Most important indicators for you?

What do you believe are the most important/useful indicators?
How many do you use?
Which ones do you use in conjunction with another?
Any indicators you despise or don’t trust?

Of course, I know many of you use indicators to validate others - so please be detailed with which ones you use.

About to start demo trading and before I use any indicators, I’m curious as to which ones you guys find useful. Thanks

2 Likes

As from my experience, only few indicators could be useful.

1. Moving average. The SMA 200 on daily shows the general trend. I had several experiments with EMA 9 and EMA 30 on 5 minutes charts, but there were no sufficient results.

2. RSI. Sometimes it works for commodities like Gold or Oil. But there should be no any news, otherwise there would be a trend movement.

3. VWAP. It is not for Forex, but for stocks, but it works as support/resistance level. Actulally, professional stock traders use VWAP as only indicator for daytrading.

If you are interested in indicators, try to find the book “Technical Analysis” by S.Achelis, it covers all the questions related. You can also make your own research on indicator-based strategies using backtesting software (like Forex Tester, or something similar to it). Such strategies work independently of market conditions, so the resulst of backtesting will be relevant.

4 Likes

I use only MA’s, as my strategy is only concerned with getting me into / out of trades which are trend-following. The indicator should match the strategy, so that the only indicators you use should be essential for trading decisions and also tell you something which price does not.

3 Likes

Hmmm. :thinking: Since I’m currently following a system, I’d have to say that the ones I use for it are the most important indicators for me. So that would be MA’s, RSI, and ADX. :smiley: Also reading the previous answers, I guess MA’s are really widely used and are a big help, especially if you want to keep things simple and not use too many indicators. :smiley:

1 Like

Moving Average (MA) is one of the most important indicators as far as my trading is concerned. I guess most of us use this strategy.

2 Likes

ATR, hands down.

4 Likes

MAs are one of my staple indicators also. :grin:

1 Like

MAs (50, 100, 200) for support and resistance levels. MACD for trend confirmation. The occasional RSI for convergence/divergence

1 Like

I personally like Moving Averages indicators.

One of the 2 strategies i trade uses indicators.
Basically it relies on 3 SMA.

30 SMA
50 SMA
100 SMA

What time frame use for better trade

All indicators are based on mathematical formulae applied to past price action. There are two indicators recommended by an ex bank trader who I’m following. Those indicators are Stochastic and the Kumo Cloud part of Ichimoku Kinko Hyo. Stochastic is great to inform you when the trend is ending. For a buy trade it will hopefully go to oversold (above 80) and sell trade will hopefully go to overbought (below 20). And the Kumo Cloud is good for trading any Japanese pair because many Japanese traders use the cloud.
Wishing you all the best with your learning journey.

1 Like

Mostly instead of indicators you want to trade the forex news calendar. That will tell you when to trade.

1 Like

tick volume or real volume in every market, that s my holy grail

TimeFrame Elasticity…

1 Like

Ok…:laughing: I have to ask…does this refer to multi time frame charting/analysis?

KC

Since the strategy is based on multiple time frame analysis I prefer to use the indicators on the 30mins and 4HR timeframes cus they hit the sweetspot for me :ok_hand:t6:

For me, the ONE indicator that has helped my trading massively is the HULL 21 moving average on the daily charts. Even in isolation, this indicator delivers, and particularly in the way I use it. I also use double MACD, daily pivots and fractals. Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

The most important for me is understanding time frame theory and range theory. Knowing price action trigger patterns like candle formations.

Range theory: every time frame has an average range. And that range can be violated on news events, blow offs or break outs. But on average it has a stable average range. The higher the time frame the bigger the average range. Knowing this and combining this with trigger patterns theory opens the door for me to spot probable trends before they occur.

Example: Applying Bulkowski’s candle pattern measure rule for a Bearish Harami. Bulkowski asigns the profit target to be on average 54% of the range of the two bar formation from the breakout of the pattern low.

Now this may not seem like a lot on a 15 min chart.
But if I apply this theory to a daily Bearish Harami and monitor the break out on an hourly chart. 54% of the daily range greatly increases due to concept of range theory.

This theory can be applied to all set ups. And for me is the best indicators I have found to be useful.
Basically a set up on a higher time frame can create a trend on lower time frame.