Yeah, I’m deep into learning the concepts now. It’s complex but finally starting to click.
Appreciate you looking out!
Yeah, I’m deep into learning the concepts now. It’s complex but finally starting to click.
Appreciate you looking out!
That’s a brilliant quote. It hits on something crucial I’m realizing: the real edge isn’t in the strategy itself, but in the unwavering trust you build in your own way.
Thanks for sharing that, @Johnny1974
Consistency is really the name of the game. And its the thing you can completely blow up in a single trade if you’re not disciplined and using proper risk management.
I don’t know how many times I’ve had a FOMO trade blow me up. I don’t know how many times a winning streak turned into a losing streak because I thought I knew what the market was going to do, and I broke away from my rules, and then the market did the complete opposite and continued to do the opposite for a really long time.
At least in my experience you have to do the boring stuff over and over and over and half the time you might still lose, but the other half of the time is enough to make you profitable. But will the first 50% keep you from coming back and wear you down because you think you need to win more?
Risk management and it’s effect on profitability is key to understanding how often you really need to win. You don’t need to win every trade. New traders get caught up in that close to 100% win rate. It’s not necessary. You could even win less than 50% and still come out on top.
This really hits home. I’ve blown up my account too by chasing trades and breaking my rules.
You’re so right about the boring stuff. I’m learning that discipline is more important than any secret strategy.
And realizing I don’t need a high win rate to be profitable? That changes everything. Thank you for this reality check.
Yes, this.
Discipline to review this week’s events.
Discipline to use the correct position sizing based on your account funds.
Discipline to add stops.
Discipline to add TPs.
Discipline not to FOMO in because you see giant candles moving fast.
Discipline not to revenge trade.
Discipline to stick to your entry and exit rules.
Discipline to trade with the trend for the highest chance of success.
Discipline to journal your trades.
Discipline to review your losing trades and learn from them.
There’s more but this should help keep you on track.
I think a high win rate is very strongly advisable, especially in the early stages.
As anyone who has ever worked in the industry will tell you, they actually collectively do exactly the opposite!
I think this is awful advice.
People have different opinions about what’s a “good” R/R. Some people think “good” and “high” are similar (newsflash: they’re not!).
In forums, many people like (and advise) risk to reward of 1:2+; among professional and successful traders, 1:1 is about the maximum; among prop firm customers doing evaluations, the average is 1:2+ (they always say) but among the far smaller proportion of people actually passing them, it’s normally under 1:1; in the trading industry, on trading floors, for fast intraday trading, around 0.7 or 0.75 is actually pretty standard.
But there you go: we all decide for ourselves whose advice we choose to listen to.
For anyone open-minded enough to look at some experienced, professional, successful traders explaining why the popular forum advice of 1:2 and a lower win-rate is so mistaken and misguided, the links below might be interesting -
This is incredibly valuable context, thank you. It seems the core of your argument is about the realistic execution of a trading plan, which is exactly what I’m trying to learn.
My current strategy is built on the institutional sweep concept, which theoretically aims for those larger moves. I’m going to demo-trade it as designed, but I’ll now be paying very close attention to the relationship between my win rate and my average R:R.
Your point hasn’t changed my plan, but it has sharpened my focus. I’m no longer just looking for ‘profits’, I’m now specifically testing whether I can achieve the win rate this strategy requires to be viable.
Nice journey and respect for sticking through all those cycles. Most people disappear after the first few blows but you are committed and that says a lot. The restart phase hits hard but it’s also where things finally click if you slow down like you’re doing now. A couple thoughts that helped me: Journal your emotions as much as your trades coz half the game is mindset. A good routine beats motivation as charts feel easier when you have structure. Stay in the slow lane until it starts paying you to speed up.
You’re right about writing down my feelings. I just started tracking my trades, but I will add my emotions too.
“Stay in the slow lane” - I like that. I’m learning to be patient now.
I appreciate your advice.
I just realized something, I’m actually really enjoying this forum. Learning from everyone’s experience makes the journey feel less lonely. Thanks for all the support.
Anything stick from ICT? Or too much noise?
I picked up a few ideas like liquidity and structure from ICT, but the full system was overwhelming for me.
Your journey is more valuable than the profits you were chasing most traders never survive long enough to restart with clarity. The difference now is you’re learning with intention instead of hope. Demo trading, structured study and slowing down are signs of growth, not delay.
My advice? Build one system, master one pair, and ignore everything that isn’t measurable. Journal every trade, including the ones you didn’t take discipline is built in the space between impulse and execution. If you focus on process over outcome, consistency will follow, just like compounding.
You’re not starting over you’re starting smarter. Keep going.
Thank you Amy
Where to start you think? Find one and just try it? Or literally make something from scratch?
Yea there’s a lot going on. Did you do the full series of videos? I hopped around a lot. Maybe that’s why the concepts were a little tough to get.
Yeah, hopping around can definitely make ICT feel way more confusing than it needs to be. The concepts build on each other, so it helps to go step by step and focus on one idea at a time. Then backtest it a bit so you’re not guessing.
So you’re a fan?
Maybe I need to go back and rewatch them all in order. He talks. A LOT.
Lebohang here again.Former account blower.
I followed signals, chased trades… basically donated money to the market for years.
But this time is different.
I slowed down, went back to basics, and actually started understandingwhat I’m doing.
Now I trade less, think more, and my account is finally breathing.
Still learning, still improving, but at least now I’m not the market’s favorite customer.
Progress ![]()
Hey how are you
Progress…I’ll drink to that.
