoying this thread.

Not sure how you deal with that 15 second chart, but you seem to manage it well.

Thanks for tuning in. I upgraded to TradingView’s Premium plan during the Black Friday sale and started looking at the second time frames last month. It’s not that bad as long as you keep it in context that it’s only 15 seconds. I’m not comfortable going any lower just yet. The 15 second chart is fast as hell.

As a GBPUSD trader, I don’t approve of next week’s economic news Tuesday through Friday. I don’t particular care for trading on Mondays in general.

Note to self - Be very careful next week.

$500 Account Challenge Monday 12/11/2023

No trades taken. I stayed up way too late going down the rabbit hole of YouTube which resulted in waking up equally too late to get into the market. Not being a big fan of Mondays in the market, I didn’t cry over it.

$500 Account Challenge Tuesday 12/12/2023

Opened 3 sell positions on GBPUSD on what appeared to be a good entry as price started making lower highs and lower lows at the zone on the lower time frames. I told myself this past weekend that I wouldn’t trade this week after Monday. Having missed Monday for oversleeping and multiple errands. I went against my word to myself and traded anyway.

As the trade taking me into drawdown, I remembered my words and remembered that words have power and there is nothing worse than breaking a promise made to oneself. When price came out of drawdown, I exited. This trade may end up going the intended direction, but the time was not the time and there is not a good reason to go against my first instinct to sit on my hands this week with GBPUSD.

Today was nothing to write home about and doesn’t even seem worth writing in this journal, but I plan on keeping the same energy when it doesn’t go my way as when it does.

Positions: 3 (32 total)
Wins: 3 (30 total)
Pips: + 6.0 (187.8 total)
P/L: + $3.90 ($185.76 total)
Balance: $685.76

The next day after my crappy GBPUSD trade from Tuesday 12/12/2023

Yesterday, I trusted my analysis, but lost faith in my stop loss. :cry:

Glad to start a new week after what was ‘News’ Week this past week.

EURUSD H4 Potential Outlook. Not sure about the path down (dashed line). I really want to see if the next COT report reflects this analysis. The last report from 12/12/2023 showed more Non-Commercials committing to short positions and less committing to long positions from the prior week.

I think it gets down to 1.06 before going back to 1.1000-1.1100.

I noticed SMT Divergence with EURUSD (made a lower high) and GBPUSD (made a higher higher).

Same case with EURUSD (made a lower high) and AUDUSD (made a higher high)

I also noticed SMT Divergence between EURUSD (made a lower high) and USDX/DXY (made a lower low).

In all cases EURUSD should have made a higher high, which tells me that it is showing some weakness.

I don’t trade with SMT Divergence, but I can recognize it. I haven’t done any back testing on SMT Divergence so I have no data on what is likely to happen when EURUSD diverges from USDX/DXY. It take a little concentration to process divergence between assets that are inversely correlated, it’s so much easier when they are positively correlated.

When USDX/DXY and EURUSD are not diverged:

USDX/DXY lower highs and lower lows
EURUSD higher lows and higher highs

USDX/DXY higher lows and higher highs
EURUSD lower highs and lower lows

Looking back at this planned out trade in hindsight, I expected that price could react to the upper zone with a short term rally that wouldn’t break the high but then would reach down to the lower zone, if it didn’t just blow right through the zone. The lower zone held more weight in my opinion

We don’t always get what we want.

I’m still going to keep my eye on the lower zone in the future. For now I’ll see what market has to offer this week.

I can see that GBPUSD is approaching the MPL on the Daily and from there I expect a sell off.

If EURUSD continue to diverge from GBPUSD and AUDUSD, it may help EURGBP and EURAUD to trend, so I’ll be watching those as well.

$500 Account Challenge Monday 12/18/2023

I didn’t see a clear setup to my liking on GBPUSD but I did see a very clear setup on USDCAD and I literally watched it go into my zone and immediately reverse all the way to my TP without any confirmation at all. Infuriating, but I tried to let it go and didn’t try to get a second bite of the apple.

This was the USDCAD fish that got away:

This is what I would have caught if I took a second bite at the sell:

After missing the bus on USDCAD and not being overly thrilled with GBPUSD which was also moving weird to me. I looked at EURUSD to see how the SMT divergence was affecting the currency and found a supply setup.

At time of entry:

At time of exit

I was originally targeting the 11.8% Fib level as my exit and on MT4 a candle crossed my TP but the spread on EURUSD was a little wider than I’m used to on GBPUSD so it didn’t trigger my TP.

I had concerns about the Equal Highs above my supply zone so I accounted for that with my Stop Loss, which still left the trade just a little over 1:1 even with closing manually.

I decided to manually close based on the following reasons as much as I wanted to let the TP get hit:

• This was really a counter trend trade based on my analysis.
  • I already had 50 pips in the bags between my 5 positions
  • I crossed the $700 threshold (don’t ask why the uneven numbers bothered me since last week)
  • Price appeared to form a morning star at my untriggered TP
  • It was getting later in the afternoon and volume would decline
  • It’s Monday and I’m still not a fan of Monday trading

Risk management wise, I didn’t move my SL to breakeven or at all, but I did actually use a lot size that would represent a 2.5% risk. My other trades in this challenge have risked up to 25%. I was getting myself into the bad habit of being cavalier about risk management and after some soul searching this weekend, I plan on making an effort to stay under 5% risk per trade. Greed makes that part hard to do.

After the fact, it appears as though closing was the right decision since price has made a double bottom at my TP without hitting my original target according to TradingView.

Positions: 5 (37 total)
Wins: 5 (35 total)
Pips: + 54.6 (242.4 total)
P/L: + $15.33 ($201.09 total)
Balance: $701.09

1 Like

Something is forming with JPY

USDJPY 4H

GBPJPY 4H

EURJPY 4H

AUDJPY 4H

CADJPY 4H

NZDJPY 4H

CHFJPY 4H

$500 Account Challenge Tuesday 12/19/2023

After getting left in the dust yesterday by USDCAD, I caught a USDCAD trade this morning, and then I fumbled a nice trade solely on human error. 100% my fault that I didn’t catch all of this trade. I’m disappointed in myself because this was an unforced error that didn’t have to occur. I feel like I’m trying to tackle Barry Sanders when trading USDCAD for some reason. The weakest link in any trading system is the human that operates it.

I opened 1 position initially and after price put me into drawdown, I opened 3 more at a better price.

At time of entry:

At the time of exiting the trade. I exited because it was 8:25 AM and I expected CAD news to drop at 8:30 AM (at least that’s what I thought I read)

Then this happens at 8:30 AM:

So I went back and checked the news and that’s when I realized that it wasn’t for another hour. I jumped out too early because I read the number 9 as an 8.

I have positions open on 3 different pairs that are not counted here since they aren’t closed. I’ll post those after the trades are finalized.

Positions: 4 (41 total)
Wins: 4 (39 total)
Pips: + 25.8 (268.2 total)
P/L: + $8.24 ($209.33 total)
Balance: $709.33

$500 Account Challenge Thursday 12/21/2023

This has definitely been a rough week so far. I botched a USDCAD trade because I can’t read. I had early exits on trades on CADJPY, AUDJPY, NZDJPY because of sheer frustration and impatience. While those trades are playing out as analyzed, I just had enough of the super slow price movement. I mentioned these JPY pairs in this journal and I wish someone would have said that I would need the patience of Job to trade them. The drawdown wasn’t a killer but I don’t like holding in drawdown overnight.

AUDJPY

CADJPY

NZDJPY

I got knocked out of CADJPY in the middle of the Tuesday night/Wednesday morning after my Breakeven EA moved my stop loss after I was 20 pips in profit, then price retraced and I woke up to a closed trade. AUDJPY did the same Wednesday morning. Then I was left with NZDJPY, a combo of two currencies that I’m not a fan of but the setup was consistent with what I saw across most of the JPY pairs. NZDJPY kept me in consolidation and drawdown almost the entire trade and it was infuriating. It wasn’t worth the frustration, so as soon as it went back into profit I closed the trade and then closed the chart window on that pair. I was confident in the analysis and could have let it run, but I was too scorned and I didn’t feel the trade was worth occupying space in my head.

My next trade yesterday was also a mistake (hey I’m not perfect). On EURAUD 15Min, I thought I saw a familiar setup and it did meet all the criteria except that in my haste, I didn’t do proper analysis.

This was an ordinary and clean supply setup that looked almost normal. I was concerned about the equal highs (liquidity) above the zone but I would wait for confirmation to enter. It came in a perfect evening star pattern so I entered.

Now I have to walk through this process of post-entry clarity. After hitting the button my vision became much clearer.

Once price violated my zone, I realized that the path shown in the black arrow was not the real setup and I thought that the red arrow was setup on further analysis, which would have been a break and retest that had confluence with my corrected fib.

And unfortunately my vision became even clearer upon further review after I was already in the trade. I didn’t zoom out or go to a higher time frame to see the big picture. The market range of the black and red arrows were just the tip of the iceberg. The blue arrow was the correct setup and market range which meant that I entered this trade selling at a discount.

This was me fighting the tongue (black arrow setup) and missing the whole Alaskan Bullworm (blue arrow setup)

So I was stuck wondering if I should abandon the trade (if it really is a bullish setup) or try to salvage the trade (if I was right about selling). The new analysis still supported selling, so I moved my stop loss (shame on me, I know) to accommodate the correct analysis and entry zone and removed my take profit levels and installed an EA that can move my SL to breakeven and also trail my stops. The EA used on CADJPY and AUDJPY didn’t trail the stop loss.

EURAUD exit point.

The trailing stop knocked me out at breakeven or rather 2 pips in profit per the settings after price retraced. I considered getting back in, but I want to avoid compounding the original bad analysis. Besides I got out with more pips than I showed up with. I won’t say that I won’t get back in on a decent pull back but I may put myself on a cooling off timeout for the rest of the week or year and just enjoy the holidays. I’m going to have to take a serious look at my settings for this trailing stop EA, I may need breakeven setting that are based on market structure and not pips, if such an EA exists.

My Thoughts
As I watched myself make a rookie mistake with an incomplete analysis of EURAUD, I started to think about what I’m doing with this challenge. After a long layoff from trading, it’s skill rebuilding and confidence rebuilding.

What worries me about this challenge is that I hope that I am not getting more focused on the win rate than the process. The EURAUD trade made me question myself on that point. Was I salvaging a very bad entry on a correct trade or was I protecting my win rate? I had justification to keep the trade after thorough analysis, but it wasn’t lost on me that closing the trade in drawdown would be my first loss in December. I’m human and I’m self-conscious about my trading, especially with allowing myself to be vulnerable to scrutiny.

I’m wondering if doing this challenge and the extra pressure to perform are counter-productive. I may be a better trader if I focused 100% of my energy on the charts and not documenting the process. I’m conflicted about whether to continue documenting the challenge or setting an endpoint so I can focus on treating my trading like a business instead of performing these small account parlor tricks.

To any new traders reading my journal:
This is the reality of trading, every trade isn’t going to go perfectly. You will miss trades, you will mismanage trades, you will be so frustrated with a trade that as soon as practical you’ll close it just to get it off your mind. The gurus don’t tell you this, while they are selling you a dream. They only show you the days when the profits are big and the MT4 screen is all blue.

Trading isn’t a battle with the markets, it’s a battle with yourself. Throughout this challenge it’s never been the market giving me problems, it always been me giving myself problems in the market. It’s not something that you can fix with a new strategy. My strategy and analysis are solid, and yet I still have underperforming trades.

There are no excuses to made. When I win it is because of me. When I lose it is because of me. I consider these underperforming trades as losses and definitely losses of revenue.

Update stats for 12/21/2023
Positions: 9 (50 total)
Wins: 9 (48 total)
Pips: + 26.6 (294.8 total)
P/L: + $1.76 ($211.06 total)
Balance: $711.06

1 Like

This is both irritating and comforting. Irritating that I didn’t capitalize on all of these. Comforting that I got them right and that I remembered to look at the correlations between them all.

USDJPY

GBPJPY - didn’t reach the zone but dropped

EURJPY - didn’t reach the zone but dropped

AUDJPY

CADJPY

NZDJPY

CHFJPY