My article on trading a NZD/JPY long-term reversal to the downside

Okay traders! How are things shaping up for the Kiwi?

Well, the NZD/USD is now at 0.7284, and this is thanks to a double whammy:

1. from 8pm to 9pm last night, a trading volume of about 150million units helped breaking the 0.74 level;

2. from 8am to 9am this morning, at the London open, a similar volume helped breaking the 0.73 level.

Similarly NZD/JPY has also made a definite move through two levels and at the same time as NZD/USD,

breaking first the 87.00 level, and today the 0.86 one.

Where do we go from here?

There will be some time needed for the markets to ‘digest’ the ECB announcement from last week,

the Fed’s confirmed hawkish view (long-term) but also its status quo (medium-term) in terms of rate hikes,

and Greece is also somewhere in the background (although its new government’s impact on the markets is

yet to be fathomed)… In terms of the RBNZ, it was an expected result, so the boat was not rocked by the

no-rate outcome; however, the downward trend for the Kiwi is still here, for now, and the past twelve hours

just helped it along a little more…

Kiwi-Dollar target: 0.72?

Price & Time: Kiwi Breakdown Continues: Price \u0026 Time: Kiwi Breakdown Continues

NZD/JPY gets under 85.60 today. Over 830 pips down since the Dec 29 high. About 225 pips to go to break below the Oct 16 minor low.

What defines a price level as a minor low for you?
To me, that 84 zone is a MAJOR level.

-It’s the most recent significant higher low which led to the most recent significant higher high print.
-Price spent about a month b/w 84 - 86, got bid up and didn’t revisit such a price until this week (about 2x as long).
-I feel this is a demand zone where bulls can re-accumulate after a nice shakeout (off the RBNZ comments). Risk still continues to prevail across the globe. If 84 gets taken out, bulls will need to be much more cautious (We’re still in an uptrend here).

The attempt on 94 (to me) looks more like profit-taking then counter-trend sellers. It corresponds w/ the end of the year, and seeing the NZDJPY is moving up, buyers need to become sellers to book profit on the year and move onto the next.

I think the markets are still trying to figure out what the hell the FED is going to do, and it’s impacting their ability to make trades elsewhere. Volatility has just been crazy these last 2 months.

Jake

Yeah, I guess technically I should say “secondary swing low”. It is nothing more than the lowest low in a swing down during a primary upward trend. It is precisely as you said: “[I]the most recent significant higher low which led to the most recent significant higher high print.[/I]” That is exactly what I am pointing out about it. And that is why I am mentioning the 200+ pips between the current price and that level. The current 3 day range is bigger than that distance, but there could be a lot of support between here and green pastures south of that for those tripping on this LSD.

This is to contrast NZD/JPY against the EUR/JPY which has already managed to break below the last secondary swing low in the previous primary upward trend.

What would be pretty would be a slide beneath the low of Oct 16th, a rally back up to it and a bounce off of it again to the south. It is entirely possible it could stay between the current level and 83.30 clear into March as it did so for a month back in October as you mentioned.

And most important: I would agree that if NZD/JPY cannot get under that 16th low before climbing back above the Dec 29th high, we are still in an upward trend.

I am betting that NZD/JPY will not hit a new 10-day high before Wednesday, February 11th. If it does I am taking my loss and getting out. If it does not I will take a profit at the next 10-day high unless it manages to get below that Oct 16th low. In which case I will consider this a primary bear trend and I will wait for a new 4 week high to get out.

Thank you for your contributions, Jake and Arbitrager…

For all that is worth, I decided to cover my positions, given that the pairs completely stalled in the past twelve hours or more,

as we were heading into the end of the week and the end of the month… a good time to take stock.

On the live account, I took nearly 100 pips, and on the demo account about 135…

My move was quite conservative on the live account because I waited for confirmation after the RBNZ rate decision that

the bear trend would continue, but by reducing how much of the move I caught I also reduced the risk on the trade and

increased the probability of success. Very happy with that and will watch volume figures on NZD/USD next week, with

the new month bringing new opportunities…

HAPPY TRADING.

Well, NZD/JPY just broke new lows, cracking the 85.00 level, on the back of strong selling on NZD/USD (due to good

US data at 1.30pm GMT)…

I am jumping in on an NZD/JPY short with the demo account to see how far this one will ride…

Today’s low is currently another 85 pips south of yesterday’s. This opens up the 3-day price range to 355 from 270 and strikes within less than 150 pips from the Oct 16th low. Today’s range is almost exactly the distance to that low. This is a strong dive to that level perhaps indicating the bulls are all there waiting.

Where will the stops be for those bulls? My guess is just under that Feb 2, 2014 low which is just under 200 pips lower than the Oct 16th low. Perhaps the shorters will take profit between those levels from 81.50 to 83.30 and the price will form a line before a new leg lower.

NZD/JPY hits 84.03, 70 pips to go to strike that Oct. 16th low.

Good morning traders!

Well, last night both NZD/USD and NZD/JPY moved low with a drop of about 100 pips, following the RBA rate cut: I was short before the event, and my expectation of a negative NZD reaction was confirmed, albeit I was not so sure what would have happened in the event of a rate hold, for example.

NZD/USD selling (hourly) volume between 3am and 4am was over 100m units, which was roughly the same as last Thursday, during the RBNZ rate-hold announcement… Unfortunately (for bears) the NZD attempted some recovery between Friday afternoon and Monday evening, so that the sell-off from last night brought it back only just lower than what it was on Thursday… Where do we go from here?

Well, the NZD/JPY on the daily chart is at the level of a long upward trend-line and on the monthly it is hovering just above the 25-day moving average (currently at 83.12), but these levels may mean very little if there is enough fundamental momentum to break them.

Tonight’s NZ (un)employment data release is unlikely to be earth-shattering, following the RBNZ rate-hold and statement last week, but it could still be used by money-makers to flush some stops and force the NZD value lower (or mount a recovery, if employment data should beat expectations, possibly). What can we expect from the figures? Employment has been improving but wage-growth has been very slow, so it is difficult to say what to expect in terms of a reaction; here is an article to help us gauge the situation:

Robust economy encouraging people to work | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News

Good luck trading out there.

Bulls leaped on NZD/JPY today. A new 3-day high. Today’s low at 84.06 could be the bottom for the pair for some days.

Yes, go figure!

NZD/JPY looks like it will close the week out well over 87.000, maybe even 87.500. That is about 90 pips below the 200-day moving average and 170 pips below the current 10-day high. If it strikes the 28th high next week, I am covering my short.

The Yen is a tough buy long term…with all the QE programs across the globe, investors will take advantage of the complacency.

I’ve heard some pretty reputable traders even call for the US to introduce a QE4 program soon…yikes.

It will be QEinfinity but they will call it Taper.

Good morning traders, from Orkney!

Well, all USD pairs, including the NZD/USD, moved south by over 100 pips, while NZD/JPY, for example, went the opposite way
… Why? USD/JPY led the way for all Yen pairs, therefore pulling NZD/JPY in the opposite direction of NZD/USD…

Beware: USD/JPY is a counter-intuitive pair… Risk-aversion is a real threat to the pair: when flight from failing equities and risky assets will hit the markets, the USD will benefit but USD/JPY will fall. What we saw on Friday’s USD/JPY is not a risk-on, ‘carry’ trade, but, in the lack of any risk-aversion or Yen-appreciation theme, it just followed the US good news enthusiasm…

That is my explanation for it… However, NZD/JPY has not risen back above the 0.78 level, which is now poised as a supply level, and the downtrend is still looking strong. Next week we may see a resumption of the NZD/USD and NZD/JPY positive correlation, past the temporary swell driven by the USD/JPY.

Hello traders,

here are the two historical comparisons, which I made on FXtop.com:

1. NZD/JPY (in pink) and USD/JPY (in blue):

1. NZD/USD (in pink) and NZD/JPY (in red):

As you can see there will be periods where correlation between a pair of currencies will fail,

for reasons not always easy to isolate, so that a currency like the NZD/JPY may be at times

trending with the NZD/USD on the RBNZ rate speculation, and at times with the USD/JPY as

carry / ‘risk’ trade.

Enjoy…

Currencies are the least correlated of all asset classes.

Gulf Times - BoJ likely to hold policy steady until Oct