MT4 on mac?

Does anyone know if its possible to get MT4 on a mac?
Ive downloaded it and when i try to open it it opens in text edit
any help is appreciated
thanks

I run Parallels on my Mac so it allows me to run Windows. From there I can access Metatrader. You can also run Metatrader on a VPS and access it via your Mac.

not sure how good Wine is for metatrader but others have managed it

Running MetaTrader 4 (MT4) on Mac OS X | Alan’s Forex Blog

N

I use Parallels on my Mac as well. With coherence mode and Spaces in Leopard, it works like a charm to keep my copy of XP separate from my OS X stuff. :slight_smile:

+1 for Parallels, works great for me.

Personally I’ve had problems using Parallels - it doesn’t strike me as the most user friendly software - but I’ve had no issues running Windows 7 in a separate partition and using the PC version of MT4.

i installed mt4 through vmware fusion and never had any problems with it

I also use vmware fusion, I think it’s better than parallels …

Best Regards,
Matt Jones

What if you have an older mac, powerbook running tiger ( none intel base) is it possible to get mt4??

thanks.

I have just switched to mac and am using parallells too. No problems as yet. Although I have lost the ability to use trailing stop for some reason. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I signed up with a firm (Power Trading FX)… a couple months ago & they use MT4, and I had the same issue since I use all apple computers!
i’ve been using parallels and so far it also has been fine, however, I do agree it hasn’t been the easiest. I’m wondering if anyone has used both and has an opinion of which is better?

I started using parallels v5 and swapped to VM fusion which I thought was better at the time. Then I purchased a new iMac and tried virtual box (didn’t like it too much) and have now gone back to parallels v6 which is a great improvement.
So out of all three, I prefer parallels!

Using Parallels too, no issues.

If you have issues with the trailing stop, it’s probably a MT4 issue rather than a Parallels issue.

Hi NadeemUmar (and any future readers)…

To Run MT4 on Mac OS X (for me) you have several options: Parallels or VMWare Fusion for Mac, which creates a second environment on your mac, which you then install windows XP or similar, then install the windows version of MT4. Secondly you can use CrossOver XI or Wine for Mac, which creates a ‘wrapper’ around the windows software, I’ve had zero success using the wine app, after several attempts.

The third option which has just become available and hopefully all brokers take this up, is that several brokers are now offering their own MT4 for Mac versions, a quick google of MT4 for mac will list a few brokers.

I’ve asked my broker when they’re releasing theirs!

Hope this helps.

There are several solutions beside the use of “web traders” provided by your brokers and which are not as complete as MT4

There is a post on the subject on the site obviousforex.com
Free or paying, with or without Microsoft Windows.
Crossover, VMware fusion, Oracle virtualbox, Parallels desktops, Winebottler, bootcamp and restarting your Mac every time you need to change OS…

Personally I use Parallels 7 and windows 7. Just because by the time I wanted to move from PC to Mac I didn’t know other reliable solutions. It works ok.

You have much more possibilities today, worth checking and testing.
Hope the link will help. It’s up to date with the latest version of Fusion5 in August 2012

Mac users can now run Meta Trader 4 on a Mac without installing Windows with just a few simple clicks.

Go to 77z3-fx (.) com and download macwrapper for free

I trade with IronFx, they just have bought solution MT4 for Mac versions from SerSart and now I trade on Mac free of charge. It is really easy and no headache. I think that not only a trading house but a trader also can buy this option directly from SerSart. Here is the link sersart.com/platforms-for-mac they also have a demo version, so you can try it.
I hope it will be helpful for you.

I lately discovered Play on Mac (you’ll find it here: playonmac.com/en/download) thanks to obviousforex.com
It works great for MT4.
It was first made to run microsoft games on Mac.
I quit parallels desktop that slowed both my Mac and MT4 and now run my different brokers MT4 (finexo, pepperstone, fxpro) with play on mac.
It’s fast, free and invisible. And of course, it works perfect.

Otherwise, Xemarkets (a broker) offers a .dmg version of MT4.
It’s certainly the easiest way to do (if you plan to trade with this broker). It works like any Mac software. Download, paste in your application folder and it’s done.

Hi. Thank you for suggesting playonmac. I installed it and then used it to install metatrader 4 on mac. It’s starts but the moment I close the programme it disappears. I then need to reinstall the metatrader every time.

I was hoping you could suggest a solution.

Thanks

Once your broker’s MT4 is installed
You should create a shortcut on your desk. To do so: Open PlayOnMac, chose your broker’s MT4 and create a shortcut by simply clicking on the create a shortcut button.
It will open your platform (as if you clicked on terminal.exe, the MT4 exe).
When you want to quit, click on the red cross and that’s it.
The platform will be opened and closed without opening and closing specificaly PlayOnMac, but just MT4 via PlayOnMac.